In honor of PJ20 - What were you up to 20 years ago?

Comments

• Oceans 98Oceans 98 Posts: 232
    I was 10 and 10 hit me deep. In the next few years Pearl Jam gave me a release and when I graduated high school i had a reason to put the small town I'm from in the rearviewmirror.
    St. Louis 07/02/98, St. Louis 10/11/00, New York 07/08/03, New York 07/09/03, Chicago 05/16/06, Chicago 05/17/06, Bridge School 10/21/06, Bridge School 10/22/06, Chicago 07/05/07, Chicago 07/24/09, Kansas City 05/03/10, St Louis 05/04/10, PJ20 09/03/11, PJ20 09/04/11, Chicago 07/19/13, St. Louis 10/03/14, Ohana 09/24/21 (EV/Earthings), Ohana 09/25/21 (EV/Earthlings), Ohana 09/26/21, Nashville 09/16/22, Louisville 09/17/22, St. Louis 09/18/22, Oklahoma City 09/20/22

• LoulouLoulou Adelaide Posts: 6,247
    My Mum just got remarried, moved from Melbourne to Adelaide and was pretty miserable, listening to PJ helped. ;) Sneaking into a nightclub called the Proscenium with my bro (I looked older than what I was) and it was filled with Gothic looking punks that I thought were the coolest, nicest yet scariest people I had ever met! :lol: They played heaps of Joy Division and The Cure :D
    “ "Thank you Palestrina. It’s a wonderful evening, it’s great to be here and I wanna dedicate you a super sexy song." " (last words of Mark Sandman of Morphine)

Adelaide 1998
    Adelaide 2003
    Adelaide 2006 night 1
    Adelaide 2006 night 2
    Adelaide 2009
    Melbourne 2009
    Christchurch NZ 2009
    Eddie Vedder, Adelaide 2011
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 1
    PJ20 USA 2011 night 2
    Adelaide BIG DAY OUT 2014
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,586
    21, in college, and enjoying witnessing the rapid change in popular music (combined with cheap beer).
  • PJ212PJ212 Posts: 811
    11 years old, dancing around my living room to Right Said Fred's "I'm Too Sexy" and Michael Jackson's Dangerous album, and had posters of New Kids on the Block and Luke Perry on my bedroom wall.

Pearl Jam opened up my taste in music and made me think a little deeper about life in general... but I still have a poster of Luke Perry on my bedroom wall :D
    2000: CLT, Greensboro, 2003: MSG 1 & 2, 2008: MSG 1 & 2, 2009: LA 2 & 3, 2011: Vancouver, 2012: Missoula, 2013: Wrigley, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Voodoo, SD, LA 1 & 2, OAK, PDX, Vancouver, SEA, 2014: Cincy, ACL1, Tulsa, Lincoln, Memphis, Moline, St. Paul, MKE, DEN, Bridge 1 & 2, 2015: GCF, Mexico City, 2016: FLL, MIA, TPA, Greenville, Hampton, Columbia, MSG 1 & 2, Bonnaroo, Telluride, Fenway 1 & 2, Wrigley 1 & 2, 2017: ROHF, 2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Seattle 1 & 2, Missoula, Wrigley 1
  • In my momma's tummy, 5 months from joining you guys. :lol:
    Suzi78 wrote:
    And I also experienced my first "real" concert that year: Metallica.
    That's a beast of a first concert!
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I was born in February, so I probably spent most of my time sleeping, eating, pooping, playing, and listening to The Beatles (my dad probably played them a lot).
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    I was 20 years old an going to Junior College...pretending to study. I was in and out of jobs...partying...lost and directionless. I had always loved music...but had never connected deeply with a band or artist before. I discovered PJ in mid July 92' and my life changed forever. I became interested in politics and became active in many campaigns. I also eventually became a musician (guitar and lead vocals) and had a nice run locally...including getting some local radio play.

Anyhow...that eventually stopped...but it opened up another door. I was introduced to the local sportscaster by a guy he was friends with... who used to go to all my band's shows. That would lead to an internship in the sports department (sports is my other passion). I have now been a sports producer in a top 5 market for 11 years.

Everyone at work knows that when I take a vacation..it's usually connected to a Pearl Jam tour. It's been an amazing journey...spawned from an obsession with PJ.

