Destruction in the South

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited May 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
It seems like one wave of bad weather after another has been sweeping through and the tornados have been outrageously frequent (also in the midwest i believe) but my area has been largely spared.

reports are that nearly 200 people lost their lives due to weather yesterday and this small town in Mississippi is believed to have lost 70 people at a minimum. My co-worked lived near here in the past and called the local newspaper....they said the town is totally flattened....

say a prayer for all the folks who lost their loved ones, their homes and their livelihoods across the south and anywhere else....

http://nems360.com/view/full_story/1297 ... ppi-region?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    it might be the end of the world.
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    it might be the end of the world.

just 23 days away
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    It seems like one wave of bad weather after another has been sweeping through and the tornados have been outrageously frequent (also in the midwest i believe) but my area has been largely spared.

reports are that nearly 200 people lost their lives due to weather yesterday and this small town in Mississippi is believed to have lost 70 people at a minimum. My co-worked lived near here in the past and called the local newspaper....they said the town is totally flattened....

say a prayer for all the folks who lost their loved ones, their homes and their livelihoods across the south and anywhere else....

My thoughts go out to them. It's tragic. It's thoughtful of you to acknowledge the situation. There's a tornado watch where I am right now. It's scary, and the destruction is awful.
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Yeah, Roy Oswalt left the Phils apparently to go check on his family. Crazy stuff.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855

So sad... and scary

loving thoughts and prayers are filling my thoughts since tragedy hit last evening

in my small world I am very grateful
    and I am thankful you and your loved ones are ok, Jake
    we are fortunate
  • Yeah, Roy Oswalt left the Phils apparently to go check on his family. Crazy stuff.
    Roy's home is not all that far away from here actually. Just last year a tornado demolished his parent's home. His mom hid in a closet that little area was basically all that was left of the house. My friend works for a restaurant supplier and actually met Roy not all that long ago...sat around and shot the shit with him for a couple hours.

On the weather, i woke up at 3 a.m. Wednesday morning and things were very bad....was pretty scary but i rolled over and went back to sleep...figured it was going to blow me away I'd just as soon be asleep.

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • pandora wrote:

So sad... and scary

loving thoughts and prayers are filling my thoughts since tragedy hit last evening

in my small world I am very grateful
    and I am thankful you and your loved ones are ok, Jake
    we are fortunate
    The same to you...glad to hear you and yours are fine as well

• My dad grew up near Tuscaloosa and I still have a lot of family in that area. They are back woods, rural, no electricity types, so no telling if they are ok or not. :(

I have checked in with a big share of my cousins on FB today and am grateful for that.
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    Mr. Unlost is on his way there with FEMA. It sounds completely awful.
    :(
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    It's absolutely terrible, the destruction and death toll is incredible.

Thoughts and prayers for all affected.

Good on Mr. Unlost too. That's very cool.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Very sad and scary seeing the destruction. Based on pictures from Alabama and Mississippi, my wife got into panic mode when they put our region under a tornado watch. It ended at noon and luckily we just had some heavy rain. My thoughts are definitely with those affected though.
  • ShimmyMommyShimmyMommy Posts: 7,505
    I am so sad for everyone touched by this. I am sending hope, love and light to all of you.
    Lots of love, light and hugs to you all!
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Greater Boston Posts: 12,553
    I was talking with friends last night and the conversation wandered onto the topic of places we'd all lived, and we all agreed that while hurricanes and nor'easters are scary, they must pale in comparison with something like a tornado that comes with so much less warning, and such concentrated violence.
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • I was talking with friends last night and the conversation wandered onto the topic of places we'd all lived, and we all agreed that while hurricanes and nor'easters are scary, they must pale in comparison with something like a tornado that comes with so much less warning, and such concentrated violence.
    Lived here all my life but I had never really thought about it that way...i guess it's true though. A tornado is much less predictable I guess....more sudden as well. I've had a few close calls with bad ones but thankfully never been heavily affected by one.
    Just last week we had a scare, a tornado warning, passing right through our neck of the woods....me and my girl actually got in the hallway during our lunch break....that storm did some pretty heavy damage in the county to the east. The weather has gone haywire all around the world me thinks

• It's absolutely terrible, the destruction and death toll is incredible.

Thoughts and prayers for all affected.

Good on Mr. Unlost too. That's very cool.

+1
    thoughts and prayers with those who have been struck by this awful tragedy
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    My thoughts and vibes go out to those affected.

My girlfriend has family in Alabama and Georgia, and recently we have been in close contact with them making sure everything is okay...
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • My dad grew up near Tuscaloosa and I still have a lot of family in that area. They are back woods, rural, no electricity types, so no telling if they are ok or not. :(

I have checked in with a big share of my cousins on FB today and am grateful for that.

Send up some prayers folks. Just heard from my cousin that my Uncle Billy and his family (in Tuscaloosa) are still unaccounted for.

Send up some prayers folks. Just heard from my cousin that my Uncle Billy and his family (in Tuscaloosa) are still unaccounted for.
    Sorry to hear that....any good word yet?

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    My thoughts and prayers go out to all who have been affected by this horrible weather system.

The weather really does seem apocalyptic lately :? :ugeek:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • loveontwolegsloveontwolegs Posts: 501
    My dad grew up near Tuscaloosa and I still have a lot of family in that area. They are back woods, rural, no electricity types, so no telling if they are ok or not. :(

Sorry to hear that....any good word yet?

Finally heard this past weekend that everyone is OK. thanks for the good vibes folks!
  • FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905

Finally heard this past weekend that everyone is OK. thanks for the good vibes folks!

That's great news :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop