Options

"Hey Matt, you gotta slow the songs down"??!!

dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 705
edited February 2011 in The Porch
that guy sounded soo scared. ha!.... tool

Being a drummer myself, or not, I would have at least investigated the topic and asked how they figure out the tempo's. That would have been cool to hear about..... My theory is that they take advantage of Matt's talents and pick the tempo up. You heard how happy Jeff was to have matt in the band. They are no doubt a far better band since the first show matt played with them.

Man they get some lame people to call in.
Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
MSG 1 + 2 - '03
Boston Garden - '04
Montreal - '05
Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
Mansfield 1 - '08
(EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
Chicago 1 - '09
MSG -'10
Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
Central Park - '15
MSG - '16
Fenway - '16
Wrigley - '16
(RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
Fenway - '18
MSG - '22
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    Haha just heard that while opening this link. That toolbag hung up?
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Sounded to me like he did... probably cried for an hour about it too.
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I hope I'm not lame. ;)
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hope I'm not lame. ;)

That was you?!
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hope I'm not lame. ;)

That was you?!
    :lol: No...I was the first caller.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,796
    Newch91 wrote:
    Newch91 wrote:
    I hope I'm not lame. ;)

That was you?!
    :lol: No...I was the first caller.

Oh, that's cool man. I liked your question and was surprised the first answer that came to Matt's mind was Backspacer.
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR A SINGLE TICKET TO MSG NIGHT 2

• Options
    WaveRyderWaveRyder Posts: 1,128
    I didnt get to hear it. What did he say?
    RC, SoDak 1998 - KC 2000 - Council Bluffs IA 2003 - Fargo ND 2003 - St. Paul MN 2003 - Alpine Valley 2003 - St Louis MO 2004 - Kissimmee FLA 2004 - Winnipeg 2005 - Thunder Bay 2005 - Chicago 2006 - Grand Rapids MI 2006 - Denver CO 2006 - Lollapalooza 2007 - Bonnaroo 2008 - Austin City Limits 2009 - Los Angeles 2009 - KC 2010 - St Louis MO 2010 - PJ20 Night 1 - PJ20 Night 2
  • Options
    force-10force-10 Posts: 794
    It was rude to actually tell the man how to play, or not to play. It would have been a great question if he just would have asked how is it that the songs end up as they do when performing live, like if he has a major role behind this or something. They actualy talked about this. Too bad the dude blew it.
    IN THE DARK, ALL CATS ARE BLACK.
  • Options
    WaveRyder wrote:
    I didnt get to hear it. What did he say?

A dude called and asked a question (don´t remember what). And after matt responded, he said, fastly, and a little nervous, "matt, you gotta slow the songs down" when you play live. Of course, referring to PJ. I guess.
  • Options
    shit, just now I felt like and old lady in a sewing circle! he he he.

Oh, and he immediately hung up! I guess it was tim that asked the dude why he would ask this and that´s when everyone in the booth realized he hung up.

Jesus. Stop. And that´s all im saying......
  • Options
    oh and his name and location is....... :lol:
  • Options
    Good Lord, I'm out of the loop.

*edit - duh*
    Ed...buddy...pal...stay true to your word and play Boise again.

Seattle, 12.7.93
    Salt Lake, 6.21.98
    Mountain View, 10.30.99
    Mountain View, 10.31.99
    Boise, 11.3.00
    Portland, 9.26.09
  • Options
    ParksyParksy Posts: 1,675
    I'll give him credit... for having stones to say that..

but yeah... if you expected anything other than being ridiculed for saying that, you're on drugs.

:)
    Toronto 2000
    Buffalo, Phoenix, Toronto 2003
    Boston I&II 2004
    Kitchener, Hamilton, London, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto 2005
    Toronto I&II, Las Vegas 2006
    Chicago Lollapalooza 2007
    Toronto, Seattle I&II, Vancouver, Philly I,II,III,IV 2009
    Cleveland, Buffalo 2010
    Toronto I&II 2011
    Buffalo 2013
    Toronto I&II 2016
    10C: 220xxx
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Cried? Or giggled like a kid who just made a prank call? Haven't heard it, but that's what it sounds like to me...that's pretty disrespectful. disappointing.

I've never given an opinion of Matt's tempo on the board.....Ready? :D
    if the band wanted him to slow the songs down, wouldn't they just ask him to...and he would? Or maybe I'm wrong; he's an animal and he can't control himself?...and the band is too scared to ask him to breakie?
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    SVRDhand13 wrote:

Cried? Or giggled like a kid who just made a prank call? Haven't heard it, but that's what it sounds like to me...that's pretty disrespectful. disappointing.

