Options

Must try these beers while in WI for PJ20

13»

Comments

• Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    RFTC wrote:
    Booked the Friday Sept 2nd Hard Hat tour at New Glarus over the weekend, and bought a massive 165 qt Igloo cooler yesterday at Costco, strictly for the purpose of stockpiling New Glarus beers on PJ20 weekend...

I might be a beer knurd :)

Anyone know off hand if Three Floyds distributes to Wisc as well? Need some Dreadnaught and Gumballhead too!!!

i will be at new glarus friday afternoon round 3-5 then some 3ff hunting before the wishlist gig, i am bringing 12 bombers of homebrew for the sat tailgate party, the BA's on this thread need to get together.

I'll be bringing my homebrew as well. When and where?
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    I prefer hoppier beers, so... New Glarus has an excellent double IPA. Don't know what the name of it is but it comes in a four-pack and the bottles are marked I.I.P.A on the neck. Ale Asylum's Bedlam is awesome, and their seasonal Satisfaction Jacksin is supposed to be available in September. Never had it but with 3# of hops :D Lakefront makes some great brews. If you're in Madison stop by a Great Dane. They don't sell 6-packs but you can get a growler (64oz jug) to go :D

I will be in Madison, for the football game in fact on Thursday night. Any good bars with great tap lists to suggest?

Also, I think the New Glarus IIPA was their "thumbprint" beer, that was their spring release. Know any stores that might still have some, it was definitely on my list.
    Lolla St. Louis 92, StL 98, Kansas City 98, Knoxville 98, StL 00, Kansas City 00, Oklahoma City 03, StL 03, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Kansas City 03, Philly x 2 03, MSG x 2 03, StL 04, GR 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, SF x 3 06, Portland, Gorge x 2 06, MSG x 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield x 2 08
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,600
    kramer73 wrote:
    I could bring a kegger of Point Special.

Oh wait, everyone will be sure to hate me come morning as they are exploding in the nearest port-o-shit.

I lived on Point Special for 4 1/2 years while at school at UWSP.
    Ouch! :D:lol::lol::lol: I'll bring you something better Sat ;)

ha! yeah, I will bring better stuff too. I'm not too sure how early I'll be there though. Depends on if we have an late check-in at the hotel.
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    edited August 2011
    I have friends who have never partaken in the goodness that is Midwestern beers going to Alpine, so I decided to stock up on a shitload of craft brews for all of us to enjoy. So far I have Founders' Old Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Dirty Bastard, and Double Trouble, Great Lakes Eliot Ness and Burning River, Columbus Brewing Co's IPA and Summer Teeth, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co's Barktoberfest, Elevator Bleeding Buckeye, Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Troegs Hop Back Amber, Bell's Two Hearted, and a mini keg of Oberon... might pick up some others along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone in the VIP lot will have anything exotic for me to trade for.
    Post edited by sigh eternally on
  • Options
    BeerBaronBeerBaron Toronto-ish Posts: 4,089
    I have friends who has never partaken in the goodness that is Midwestern beers going to Alpine, so I decided to stock up on a shitload of craft brews for all of us to enjoy. So far I have Founders' Old Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Dirty Bastard, and Double Trouble, Great Lakes Eliot Ness and Burning River, Columbus Brewing Co's IPA and Summer Teeth, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co's Barktoberfest, Elevator Bleeding Buckeye, Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Troegs Hop Back Amber, Bell's Two Hearted, and a mini keg of Oberon... might pick up some others along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone in the VIP lot will have anything exotic for me to trade for.
    I might come to PJ20 just to tailgate with you ... :)
    1996: Toronto 1998: Barrie 2000: Saratoga Springs 2003: Buffalo, Toronto 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2006: Toronto x2, Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Gorge #1 2007: London, Dusseldorf, Vic, Lolla 2008: WPB, Tampa, DC, MSG x2, Hartford, Boston x2, Beacon 2009: Toronto, Chicago x2, Seattle x2, LA #3&4, San Diego, Philly x4 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford 2011: Montreal, Toronto x2, Hamilton 2012: Missoula 2013: London, Wrigley, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Hartford, Dallas, OKC
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i doubt it will be at pj20, but if you're ever out and see a beer called delirium, try it. i'm not a beer drinker but this was good.
  • Options
    i doubt it will be at pj20, but if you're ever out and see a beer called delirium, try it. i'm not a beer drinker but this was good.

