Playing Pearl Jam on Guitar

cyndarious1cyndarious1 Posts: 430
edited June 2011 in The Porch
Does it happen to you, guys, the ones who play the guitar, that you have ONE song to charm an audience? What PJ song do you play and/or sing to give them a treat?

When I'm with people who don't know the band very well I always play Last Kiss. I'm sure most of them might have heard the song somewhere, and even when they don't seem to know it, it's very probable that they'll like it. Besides it's really easy to play and I can teach it to anybody :)
November 22nd, 2005.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    Off He Goes sounds great with little effort. And anyone could play Thin Air and sound good.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • nocode85nocode85 Posts: 133
    I always always play Yellow Ledbetter. Everyone knows it and its extremely fun to play. Such an incredible riff. I'd like to play a lot of other songs... but not a lot of people know all my favorites.
    St. Louis '00, St. Louis '03, St. Louis '04, Chicago '06, LA '06, Chicago '07, D.C. '08, Chicago '09, St. Louis '10, East Troy '11(1), East Troy '11(2), Atlanta '12, Chicago '13, Oklahoma City '13, St. Louis '14, Moline '14, Milwaukee '14, Lexington '16, Chicago '16, Chicago '16
  • cyndarious1cyndarious1 Posts: 430
    You can get very intense moments when playing Black too :)
    November 22nd, 2005.
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Cardiff Posts: 743
    If it's an acoustic guitar then I tend to break out something like Off He Goes, EWBTCIAST or Low Light. But my ultimate 'impress a fellow Pearl Jam fan' tactic is to play the intro riff to Given To Fly on an electric, complete with the flanger & chorus effects. Pretty simple to play, but sounds incredible!

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,587
    If it's an acoustic guitar then I tend to break out something like Off He Goes, EWBTCIAST or Low Light. But my ultimate 'impress a fellow Pearl Jam fan' tactic is to play the intro riff to Given To Fly on an electric, complete with the flanger & chorus effects. Pretty simple to play, but sounds incredible!

Isn't Given to Fly in an alternate tuning? I've tried to play it in standard, but it doesn't really work.

I love playing Given to Fly, but I never do it because I have to tune the guitar in a completely different way :roll:
    November 22nd, 2005.
    Go Beavers wrote:

Isn't Given to Fly in an alternate tuning? I've tried to play it in standard, but it doesn't really work.

Hmmm, you might be right - but I've been playing it in standard tuning using a tab I found years ago and it sounds pretty good. I'd be keen to get my hands on an alternate tuning tab though, if this is the case.

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Go Beavers wrote:

Hmmm, you might be right - but I've been playing it in standard tuning using a tab I found years ago and it sounds pretty good. I'd be keen to get my hands on an alternate tuning tab though, if this is the case.

it can be played either way....it's a bit tougher in standard tuning, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    my number one is porch acoustically. runner up is immortality. 3rd place goes to in hiding and honorable mention is parting ways. all on acoustic.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    Go Beavers wrote:

Here you have. I used to play it this way like 5 years ago. It sounded awesome, just like the original.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pearl_jam/given_to_fly_ver2_tab.htm
    November 22nd, 2005.

Here you have. I used to play it this way like 5 years ago. It sounded awesome, just like the original.

http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/p/pearl_jam/given_to_fly_ver2_tab.htm

Cool - thanks! That looks like it's within my (limited) abilities - looking forward to giving it a shot.

• The AkkusThe Akkus Posts: 1,093
    99% of the songs I play are Pearl Jam songs. I play bass/vocals in an all original metal band, so that is where i put my creativity. On the acoustic, which I have been playing for about 17 years, I have primarily done nothing but learn and play Pearl jam songs. I have written a few songs and I have learned pretty much the whole Stephen Lynch catalog, but its mostly PJ for me. My theory is, why try to create new songs when the best have already been written by PJ (more of a joke than a theory).

Lately, I have been on a Strangest Tribe/Hold On kick.
    1998 - Noblesville * Knoxville
    2000 - Noblesville * Cincinnati * Columbus
    2003 - Lexington * East Troy * Noblesville* Columbus
    2006 - Cincinnati
    2008 - NYC night 1 * NYC night 2
    2009 - EV Solo Nashville
    2010 - Columbus * Noblesville * Cleveland
    2011 - East Troy night 1 * East Troy night 2
    2014 - Cincinnati
    2016 - Greenville * Lexington