Breath

FrankieGFrankieG Abingdon MD Posts: 9,095
I think it is officially my favorite PJ song... :D

What is everyone's take on the meaning? I love the song, but don't really have a clue to the meaning...

Oh, tonight began with anything.
Shaft of a light. A warm breath and a scream.
Ah, yeah.
Oh, tamper if you like between the doors.
Oh yeah. Huh. Huh.
Oh, can't expect to go out, to go out with anything, anything more.

Oh reach the door. A breath and a...
Oh reach the door. And a la la la la yeah.
Life ain't what it's worth.
A breath and a... Oh reach the door.

All these reaching hands out grabbing things. Grabbing me.
Day in day out accumulating. Ah yeah.
Whoa. I suggest you step out on your porch.
Oh yeah. Huh. huh. Huh huh, yeah.
Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world.

Oh reach the door. A breath and a...
Oh reach the door. Oha and a la la la la yeah.
Life ain't what it's worth.
A breath and a... Oh reach the door.

Come. Here it comes. There it goes. When it comes.
Where it goes. Where it comes.
Can't see through the faith. Woah.
Ooh. Come. Here it comes. There it goes.
Grasp what you can.
Don't you know there's something inside your head, yeah.

Oh, if I knew where it was I would take you there but there's much more
than this.
Ooh. Whoa, much more than this. Woh see the world. Much more than...
Oh, much more than. Why?
2003: 7/14 NJ ... 2006: 6/1 NJ, 6/3 NJ ... 2007: 8/5 IL ... 2008: 6/24 NY, 6/25 NY, 8/7 EV NJ ... 2009: 10/27 PA, 10/28 PA, 10/30 PA, 10/31 PA
2010: 5/20 NY, 5/21 NY ... 2011: 6/21 EV NY, 9/3 WI, 9/4 WI ... 2012: 9/2 PA, 9/22 GA ... 2013: 10/18 NY, 10/19 NY, 10/21 PA, 10/22 PA, 10/27 MD
2015: 9/23 NY, 9/26 NY ... 2016: 4/28 PA, 4/29 PA, 5/1 NY, 5/2 NY, 6/11 TN, 8/7 MA, 11/4 TOTD PA, 11/5 TOTD PA ... 2018: 8/10 WA ---- http://imgur.com/a/nk0s7
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,141
    for me is a celebration in life,live every minute!!!about how great advenuture is life,to get your own experience,live on the edge,get out of your self,live ,,,dont have to remind your self that you have to breathe for stay Alive...just do it..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Pearl DrummerPearl Drummer Posts: 4,617
    for me is a celebration in life,live every minute!!!about how great advenuture is life,to get your own experience,live on the edge,get out of your self,live ,,,dont have to remind your self that you have to breathe for stay Alive...just do it..
    Well said Dimi :D
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense"

Mansfield 08 1
    Boston 2010
    Montreal 2011
    EV Prov 11
    Worcester 1 13
    Worcester 2 13
    Hartford 13
    Boston 16 - 1
    Boston 16 - 2
    Boston 18 - 1
    Boston 18 -2 
  • DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    and a scream
  • number1PJfannumber1PJfan Posts: 3,748
    I love it too, sing it at the top of my lungs. Would love to hear it live, haven't been so lucky. I'm with Dimi, don't let anybody drag you down, get the f out and do what you want. Don't just stand there boy, go out and do it and do it great.
  • Vedda11Vedda11 Posts: 35
    I am prob wrong...but....To me....this is the best anti-suicide song ever!!! The meaning I pull out of it is whatever you are going through LIFE ant what its worth...suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem right? SO OOOH Reach the door (get out) with a breath and a scream...Go SEE the world, there is so much more to life than one who is stuck in their own shit can see. We all get stuck in our heads sometimes...time to step out on your porch (physically and mentally speaking)...

Eddie is a genious :think:
    Nothing said what a waste :)
  • tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    This song has a lot of personal meaning for me, and I have my own interpretation of what it might specifically be about.

In its broadest sense though, I think it is about Escape - about reaching out to escape from a terrible situation.