I've never given an opinion of Matt's tempo on the board.....Ready? :D
    if the band wanted him to slow the songs down, wouldn't they just ask him to...and he would? Or maybe I'm wrong; he's an animal and he can't control himself?...and the band is too scared to ask him to breakie?

Cried...

When a band plays live, there's a natural tendancy to speed up when your adrenaline is rushing. I'm in a band, I play drums. I've listened back to dozens of live recordings of myself where we blaze through songs but don't exactly feel it while we're playing. Matt even said, "there's a certain energy".

Not only that, Matt is one of the greatest drummers ever IMO, and his ability to play at a high level enables the band to play faster, probably to their liking, after last night- obviously Jeff loves it.

You wont make everyone happy doing this because there's some people who listen to the record the whole week before the show and are used to that tempo of Even Flow on Ten going in, and not understanding everything about a live show, or not understanding everything that is Pearl Jam.

I myself still learn new things about Pearl Jam everyday. Matt was disrespected, and thats a shame. totally soured the interview I think..
    Post edited by dreamweaver on
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    Never understood why people blame Matt for the entire band playing things faster.....
  • Options
    Gonzo1977Gonzo1977 Posts: 1,671
    The tempo of a song is mostly set by the drummer.

To Matt's defense...the band probably likes it that way.
  • Options
    Yes, the tempo is set by the drummer but like somebody already said... if the rest of the band didn't want it to be that way, then it wouldn't be. They would all end up backstage after the show and they'd all say 'what the hell was that?' and it would be fixed the next night.

Whoever said it, either Tim or Rob, that they enjoyed the faster pace live and then go back and listen to the album version and it's totally different than they remembered it is exactly how I feel on the "issue". Point in case, Given To Fly. I've listened to that damn song so many more times live than on the album and I prefer the live tempo so much more than studio. The studio version just doesn't even feel right to me anymore.
    * Cincinnati, OH 8.20.2000 *
    * Cincinnati, OH 6.24.2006 *
    * Columbus, OH 5.6.2010 * Noblesville, IN 5.7.2010 *
    * East Troy, MI 9.4.2011 * East Troy, MI 9.5.2011 *
    * Pittsburgh, PA 10.11.2013 *
  • Options
    Yes, the tempo is set by the drummer but like somebody already said... if the rest of the band didn't want it to be that way, then it wouldn't be. They would all end up backstage after the show and they'd all say 'what the hell was that?' and it would be fixed the next night.

Whoever said it, either Tim or Rob, that they enjoyed the faster pace live and then go back and listen to the album version and it's totally different than they remembered it is exactly how I feel on the "issue". Point in case, Given To Fly. I've listened to that damn song so many more times live than on the album and I prefer the live tempo so much more than studio. The studio version just doesn't even feel right to me anymore.

I agree.
    If this was a problem the band would have corrected this a long time ago.
  • Options
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

This, although widley excepted as a fact in drumming and music, is not always true.
    Everyone else in the band has the ability to drive, push or pull a performance. Especially if Ed or Stone starts a song off fast... or slow.
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

This, although widley excepted as a fact in drumming and music, is not always true.
    Everyone else in the band has the ability to drive, push or pull a performance. Especially if Ed or Stone starts a song off fast... or slow.

Exactly. If you've played in a band, you know this to be true.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    I think another thing that people don't recognize is that Matt's busier drumming style (for lack of a better term) tends to make the songs seem faster than they really are.....more tom fills, bass kicks and his ride/hi-hat patterns as well....

Dave was cymbal happy, but not necessarily in a busy way....it fit his groove well.

Jack's timing & patterns were more straight forward and simplistic overall (on most songs, some exceptions)

So even if Matt is playing a song with the exact same timing it is going to sound like it is being pushed harder to begin wtih....
  • Options
    tremorstremors Posts: 8,051
    I believe Matt is an accomplished jazz drummer, as well as many other styles - so I'm pretty sure he would know how to bust out a laid back groove if that was required for the task in hand. Given that Pearl Jam shows are all about that intense unrelenting energy though - I think Matt and the whole band have probably developed a live style deliberately which makes full use of his amazing energy and stamina. Many people like the current style, myself included, whereas some people find it is too quick for their taste. Personally I see this as the band's preference and a matter of taste; and in last night's interview Jeff said that they got frustrated that Jack Irons' energy would flag rather badly, and they couldn't do all the songs justice. The fact that they now have a drummer who could easily drive a marathon run with his energy is a great thing - that I count myself lucky to be able to appreciate. The quicker band pace overall is noticeable, and clearly some people don't like it - laying the blame at Matt's door however, and implying (as I think it does) that he can't hold the tempo, seems ridiculous to me. I used to play in a band with an amateur drummer who was really good, but who would speed up as the song got going, and we would end up playing the same song faster and faster as he got carried away. I don't think Matt Cameron - one of the world's most well respected drummers quite falls into this category! The tempo of each song is consistent. It seems obvious to me that the band play quicker because they like the live shows to be quick and energetic, and that the overall energy of the live setting and audience drives them all vigorously. Maybe when you hear the bootleg in a warm cosy living room, and compare the cuts to the studio performance the difference is more obvious. But when I've come back from a Pearl Jam show with Matt playing (which I've done 5 times) the last thing that has been going through my mind is...... 'man, that was all way too quick!!'
    Cancel my subscription to the Ressurection
    Send my credentials to the house of detention