Edit: I just re-read my post..and it reads extremely self promoting and braggadocious. I just wanted to convene my gratitude to Pearl Jam for waking me up and giving me a kick in the ass. I truly believe their music gave me drive and insperation to do something that matters. Their songs subject matters gave me calm as well as assurance that someone related to me.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Was in my Dad's ballsack.
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    I was 15, confused about family stuff and unable to let myself even think how I should be feeling about it all...PJ was good therapy. :lol: And still is!!! :D
    Nature drunk and High
  • demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,314
    I was in Grade 6? My Bruins lost to the Oilers in the Stanley Cup finals & I was doing the Bartman. Weird Al's UHF's Soundtrack, Prince's Batman Soundtrack & Aerosmith's Pump record (which came out months earlier) were pretty much my first store bought cassette tapes that I owned. Pretty weird section but they were my favorite tunes, and films. It was a year later in Junior High that I got to know who Pearl Jam was, thanks to K-Mart & my local radio station!
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    conman wrote:
    i was in kindergarten 8-)

Me too 8-)
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • I was 14. :)
  • illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    6.. grade 1.. playing with my Barbie dolls and hiding my brothers lego
    wah
  • dr0ptheleashdr0ptheleash Posts: 1,264
    I was 2, probably real busy taking some naps.
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Packing it up in Milwaukee....

loading up the car with Mr Smee our parakeet,
    Rosie, Minnie and Speedy our 3 gerbils,
    Maggie Mae our Brittany

and our son 7 and daughter 5 moving to Atlanta,Georgia

Running down a dream....
  • zarocatzarocat Posts: 1,901
    Being 14 years old & unknowingly about to cross the line
    1996: Toronto
    1998: Barrie
    2000: Montreal, Toronto, Auburn Hills
    2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal
    2004: Boston X2, Grand Rapids
    2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto
    2006: Toronto X2
    2009: Toronto
    2011: PJ20, Montreal, Toronto X2, Hamilton
    2012: Manchester X2, Amsterdam X2, Prague, Berlin X2, Philadelphia, Missoula
    2013: Pittsburg, Buffalo
    2014: Milan, Trieste, Vienna, Berlin, Stockholm, Oslo, Detroit
    2016: Ottawa, Toronto X2
    2018: Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona
    2022: Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto
    2023: Chicago X2
    2024: Noblesville 
  • Turned 40 that September and was getting out of a stifling marriage. Friends turned me on to PJ. When VS came out 2 years later, it was the music that saved me. Have been along for the ride ever since. Bring on PJ20!
  • I had just joined a fraternity, I was partying in college. I was trying to figure out the new music appearing on MTV and on the radio . . . I first heard PJ in my fraternity basement; "Alive" was blaring out of the stereo, I was simply overwhelmed and was hooked . . . maybe it was the cheap beer or cheap pot :lol: . . . but it spoke to me on a very personal level

:ugeek:
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    2nd grade
  • STT757STT757 Posts: 302
    Freshman in High school.
    Randalls Island New York 9/29/96 - Oakland Coliseum Oakland California 11/15/97 - MSG New York New York 09/10/98 - Key Arena Seattle Washington 11/05/00, 11/06/00 - PNC Bank Arts Center Holmdel New Jersey 7/14/03 - Tweeter Center Camden New Jersey 5/28/06, MSG New York New York 06/25/08, Spectrum Arena Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 10/27/09
  • iamicaiamica Chicago Posts: 2,628
    demetrios wrote:
    I was doing the Bartman.

Yeah, the Bartman! I almost forgot about that!! :thumbup:
    After reading all of these stories, I realized that I DID listen to a couple of bands that year at age 9...New Kids on the Block and MC Hammer. :lol: :roll: :oops:
    Chicago 2000 : Chicago 2003 : Chicago 2006 : Summerfest 2006 : Lollapalooza 2007 : Chicago 2009 : Noblesville (Indy) 2010 : PJ20 (East Troy) 2011 : Wrigley Field 2013 : Milwaukee (Yield) 2014 : Wrigley Field 2016
  • AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    iamica wrote:
    demetrios wrote:
    I was doing the Bartman.