I love this bit:

I suggest you step out on your porch.
    Oh yeah.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh see the world

This is Eddie at his very best - singing in a way that reaches out the listener. Powerful enough to make you wanna take his advice!
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • one of my favourite songs ever. the moment i heard this, i knew that pj would mean a lot to me as a band, the music just felt so important and real.

i agree with dimi and tremors - i also think it's about living, about being free, not holding back. escape and just being yourself, living for the moment.

i love it
    one of my favourite songs ever. the moment i heard this, i knew that pj would mean a lot to me as a band, the music just felt so important and real.

i agree with dimi and tremors - i also think it's about living, about being free, not holding back. escape and just being yourself, living for the moment.

i love it

It has a magic to it - the Pearl Jam magic. I hear it as the singer looking back on darker times, and pumping in the energy needed to change the situation - the reaching grabbing hands - from where he is right now.. I think it has many themes which Eddie will return to time and again in his songs. Pearl Jam is powerful stuff, and it rarely gets more powerful than this.

• jonesjc14jonesjc14 Posts: 32
    Tamper if you like, between the doors.... can't expect to go out, to go out with anything, anything more.

Favorite lyric, I interpret as life being about the journey and not the destination, in common words. I think it also means work through problems efficiently, and don't let them drag you down.

Reaching the door I think is referring to the mental release of freeing yourself from negativity

I agree that this song has tremendous power to it lyrically and musically
    "Locking up a drug dealer isn't a deterrent, it's a job opening."
  • Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    When I just read the lyrics it struck me that this was about the situation I was in when I decided to take the challenge and go to PJ20. I've been working for almost 6 years nonstop now, and been through a tough and long time of lovesickness in which I sort of isolated myself. Not from friends, though, but from bigger challenges. I haven't been on vacation since the break up, cause I was afraid of going out into the world alone. Nevertheless, after almost six years, my heart break seems to be cured (with a lot of help from listening to PJ), and now I'm ready to step out on my porch and see the world. So America and PJ20, here I come :D And i'd love to hear Breath there! (or at one of the two Toronto shows 8-) )
    how fuckin beautiful was that Lisa......thanks for sharing..
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”

:oops: Sometimes it feels like a therapy group on here :lol: Thank you, Dimi.
    Leeze wrote:

:oops: Sometimes it feels like a therapy group on here :lol: Thank you, Dimi.
    i know..i have 40000 posts.. :lol:
  • Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300

very well said Dimi.....love this song!!
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
    Paulina87 wrote:

very well said Dimi.....love this song!!
    :)
  • GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    When Ed sings "There's much more THAN THIS!!!".......i get goosebumps every single time.

PJ20 cannot come quickly enough, swear to god.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • curlycurly Posts: 703
    what a great great song...purchased the Singles soundtrack back in 92 or 1993 and this one was an instant fav for me and has been ever since...So glad Pj plays this more often nowadays...cause when it seemed like they didnt play it for a long time...and then when Ed completely forgot the lyrics (State College, Pennsyvania 2003)...It was great to hear the crowd sing the verses for him and get him back on track (also give credit to the fans in Penn for so many of them to know it that well) ...recent tours, lately...He's back to nailing the song and wow, its a goodie!!! I love the way the guitars sound like mother Love Bone..but the Lyrics are Eddie all the way...My 13 yr old son just learned this one a few months ago...He couldnt help but notice how nuts i went singing it in the car one day...He was like "Dad, Woah..wo ..wo.." Then we kept it in rotation for a few weeks so he'd know it permanately...Thanks for listening...Curly
  • vedder89vedder89 Posts: 177
    Well said Dimi :D

:clap::clap::clap:

perfection
    Stab it down, fill the pages, suck my fuckin' life out, man
    Suave.27 wrote:

That one must have been for Lisa

tremors wrote:
    Suave.27 wrote:

:D
    Leeze wrote:
    tremors wrote:
    Suave.27 wrote:

:D

:D:D:D

• 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,480
    Run away my son
    See it all
    See the world
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..