lettherecordsplay1x.gif?t=1377796878
  • Options
    Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

Exactly. If you've played in a band, you know this to be true.
    Ok, so back to my point then...there are only two scenarios here:
    Either the band likes the up-tempo, and enjoy playing to his speed/interpretation....
    or...
    Matt can't control himself, nor the tempo, and they're too scared to ask him to breakfast. That's pretty much impossible for me to swallow.

If they thought he was screwing up their songs, they'd probably do something about it. Makes no sense to me that the band would let Matt dictate their entire live presentation musically....and yes...the rhythm of some songs is set by the opening guitars, and the drummers are listening to them for cues. I think most people in this thread are on the same page.
  • Options
    The guy that called up and told Matt to slow down was a total jerk. So embarrassing as a fan to hear another fellow fan say something so stupid. It shows a huge lack of respect.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    He should've just said that he plays them faster so that they can play 2-3 extra songs every night. ;)
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options
    The guy that called up and told Matt to slow down was a total jerk. So embarrassing as a fan to hear another fellow fan say something so stupid. It shows a huge lack of respect.

I know!!!

That guy was an epic douchebag.

1) How many times does the band have to explain that Temple was a one time deal?
    2) You get a chance to talk to A MEMBER OF PEARL JAM and you blow it by insulting them.

Just shameful...

That guy's Mom should do the world a favor and take the phone out of his room.
  • Options
    vedpunkvedpunk Posts: 821
    IF YOU CAN'T KEEP UP WITH MATT'S DRUM STYLE THEN YOU ARE FUCKING LAME. (I'm sorry for the profanity but some of you people need to hear it) That caller is an embarrassment to the Ten Club and to PJ fans everywhere. You don't call your idol to complain that they aren't doing their job right. Are you fucking serious?

THIS IS A ROCK BAND PEOPLE!!!!! Would you rather they slow down the timing and play like U2 or Nickelback? Matt brings intensity and energy to a Pearl Jam show and it only enhances the experience! Leave it to a lame Pearl Jam fan to try to ruin a good thing. Get a life.
  • Options
    teemanteeman Posts: 337
    Gonzo1977 wrote:

I know!!!

That guy was an epic douchebag.

1) How many times does the band have to explain that Temple was a one time deal?
    2) You get a chance to talk to A MEMBER OF PEARL JAM and you blow it by insulting them.

Just shameful...

That guy's Mom should do the world a favor and take the phone out of his room.

It's more of an insult to call a fellow fan a jerk if you ask me. He asked about slowing down the songs, that's not a totally unreasonable thing to ask Matt Cameron, drummer for PJ. If you listen to a lot of songs lately (Corduroy, Given to Fly, Evenflow to name a few) they are markedly faster live than they are on record. Even Rockin' in the Free World, they play the VMA version on PJ Radio, forgot how cool and methodical it sounded compared to recent versions.
  • Options
    boyo79boyo79 Warrington, UK Posts: 6,525
    He should've just said that he plays them faster so that they can play 2-3 extra songs every night. ;)

What a great answer this would be!!!!

I don't even know why there is such a debate about Matt and his drumming skills and songs now being played faster. The band clearly adore Matt and Ed has numerous times said how much of an amazing musician Matt is. Read the inlay notes for 'In The Moonlight' on Lost Dogs. That tells you what the band think of MC.

For me, he has taken the band to another level, something which Ed has said many times
    2000: Manchester
    2006: Dublin; Leeds; Arnhem
    2007: London
    2009: Manchester
    2012: Manchester I & II : EV Manchester : Soundgarden Shepherds Bush
    2013: Brad Manchester : Soundgarden Manchester
    2014: Amsterdam I & II; Berlin; Leeds; Milton Keynes
    2018: Berlin; London II; Boston II

Bootleg Reviews: http://pjbootlegreviews.blogspot.com/
This discussion has been closed.