Options

The Greatest American Rock Band is...

arqarq Posts: 7,935
edited March 2011 in The Porch
http://www.kansan.com/weblogs/red-rocks ... k-band-is/
Pearl Jam!

This year marks the 20th anniversary of the formation of the greatest American rock band of all time.

Pearl Jam's year-long celebration kicks off March 29th with the re-release of 1993's Vs. and 1994's Vitalogy as expanded editions. The discs will be released separately as well as part of a three-disc box set

My first concert ever was on September 16, 1995 in Austin, TX at the no-longer-existing South Park Meadows. I saw them perform again eight years later in Dallas, San Antonio, and Houston. And then again last May in Kansas City and St. Louis.

The only other band that could compete for the title of the greatest American rock band is Aerosmith (before Pearl Jam, Aerosmith was my favorite), but after 1994's Get a Grip (you know, the album with all the Alicia Silverstone videos) its music became flat and uninspired.

In a 2005 USA Today reader's poll, Pearl Jam was voted the greatest American rock band of all time (http://www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/ ... andy_x.htm). And in April 2006, Pearl Jam was awarded the prize for "Best Live Act" in Esquire's Esky Music Awards.

Pearl Jam is the only band that emerged out of the early 1990's that still consistently tours (it’s one of the best live acts you'll see) and makes great music. Tool - if it feels like it - makes an album every 5 to 6 years, and Stone Temple Pilots have been crashing for about 15 years now. There's Green Day, but their sound is too narrow, and it never achieved the popularity of Aerosmith in the 1980s and Pearl Jam in the 1990s.

Nirvana is widely credited with introducing grunge music to the mainstream, but Pearl Jam quickly outsold them. Pearl Jam's second album, 1993's Vs., sold a record-setting 950,000 copies in the first week!

Rolling Stone has compared Pearl Jam's fanatical following ("The Jamily") to the Grateful Dead and their marathon shows to Bruce Springsteen, The Who and U2. Check out this article in Entertainment Weekly about The Jamily: http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,1191033,00.html

The band's 20th anniversary celebration will continue with the release of directory Cameron Crowe's Pearl Jam documentary, "Twenty," and an accompanying soundtrack and book in the fall. Around that time it will play a "weekend bash" somewhere in the middle of the country.

"We've been talking about doing something like this for a long time," said Pearl Jam bassist Jeff Ament. "We hope to have it locked down pretty soon so we can start asking our friends if they want to play a couple of shows with us. If it winds up being a two-day thing we'll probably play both days. It's in the infancy stages right now."

Become part of the (Pearl) Jamily!

Besides, all the other great bands are European.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Leezestarr313Leezestarr313 Temple of the cat Posts: 14,346
    :thumbup: 8-)

As if we didn't know ... :D
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I agree, but I'm sure Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band fans may disagree.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    I KNOW.. :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,268
    :clap::clap::mrgreen::mrgreen:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Here's some that I would put up there ahead of or right along with PJ. PJ is definitely my favorite, but there are bigger, better, tighter, more original sounding US bands.

Hendrix is easily above them, without question
    Metallica-can't deny
    GnR- great band even when they were falling apart
    CCR- so underrated...you never see them mentioned on these lists and they should be top 10 consistently
    ABB- amazing musicians...started or had a large hand starting 2 genres under the rock umbrella
    Aerosmith- yeah, they blow now but they're prolly the most recognizable band from the US ever.
    Black Crowes-every album is great and one of the best live bands
    Tool- have a very unique sound, don't blame them from numetal...great live show
    RHCP- the main lineup never put out 4 great albums....What else is there?
    SRV- revitalized a genre of music that hadn't been popular for 60 years prior
    STP- no doubt hey deserve a mention..always changing sound through 6 really good albums
    Petty- just a great band
    VH- whether you like them or not they're great at what they do...I can't imagine how mindblowing EVH must've been
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I agree, but I'm sure Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band fans may disagree.
    +1
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Aga81Aga81 Posts: 808
    nothing new... we all know this pretty well. And that's why we're here am I right??
    Some may ask, "Why act now? Why not wait? - The answer is clear. The world could wait no longer

