Buddy Guy

rcsrcs Posts: 711
edited May 2011 in Other Music
Going to see Buddy "Motherfucking" Guy tomorrow night. This will be the second time I've seen him in the last two years. He doesn't play for long but in his case it is seriously quality not quantity. He is the best Bluesman of all time! (well... at least my time :D )

He also tells the greatest stories during his shows. It's almost like he's part stand up comedian. Really looking forward to this!
E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    never seen buddy but have been to his blues club in chi town. I have however seen the king...bb ;)
    have fun!
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    He's going to be 75 this year so don't miss him if he's passing through your neck of the woods. Probably won't be touring too much longer.

I promise it's a show that you'll remember! :thumbup:
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    oh trust me, i wouldnt pass up an opp to see buddy
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Have fun watching the legend! I'd love to see him some day.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Saw him in '07. It was the most off-the-cuff show I've ever seen!
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I have been fortunate to have seen Mr. Guy a few times. He puts on a great show, you should definitely enjoy the music as well as the stories. One thing he was doing on the last tour I saw was bringing up a young kid to play with him. Whether the kid was a plant or not, it was great to see someone from a younger generation play guitar with one of the greats and hopefully get inspired. The last show I saw I was lucky as hell to have Buddy stop right in front of me during his walk around solo, I kick myself still for not having a camera with me.

Have fun at the show, but I think that goes without saying! :D
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • rcsrcs Posts: 711
    The show was incredible! He was in rare form tonight. I've never laughed so hard or been so amazed with any other musician ever! He is easily the greatest guitarist I've ever seen live. Do not miss him if he's heading your way!!!
  • Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
    Buddy motherfuckin' Guy is right....he's a bad ass. I love BB but Buddy just has something about him.
    Unfortunately though, I've never had the chance to see him live. (seen BB four times...once with Bobby Bland which was fantastic)
    Actually, i had A CHANCE to see buddy earlier this year when he was about 3 hours away but i had a conflict i couldn't shuck off

Glad you got to see him and enjoyed it. I guess for now i'll have to continue to rely on his live with the SNL Band dvd
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • adam42381adam42381 Kernersville, NC Posts: 2,474
    Just got back from seeing Buddy Guy and he puts on a great show. The man can still play the hell out of the guitar. He played for 95 minutes and seemed pissed that they hit him with a curfew. So glad we went.
    I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me.
    rcs said:
    He's going to be 75 this year so don't miss him if he's passing through your neck of the woods. Probably won't be touring too much longer.

I promise it's a show that you'll remember! :thumbup:
    81 now and still going strong. I’ll be at his show Friday night.
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    edited January 2023
    Buddy Guy's farewell tour is kicking off in February. I just wanted to tell everybody that it IS NOT to be missed. 

I saw him last weekend at Legends, and he was phenomenal. 86 years old and still a gun slinger. Different sets both nights I saw him. Sets were about an hour and a half, and he didn't sit down once. His voice is terrific, and he can hit the high notes. Buddy told jokes, collaborated with other artists, and interacted with the crowd. Both nights, he continued his long standing tradition of strolling through the venue while playing, walking out the front door onto Wabash, coming back in, stopping at the bar for a drink, before ultimately returning to the stage. After the shows, he immediately walked to the merch station to greet fans on their way out, signing autographs, and posing for photos... still not sitting.

For the love of an American art form, for the love of music, for the love of the Blues, for the love of a living legend, or whatever reason you might have, I implore you to not let this opportunity slip away. 
    Post edited by 3days on
  • BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    ^^Thank you!!!
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,644
    ^^Thank you!!!

SECOND THIS !!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    3days said:
    Buddy Guy's farewell tour is kicking off in February. I just wanted to tell everybody that it IS NOT to be missed. 

I saw him last weekend at Legends, and he was phenomenal. 86 years old and still a gun slinger. Different sets both nights I saw him. Sets were about an hour and a half, and he didn't sit down once. His voice is terrific, and he can hit the high notes. Buddy told jokes, collaborated with other artists, and interacted with the crowd. Both nights, he continued his long standing tradition of strolling through the venue while playing, walking out the front door onto Wabash, coming back in, stopping at the bar for a drink, before ultimately returning to the stage. After the shows, he immediately walked to the merch station to greet fans on their way out, signing autographs, and posing for photos... still not sitting.

For the love of an American art form, for the love of music, for the love of the Blues, for the love of a living legend, or whatever reason you might have, I implore you to not let this opportunity to slip away. 

So cool that you got to see Buddy Guy! 
    Unfortunately, it looks like I missed my chance.  He was in our area not long ago but conflicting schedules meant we couldn't go.  All these years and never to see Buddy Guy.  :frowning: I regret that but I will always be a fan and love hearing about his shows.  Thanks for sharing this! 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 3days3days Posts: 1,151
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

For the love of an American art form, for the love of music, for the love of the Blues, for the love of a living legend, or whatever reason you might have, I implore you to not let this opportunity to slip away. 

Unfortunately, it looks like I missed my chance.  He was in our area not long ago but conflicting schedules meant we couldn't go.  All these years and never to see Buddy Guy.  :frowning: I regret that but I will always be a fan and love hearing about his shows.  Thanks for sharing this! 
    Thank you all for helping to keep the blues alive with your interest and enthusiasm. 

One thing I wanted to mention is that his tour has 2 floating dates currently scheduled. One in August and another in October. Seattle and Boston if I'm not mistaken. That tells me that more dates/locations are coming. If he isn't currently scheduled to perform near you, that may very well change over the next few months. 
  • mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,644
    3days said:
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

Thank you all for helping to keep the blues alive with your interest and enthusiasm. 

One thing I wanted to mention is that his tour has 2 floating dates currently scheduled. One in August and another in October. Seattle and Boston if I'm not mistaken. That tells me that more dates/locations are coming. If he isn't currently scheduled to perform near you, that may very well change over the next few months. 

current dates listed are midwest, east and south heavy.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,661
    3days said:
    brianlux said:
    3days said:

Sure thing, 3days, and you as well.  Blues forever!
    I follow Buddy on FB so I'll keep watching.  Thanks for the heads up!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,133
    His Sweet Tea (?) album is fucking awesome. 
    www.cluthelee.com