Probably Delirium Tremens, which is what the "DT's" are. Gotta love the pink elephants!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/180/1385
    Lolla St. Louis 92, StL 98, Kansas City 98, Knoxville 98, StL 00, Kansas City 00, Oklahoma City 03, StL 03, Cleveland 03, Pittsburgh 03, Kansas City 03, Philly x 2 03, MSG x 2 03, StL 04, GR 06, Cleveland 06, Detroit 06, SF x 3 06, Portland, Gorge x 2 06, MSG x 2 08, Hartford 08, Mansfield x 2 08
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134

Probably Delirium Tremens, which is what the "DT's" are. Gotta love the pink elephants!

that's the one! those pink elephants get me every time
  • Options
    CloneOfASonCloneOfASon Madison, WI Posts: 1,080
    BeerBaron wrote:
    I have friends who has never partaken in the goodness that is Midwestern beers going to Alpine, so I decided to stock up on a shitload of craft brews for all of us to enjoy. So far I have Founders' Old Curmudgeon, Backwoods Bastard, Dirty Bastard, and Double Trouble, Great Lakes Eliot Ness and Burning River, Columbus Brewing Co's IPA and Summer Teeth, Thirsty Dog Brewing Co's Barktoberfest, Elevator Bleeding Buckeye, Alltech Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale, Troegs Hop Back Amber, Bell's Two Hearted, and a mini keg of Oberon... might pick up some others along the way. I'm looking forward to seeing if anyone in the VIP lot will have anything exotic for me to trade for.
    I might come to PJ20 just to tailgate with you ... :)
    Yes, I will definitely be hanging out near your cooler! :D
  • Options

that's the one! those pink elephants get me every time
    Oh yes.. :lol::lol::lol: I may have to pick some of these up. So many choices, so little cooler space! :D:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    Looking for a pair of Saturday reserve tickets... willing to trade an '08 thru '11 Dark Lord Vertical for them?

Sorryyyy I had to do it!! I've been hitting up livenation everyday/night hoping that they release a pair.

Either way I'd like to meet up with some BA's at the show.
  • Options
    zebra27zebra27 Posts: 214
    No votes for Dancing Man Wheat from NG? One of my favorites! If you like wheat beers give it a try if you can find it.

If I were coming ( :( ), I would certainly bring a bunch of Surly for everyone. But, alas, I am not.

-d
  • Options
    RFTCRFTC Posts: 723

Holy shit, you are packing some serious heat w/that lineup. i do have a some RR consecration but planned on drinking it this weekend while brewing a lagunitas ipa clone. you want any beers from TX to trade? jester king's black metal is getting rave reviews...
    San Diego Sports Arena - Oct 25, 2000
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival - May 1, 2010
    Alpine Valley Music Theater - Sep 3-4 2011
    Made In America, Philly - Sep 2, 2012
    EV, Houston - Nov 12-13, 2012
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
    Fenway Night 1, August 2016
    Wrigley, Night 1 August 2018
  • Options
    loadedgun wrote:
    RFTC wrote:
    Booked the Friday Sept 2nd Hard Hat tour at New Glarus over the weekend, and bought a massive 165 qt Igloo cooler yesterday at Costco, strictly for the purpose of stockpiling New Glarus beers on PJ20 weekend...

I might be a beer knurd :)

Anyone know off hand if Three Floyds distributes to Wisc as well? Need some Dreadnaught and Gumballhead too!!!

i will be at new glarus friday afternoon round 3-5 then some 3ff hunting before the wishlist gig, i am bringing 12 bombers of homebrew for the sat tailgate party, the BA's on this thread need to get together.

i will be w/a texas contingent tailgate, piggybacking onto the speedymcready 'tailgate our asses off' tailgate, we could always exchange cell #'s and catch up. i will have a cherry wheat and SN celebration ale clone, and a bunch of new glarus brews.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    Holy shit, you are packing some serious heat w/that lineup. i do have a some RR consecration but planned on drinking it this weekend while brewing a lagunitas ipa clone. you want any beers from TX to trade? jester king's black metal is getting rave reviews...
    :thumbup: :thumbup: Little Sumpin'/Little Sumpin' Wild are my current favorite IPAs. Too bad you won't have your's with you. I'm gonna have to hit you up for pointers too! :D
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    :thumbup: :thumbup: Little Sumpin'/Little Sumpin' Wild are my current favorite IPAs. Too bad you won't have your's with you. I'm gonna have to hit you up for pointers too! :D

i visited lagunitas brewery on vacation back in june, man i could have stayed there all night. lil sumpin and sumpin wild are awesome and in my regular rotation. i will bring an arrogant bastard clone for you, its still young (bottled last week) but early indications are good.
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • Options
    RFTC wrote:
    RFTC wrote:

i visited lagunitas brewery on vacation back in june, man i could have stayed there all night. lil sumpin and sumpin wild are awesome and in my regular rotation. i will bring an arrogant bastard clone for you, its still young (bottled last week) but early indications are good.
    :mrgreen::mrgreen::D I've got the bottom of a 6 pack carrier on my fridge to remind me there's a reason to go back to CA :D Stone's brews :lol::lol::lol: were a regular of mine when I lived out there. Don't see them much out here without a $$$ premium. Look forward to trying yours :D:D

