The Head And The Heart

keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
edited October 2013 in Other Music
The Head And The Heart are an amazing new band out of Seattle, saw them a couple months back at my favourite bar here in Ottawa and they blew the roof off the place! Acousticy folk stuff, just great tunes. Check 'em out!

www.myspace.com/theheadandtheheart

Lost in My Mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fcPfaMp ... ture=feedf
Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    great band
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    Cool..their drummer is a friend of mine.
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    I dig...gonna have to check out more. thanks for the rec :)
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I dig...gonna have to check out more. thanks for the rec :)
    Not a problem. Definitely check them out live. Besides being great, they're super nice guys (and girl). Shot the shit with all of them kinda separately, couldn't have been more accommodating.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    They are great, glad to see them discussed here. Been listening to their album since last June and still have it on heavy rotation. It's been quite a fast rise for them over the past year. I'm excited to see what they do on their next album. They recorded some new songs and a piano version of Rivers and Roads in a church over at Fuel Friends blog. It is stunning.
    mulva9 wrote:
    They are great, glad to see them discussed here. Been listening to their album since last June and still have it on heavy rotation. It's been quite a fast rise for them over the past year. I'm excited to see what they do on their next album. They recorded some new songs and a piano version of Rivers and Roads in a church over at Fuel Friends blog. It is stunning.
    That version is unbelieveable.

I was sent an email about them coming to Ottawa, and kinda checked them out, loved it, went to a show, and now I'm hooked.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,970
    I like it - very nice. Thanks for sharing
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Jeff MurrayJeff Murray Posts: 1,259
    I've been meaning to order this new album from SubPop... like what I hear so far.
    If there were no Angels would there be no sin?
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    These guys and Mumford & Sons. There's something lacking in both bands.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    I find, after seeing them live, these guys are the real deal.

As for Mumford, I dig them a lot, but don't understand the hype. They're good, but not THAT good.
  • mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,741
    I find, after seeing them live, these guys are the real deal.

As for Mumford, I dig them a lot, but don't understand the hype. They're good, but not THAT good.

I don't know about nationally, but here in Seattle people can't get enough of Head & the Heart. They're selling out shows in seconds, the self released album wasn't staying on shelves. They've even been adding second shows and those have also been selling out. From what I hear on the radio there's just never been anything interesting going on to me with what they're doing. I don't get it.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
    I saw them play in a 150ish seat club, was a great experience.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,141
    The Head and the Heart - Lost in my Mind on David Letterman 10-28-2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beZ2FAuJ9WI
    I miss igotid88
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    Hey just wanted to give anybody a heads up that they are going to be on Austin City Limits this Sunday!!! It's the television debut from their taping in September!
  • anything put out by sub pop is guaranteed top notch
  • bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,024
    New video for Down In The Valley is out today..it's awesome

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2iSQGWpy0qY
  • penny lane2penny lane2 Illinois Posts: 81
    bobasfeet wrote:
    New video for Down In The Valley is out today..it's awesome

http://www.youtube.com/embed/2iSQGWpy0qY

Thanks for posting that!! Loved it. Can't wait to see them in March in Chicago. Looks like they put on an awesome show.
    "If I knew where it was I would take you there...."
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    edited February 2012

Is it possible that the whole folk thing is beginning to no longer sound "fresh", seeing that a lot of indie bands are pursuing this sound?

Having said that though, I do like the song posted from the KEXP performance.
    Post edited by dcfaithful on
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    anything put out by sub pop is guaranteed top notch

Yes. Sub Pop really does kick ass.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • dcfaithful wrote:

Is it possible that the whole folk thing is beginning to no longer sound "fresh", seeing that a lot of indie bands are pursuing this sound?

i agree with this. the head and the heart are just ok for me. they didnt really grab my attention all too much, though my gf loves them, so it appears ill be seeing them next month.. good to know they are good live.

p.s. sub pop does rule... a few years ago, id go to a record store and blindly buy cds from the sub pop label.
  • Stardog3..Stardog3.. Posts: 1,527
    dcfaithful wrote:
    anything put out by sub pop is guaranteed top notch

Yes. Sub Pop really does kick ass.

Spot on.

And seeing them this weekend! Pretty excited.
  • one of the more interesting things about sub pop is how theyve managed to remain relevant. obviously they were instrumental and important and put out some great stuff in the 90's, but they continued on. Didnt they go bankrupt at some point? Theyve managed to stay fresh. I'd argue their more known for what theyve put out in the last 10 years or so, than anything they put out in the 90's. Obviously now you could sort of say they are a label that caters to a hipster indie audience, and thats true, but they put out some odd stuff as well. One of the more critically acclaimed albums last year was shabazz palaces debut album, which is spaced out, drugged out hip hop, really adventurous stuff.

Theyve put out some great stuff in the 2000's. The Postal Service's legendary 1st and only album. The flight of the conchords records. All 3 wolf parade records. the first 3 shins albums. most recent beach house album. Both fleet foxes albums. Washed out's debut, he is the guy who does the theme song for portlandia. the first 3 iron and wine records. the 3 handsome furs records. first 4 rosie thomas records. the last sleater kinney record. last 2 comets on fire records. first 3 rogue wave albums. the final red house painters record. last 4 blitzen trapper albums. etc...

thats a hell of a legacy. hell of a decade.
  • dlymnflddlymnfld CT Posts: 917
    They are opening for the DMB at the show I'm going to and they seem like my type of music. I am looking forward to hearing them live.
    Springfield 4/6/94, Boston 4/6/94, Hartford 10/2/96, New York 9/11/98, Hartford 9/13/98, Mansfield 8/30/00, Boston 9/28/04, Reading 10/1/04, Quebec City 9/20/05, Boston 5/24/06, Hartford 5/13/06, New York 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08 Philadelphia 10/31/09, Hartford 10/15/10,
    Boston 10/17/10, East Troy 9/3/11, East Troy 9/4/11, Missoula 9/30/12, Worcester 10/15/13, Hartford 10/25/13, Charlottesville 10/29/13,
    St. Paul 10/19/14, New York 9/26/15, Quebec City 5/5/16, Boston 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18, Boston 9/4/18, Quebec City 9/1/22, Camden 9/14/22, Oklahoma City 9/20/22 
  • Spoony CSpoony C Posts: 278
    I saw them in a packed, sold-out club on Tuesday (in Louisville), and they were fantastic. Even though so much of the music is laid-back, there was an energy coming from the stage that I really appreciated. And they still seemed pretty humble, and surprised at the crowd reaction they were getting, especially from the perspective of this being their first visit to Louisville. They're back in town this summer at the Forecastle Festival (curated by My Morning Jacket, for whom The Head and the Heart opened in Europe last year), and I can't wait to see them again.

Also, if you're going to the club shows they're doing right now, be sure and get there for the openers. Black Girls (none of whom are African-American or female) were a lot of fun, and Drew Grow & the Pastors' Wives were a little moodier, but had some really great moments. Overall, this was the best under-$20-a-ticket show I've seen in a long time. Recommended.
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    Recently discovered this great band. They just played 2 sold out shows at the vic in Chicago this week....pissed that I couldn't get to one of them.
  • Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    They just added a Dallas date for June. Can't wait!
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,722
    They are playing Lollapalooza....prob going to buy a single day ticket once the schedule comes out. Hopefully I can check these guys out.
  • of.the.girlof.the.girl Posts: 10,026
    They are playing Lollapalooza....prob going to buy a single day ticket once the schedule comes out. Hopefully I can check these guys out.

They are playing Summerfest in Milwaukee too.