Yeah, the Bartman! I almost forgot about that!! :thumbup:
    After reading all of these stories, I realized that I DID listen to a couple of bands that year at age 9...New Kids on the Block and MC Hammer. :lol: :roll: :oops:

I was listening to Vanilla Ice and Kris Kross...
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    Turned 40 that September and was getting out of a stifling marriage. Friends turned me on to PJ. When VS came out 2 years later, it was the music that saved me. Have been along for the ride ever since. Bring on PJ20!

ahhhh..NoW I don't feel like such an old lady...thanks for that :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • I was a young Mom of 34, to an 11 year old daughter and a 7 year old Son. It was actually my Daughter playing "TEN" on her little pink cassette player who turned me on to Pearl Jam. I asked if I could borrow it, played it in my car and when "Evenflow" played and went from speaker to speaker...I was hooked! It reminded me of Neil Young's grungy style of music, which I have loved since 1970. Pearl Jam has been in my heart and mind every day, since that day in August of 1992. ThankYou to my Daughter for having such good taste in Music and ThankYou Pearl Jam!

***we too are stardust***
  • EmBleveEmBleve Posts: 3,019
    edited April 2011
    just outta high school, going into nursing school. Being crazy, not knowing what was ahead of me for the 90s--turns out, alot. Didn't get turned on to PJ til '93, but was digging aerosmith, fleetwood mac, CSNY, Bruce, and rhcp were new and funky to me. Somebody mentioned Vanilla Ice...yeah, that was the jam then Ice Ice baby. :lol: Fashion sucked, was about hammer pants and banana clips. like, gag me with a spoon.
    Post edited by EmBleve on
  • StillHere wrote:
    Turned 40 that September and was getting out of a stifling marriage. Friends turned me on to PJ. When VS came out 2 years later, it was the music that saved me. Have been along for the ride ever since. Bring on PJ20!

Somebody has to be oldest, maybe it's me. I don't feel it though! My friends are all ages, but mostly a bit younger than me, and we all rock. Just wait, you'll see that adding years doesn't mean you have to feel old. But damn, I may not have too many good times left, because old people look so silly when they're having fun. hahaha!
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    demetrios wrote:
    I was in Grade 6? My Bruins lost to the Oilers in the Stanley Cup finals & I was doing the Bartman. Weird Al's UHF's Soundtrack, Prince's Batman Soundtrack & Aerosmith's Pump record (which came out months earlier) were pretty much my first store bought cassette tapes that I owned. Pretty weird section but they were my favorite tunes, and films. It was a year later in Junior High that I got to know who Pearl Jam was, thanks to K-Mart & my local radio station!
    I was at the final game in the ole garden. Got a stick from Craig Muni-I had seats right behind the oilers bench.
  • I was 14, a freshman in high school, listening to RHCP, Seal, and the Dead. About 5 months from falling in love with Ten, Siamese Dream, and Nevermind and changing my life forever!
  • StillHereStillHere Posts: 7,795
    StillHere wrote:

Somebody has to be oldest, maybe it's me. I don't feel it though! My friends are all ages, but mostly a bit younger than me, and we all rock. Just wait, you'll see that adding years doesn't mean you have to feel old. But damn, I may not have too many good times left, because old people look so silly when they're having fun. hahaha!

Agreed! Except for the part when we look silly...we can look silly if we want..we've earned it! I just love having friends of all ages too..seems once you get past like, 30 or so, it just doesn't matter any more. :D I was just kidding with you anyway..there are LOTS and lots of us PJ Fans in the 40 and over crowd here. I just love seeing the young kids coming in and learning to appreciate PJ too though. PJ fans are the best people in the world, no matter the age :D
    peace,
    jo

http://www.Etsy.com/Shop/SimpleEarthCreations
    "How I choose to feel is how I am." ~ EV/MMc
    "Some people hear their own inner voices with great clearness and they live by what they hear. Such people become crazy, or they become legends." ~ One Stab ~
  • LA98LA98 Posts: 256
    In 1991 I graduated college, moved into my own apartment, got my first "real" job, and met the man I eventually married. In those days I was as angry as Eddie was, so it's no wonder I fell in love with Ten. It's both astounding and bittersweet for me to look back on everything that's happened over the past twenty years as I'm getting ready to make big changes in my life right now. So grateful to have had PJ all this time, for the incredible music and mostly for the words that inspire me to keep fighting....