Don't have anything of my own yet, but any midwest brews you looking for? I'm planning on bringing up some growlers from the local Madison breweries (Capital, Ale Asylum, Great Dane) and some high end AU wine my brother makes :D
  • Options
    sigh eternallysigh eternally Chicago Posts: 421
    RFTC wrote:

That Black Metal label looks hilarious, and I always love a good stout. I'd be more than happy to trade with you anything I have on the list there, though I only have two bottles of the Backwoods Bastard, and they're from last year's batch, so the taste isn't what it used to be. Let me know if you have any interest.
  • Options
    Thirsty already for the end of the week!
  • Options
    loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,383
    RFTC wrote:
    loadedgun wrote:
    [quote="RFTCi will be at new glarus friday afternoon round 3-5 then some 3ff hunting before the wishlist gig, i am bringing 12 bombers of homebrew for the sat tailgate party, the BA's on this thread need to get together.

i will be w/a texas contingent tailgate, piggybacking onto the speedymcready 'tailgate our asses off' tailgate, we could always exchange cell #'s and catch up. i will have a cherry wheat and SN celebration ale clone, and a bunch of new glarus brews.[/quote]

I just tried the first one out of my latest batch. Hophead Double IPA. Great one for the hop lover. I'll bring plenty up this weekend to trade/share. Excited that it is ready in time.

Not sure where we'll be. Wherever the line of traffic takes us.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • Options
    Just picked up some Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale :D Local store got two cases in today, hadn't even put them on the fridge shelves yet. He also said Lupulin Maximus was done for the year :cry::cry:
  • Options
    new glarus has wood fired, hand tossed pizza at the brewery this Sunday from 11-4. thinking about going, if i'm not too hungover (going to try to make an effort to take it easy) looks like it is about an hour and half from my campground... is this worth it?
  • Options
    Mamasan23Mamasan23 Posts: 16,380
    lucygypsy wrote:
    new glarus has wood fired, hand tossed pizza at the brewery this Sunday from 11-4. thinking about going, if i'm not too hungover (going to try to make an effort to take it easy) looks like it is about an hour and half from my campground... is this worth it?

A couple friends of mine were there last weekend on their annual brewery tour and they couldn't say enough good things about it. You should totally check it out!
    WI '98,  WI '99 (EV),  WI '00,  Chgo '00,  MO '00,  Champaign '03,  Chgo '03,  WI '03,  IN '03,  MI '04,  Chgo '06:N1 & 2,  WI '06,  Chgo '07,  Chgo '08 (EV:N1),  Chgo '09:N1 & 2,  Chgo '11 (EV:N1),  WI '11:N1 & 2,  Philly '12,  Wrigley '13,  Pitt '13,  Buff '13, Detroit '14, MKE '14, Wrigley '16: N1 & N2, Seattle '18 N2, Wrigley '18: N1 & N2, Fenway '18 N1, STL '22, St Paul '23 N2, Chgo '23: N1 & N2
  • Options
    fugawzifugawzi Posts: 874
    I'm sure it's been mentioned here but try any of the Leinenkugel's varieties, my personal favorite from them is the Sunset Wheat. They're a Wisconsin brewery.
    West Palm 2000 I & II/West Palm '03/Tampa '03/Kissimmee '04/Vic Theater '07/West Palm '08/Tampa '08/NYC MSG I & II '08/Philly Spectrum III & IV '09/Cleveland '10/Bristow '10/PJ20 I & II 2011/Pensacola '12/Pittsburgh '13/Denver '14
  • Options
    poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    Spotted Cow is delicious, but please, don't limit yourself to just Spotted Cow! New Glarus has some great, great beers in their lineup such as Fat Squirrel, Bock, Honey Bock, Moon Man Pale Ale, etc.

My suggestion.. get the variety pack and enjoy all that they have to offer!
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
  • Options
    OH my glorious land of beer.

Tyranena out of Lake Mills, Lake Louie Brewery out of Arena, and Furthermore Brewery (particularly awesome) are all great small craft breweries in southern WI. Just thought I would throw their names out there. I will be packing some of those on the Saturday and Sunday tailgating!
  • Options
    i am down for some wood tossed, hand fired pizza on sunday morning after an epic binge fest of pj and beer on saturday! :P :shock:
    MGM Grand - Jul 6, 2006
    Cox Arena - Jul 7, 2006
    Dallas-November 2013
    OKC-November 2013
    ACL 2-October 2014
  • Options
    OH my glorious land of beer.

Tyranena out of Lake Mills, Lake Louie Brewery out of Arena, and Furthermore Brewery (particularly awesome) are all great small craft breweries in southern WI. Just thought I would throw their names out there. I will be packing some of those on the Saturday and Sunday tailgating!
    Oh yes! Almost forgot about Furthermore! :D So many beers to buy, so little time :lol::lol: