My Rant on Eddie Vedder Chicago Night 1

BryantBryant Posts: 139
edited July 2011 in Given To Fly (live)
I first want to say that I have been to a ton of shows in my life time and have been a fan for a very long time, but what I saw on Tuesday night was a Fucking joke. I really think that the crowd did not show any kind of respect to Eddie or Glen.

I cant even count how many times that people were getting up and taking a piss, getting more beer, or just being a bunch of douch bags. I mean really people do that shit before the show starts, and show some fucking respect to the performs that are working there ass off to play for us. I have never and I mean never saw anything like that in my entire life.

This is for the drunk asshole that kept yelling stupid shit everytime Eddie played a PJ song. Ok guy I get it you are a SUPER FAN you know what track simle is on No Code. I could go on and on but really if I was ed up there on stage and seeing all you ungrateful people getting up every 2 seconds to get some more beer, I would have walk off the stage and said FUCK YOU!!

Over all I thought Glen Hansard was fucking amazing and Eddie put on a good show, but shit people show some respect and ACT LIKE YOU HAVE SEEN THEM BEFORE. I hope that tonight the crowd is a little better for everyone that really like great music.

I had to vent so take this what its worth.......
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• tschavtschav Posts: 2,759
    pj diapers in the goods section would prevent so many people taking a piss last night.

it was as if eddie was playing evenflow for two hours.

:)
  • usamamasan1usamamasan1 Posts: 4,695
    Bryant wrote:
    the performs that are working there ass off to play for us.

:lol:
  • BryantBryant Posts: 139
    Bryant wrote:
    the performs that are working there ass off to play for us.

:lol:

OK so I was a little dramatic......but you get my point
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    tschav wrote:

it was as if eddie was playing evenflow for two hours.

:)

:lol::lol::lol:

OP, I feel your pain. Similar stuff happening at Beacon, Night 1 much worse than Night 2. I don't recall having any issues during the 08 tour.
  • maakmaak Posts: 58
    This is rock and roll and not a tea party so what do you expect?
    my cat's breath smells like cat food- RALPH WIGUM
    i can't drive 55
  • There are a LOT of PJ fans that are douche bags. There are more of them that are incredible people but unfortunately, it only takes a handfull to really piss you off and ruin a show. The worst part about it is that I go to a lot of concerts and this only seems to happen at EV shows. Granted, if Pearl Jam shows weren't as loud as they are, you'd hear them yelling in the crowd.

Everytime I'm at a show in a small venue and it gets to a relatively quiet part of the song, I ALWAYS expect some asshole to yell something but it never seems to happen unless it's Eddie up there. It's soooo refreshing to be at a small show where people don't yell at the musician. Shit man, you got me wound up now! :D

DEATH TO THE DOUCHE BAGS! :lol:
    Ed created the beast, now he has to deal with it. hard to tame.

tumblr_kp1oy4e3ZJ1qz4zs7o1_250.jpg
  • joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    Hey I totally agree....people who say he created the beast deal with it or its a rocknroll show....bollox.....its an intimate solo gig and should be respected as such. "thieves of silence" is how ed puts it. I totally dont understand people who chat, run out to toilet and heckle thru the acoustic shows. Trust me, in Australia we had the same PJ douchebags doing this. Tell me, do these same people have to do this shit when they go to a cinema and watch a movie? Im not saying sit in silence like youre at school, but some respect is what im calling for. Go mad thru Porch, Lukin as ed does but get in the moment in arc, man of the hour etc as ed does. RESPECT.
    1 man 1 instrument 1 stage. To me thats an honour and really should be treated as such......
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,832
    People drink at concerts, people piss at concerts. Back in the day it was easy to smoke cigarettes and grass at concerts, now it's like the Gestapo is after you. I don't like the idiot screamers either but you just have to deal with them. Eddie has been around long enough and it probably bothers you more than it does him.
  • Jokertt14Jokertt14 Posts: 2,566
    :?
    Eddie used to protect people from letting security take them away.

Now he directs security to them
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742
    maak wrote:

Nickleback is rock and roll.

When there's nothing on stage but a guy and a guitar, you shut up and listen to be considerate to the musician and the people around you.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    I understand that this is an acoustic show, he ck I was at milwaukee 08 were it seemed the crowd was talking the whole show. I also feel that music is meant to be an escape from life even if for a brief moment. So I just ignore the "distractions" and let the music move me. The same idiots that are at the solo shows are at the pearl jam shows you just can't hear them as well because of the sea of other fans enjoying the music
    maak wrote:

When there's nothing on stage but a guy and a guitar, you shut up and listen to be considerate to the musician and the people around you.
    Kinda harsh don't ya think. Freedom of expression is a freedom? Right
  • rbrum7rbrum7 Posts: 974
    I'm from Cleveland but was in Detroit on Sunday. All in all the crowd was good. Pretty respectful to Eddie, knew mostly everything and actually showed him a lot of love in the little moments or parts of songs you only know as a true fan.

I might have just ignored all the assholes because I was really into the show. There were a couple d bags here and there yelling stuff but I mostly couldn't hear them.

Did he really play Smile on night one of Chicago? I haven't seen it on any setlists I've seen from that night. I've luckily seen it twice in Cleveland and it's one of my favorites. Would have loved to see it solo.
    Cleveland, OH - 8/26/98
    Cleveland, OH - 4/25/03
    Cleveland, OH - 5/20/06
    Cleveland, OH - 5/9/10
    (EV Solo) Detroit, MI - 6/26/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/3/11
    East Troy, WI - 9/4/11
    Chicago, IL - 7/19/13
    Shitsburgh, PA - 10/11/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Los Angeles, CA - 11/23/13
    Detroit, MI - 10/16/14
    Lexington, KY - 4/26/16
    Manchester, TN - 6/11/16
    Chicago, IL - 8/18/18
    Chicago, IL - 8/20/18
    (EV Solo) Tempe, AZ - 3/2/19
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/15/20
    Los Angeles, CA - 4/16/20
  • drummerboy_73drummerboy_73 Las Vegas, NV Posts: 2,011

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...
    Osaka, Japan (2/21/95), San Diego (7/10/98), Las Vegas (10/22/00), San Diego (10/25/00), Las Vegas (6/6/03), Las Vegas (7/6/06), Los Angeles (7/9/06), VH1 Rock Honors (7/12/08), Ed Solo (7/8/11), Ed Solo (11/1/12), Los Angeles (11/23/13)
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,742

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little...

That wasn't a compliment to either Nickleback or a "Rock Show"
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    eddiec wrote:
    People drink at concerts, people piss at concerts. Back in the day it was easy to smoke cigarettes and grass at concerts, now it's like the Gestapo is after you. I don't like the idiot screamers either but you just have to deal with them. Eddie has been around long enough and it probably bothers you more than it does him.

Very well put.

The OP is bitching about too many people taking a piss.. It's a concert...people are going to drink and people are going to piss. Stay home if you can't handle being in a big crowd like that.
  • joewalshdcjoewalshdc Posts: 948
    maak wrote:
    maak wrote:

Kinda harsh don't ya think. Freedom of expression is a freedom? Right

Oh come on....ofcourse its a freedom but really you thinks its called for at an acoustic show because its their right?....
    Oh come on....ofcourse its a freedom but really you thinks its called for at an acoustic show because its their right?....[/quote]
    I'm actually on your side but I think that you get people that can't make the distinction between acoustic and full band. They act the same at either show there are idiots in every crowd. You just try to ignore them. Or wait for the band to write another album like No Code and that will weed out all but the hardcore fans ;)
  • SuziemaySuziemay Posts: 11,164
    eddiec wrote:

Very well put.

The OP is bitching about too many people taking a piss.. It's a concert...people are going to drink and people are going to piss. Stay home if you can't handle being in a big crowd like that.

Ok, I was trying not going to get involved but I feel the need to jump. Every one is entitled to their opinions, and it's cool that some people don't mind the stuff OP is complaining about. Dude probably just had a frustrating night, let him vent a little.

I'm with OP on this though; maybe not quite the same level of frustration but I'm also a week removed from the shows I went to. I didn't mind the occasional screamers, chatter, getting up to pee/get drinks, but at the Beacon 1 show where I was sitting, the people going back and forth to get drinks and pee kept walking in my line of sight. There was not a single song where I could just focus on Ed. And it wasn't just one person. It was always 2-3 at a time, and they would linger and motion to their bf/gf to see how many drinks they wanted. Right in front of where I was sitting so I could not see Ed and I got distracted. Those same people once they returned, proceeded to chatter. I understand this happening periodically during the show, but all throughout, for 2 hours? I'm not asking for everyone to sit still in silence and I don't think OP is either, just a little courtesy to others is all.
  • oceans18oceans18 Posts: 154
    The crowd was not nearly as bad as you're making them sound. If they were that bad, he would have said something other than "I'm happy I didn't need to use my insults" or whatever it was he said. People drink at concerts, therefore go to the bathroom at concerts. Big deal.
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die
    *the in between is mine*
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    It's true, I've seen a lot of other 'quiet' shows at venues ranging from small bars to venues the size Ed plays, and Ed was by far the worst crowd.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • GirlInRedGirlInRed Posts: 166
    at the philly show the girl in front of me was looking at pics on her phone during glen's set...AHHHHH! then kept talking & kissing her BF....AHHHHH!
    there once was a note...LISTEN !
  • nicky-p38nicky-p38 Posts: 392
    I have been to a lot of small venue shows that are quiet and there are always people yelling stupid shit, singing loudly to quiet songs right behind you... :x I agree with the op and ignorant people have ruined shows for me. Ed shows may be worse because the majority of the crowd is used to PJ shows where there is a lot of drinking/yelling... I went to Philly, NY, and DC Ed shows in 08 and DC was the best crowd. Probably why it was used for the DVD.
  • Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,973
    maak wrote:

I agree with everything except that first little ditty about Nickleback ;) He did say rock and roll, not cokrok :)
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • dwhite76dwhite76 Posts: 2,801
    maak wrote:

Ukulele????
    Some words when spoken...Can't be taken back...
  • front spacerfront spacer Earth Posts: 3,246
    Getting up and down all during the show is something I don't understand...I've paid a lot of money for my StL tickets and I can't imagine missing even one second of the show. Here's to hoping Friday's show is without all of the problems described in Chi-town. :D
    Indy - 08.17.98
    Indy - 08.18.00
    Indy - 06.22.03
    Indy - 05.07.10
    EV StL - 07.01.11
    Alpine Valley - 09.03.11, 09.04.11 (PJ20)
    ATL - 09.22.12 (Music Midtown Festival)
    EV Jax - 11.24.12
    Chicago - 07.19.13
    Pittsburgh - 10.11.13
    Moline - 10.17.14 (The No Code Show)
    Milwaukee - 10.20.14 (The Yield Show)
    FtL - 04.08.16
    Miami - 04.09.16
    Tampa - 04.11.16
    Lexington - 04.26.16
    Chicago - 08.20.16, 08.22.16
    Chicago - 08.18.18, 08.20.18