04.07.2012 ~ Berlin
    31.07.2012 ~ London
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    Aga81 wrote:
    nothing new... we all know this pretty well. And that's why we're here am I right??
    yes,cos pearl jam is BBITW :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    appieappie Posts: 1,441
    Change the word music from the song by John Miles to Pearl jam and that says all there is to know..
    Pearl Jam 4 live
    h8 2 w8 for concerts
  • Options
    Cool Face RyanCool Face Ryan Posts: 1,254
    OLD. FRIGGIN. NEWS.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    :mrgreen:
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,430

I see Pearl Jam as more of a band and E-Street as Bruce and his guys, and sometimes he's solo. But maybe you could argue PJ is the same thing. But I have to think Bruce is much more dominant of that band than Eddie is of PJ.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mysticweedmysticweed Posts: 3,710
    Leeze wrote:
    :thumbup: 8-)

As if we didn't know ... :D

that's what i've been trying to tell y'all
    IMHFO they're the greatest band ever!
    fuck 'em if they can't take a joke

"what a long, strange trip it's been"
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    manutd3581 wrote:
    OLD. FRIGGIN. NEWS.

:lol:
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    DewieCox wrote:
    Here's some that I would put up there ahead of or right along with PJ. PJ is definitely my favorite, but there are bigger, better, tighter, more original sounding US bands.

Metallica-can't deny
    CCR- so underrated...you never see them mentioned on these lists and they should be top 10 consistently
    ABB- amazing musicians...started or had a large hand starting 2 genres under the rock umbrella
    Aerosmith- yeah, they blow now but they're prolly the most recognizable band from the US ever.
    STP- no doubt hey deserve a mention..always changing sound through 6 really good albums
    Petty- just a great band
    VH- whether you like them or not they're great at what they do...I can't imagine how mindblowing EVH must've been

Really? Always thought Americans loved the Doors and the Grateful Dead more than any of those bands you mentioned :ugeek:
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    DewieCox wrote:

Metallica-can't deny
    Petty- just a great band

Really? Always thought Americans loved the Doors and the Grateful Dead more than any of those bands you mentioned :ugeek:

Could've easily mentioned both. Not a huge fan of either. Neither is really my thing even though I listen to several bands that fall in the same categories.

GD have a huge following, though it still seems kinda underground in a way.

I think The Doors are one of the most overrated bands.

I don't think either is a good example of a band that all americans love.
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    DewieCox wrote:

I thought I was the only one that thought this.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    gfnk001gfnk001 Posts: 652
    DewieCox wrote:

I agree with the thought of GD, but the Doors were amazing, not so much live, but in the studio they put out some of the most beautifully lyrical pieces ever. They were heavy jazz influence with a touch of rock, quite a unique sound that has never been replicated since.
  • Options
    KatyzKatyz Posts: 838
    They are officially up there in the "Greats of Rock" category for me. They are played every day...my mood dictates which song/album/bootleg. Not many other bands do that! :D
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    rock.
    chalk.
    jayhawk.
    8-)
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    i don't know if i can agree with that. as much as i love pearl jam, calling them the greatest american rock band is purely subjective. but then again, there's no such thing as an objective "greatest" or "top 10" list.
    when it comes to rock in its purest form, i think the replacements are one of the greatest. either way, as a canadian i gotta throw huge props to the united states for giving the world such amazing music. england, i love you too.
  • Options
    conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    boo ya! 8-)
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    DewieCox wrote:

I love The Doors but you'd be surprised to know that there are actually a lot of people out there who would agree with you. Some dismiss Morrison as a hipster-poet-wannabe and the other three guys as just an above-average bar band.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    DewieCox wrote:

Metallica-can't deny
    Petty- just a great band
    those are all best american not greatest. also jimi hendrix experience formed in london.

when i think of greatest american bands, i think of bands like the grateful dead, the ramones, the beach boys, aerosmith, mc5, rem, pearl jam, metallica, VH.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?