The White Stripes broke up

Comments

• Dude....this SUCKS.

My only thinking here as far as the bright side is....

It's always possible they could get back together,...as long as both members are alive and healthy. We can't rule that out.

But if that never happens, I guess the only thing good is the integrity of the music will never be compromised and will always be intact.
    Something tells me if Jack thought there was a chance they'd get back together, they wouldn't formally announce their split. As much as it sucks, (they're one of the best live bands I've ever seen) I think this is it.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • I'm gonna say it again. This is a great thing for Jack White. He doesn't have an awful drummer slowing him down anymore. His best work may be with the White Stripes, but it's not anything he can't do with The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and eventually a solo album that is probably going to come sooner than later. His best is yet to come.

BTW, Bone Broke off their last record was the last straw with Meg. She made that song sound like garbage.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    manutd3581 wrote:
    I'm gonna say it again. This is a great thing for Jack White. He doesn't have an awful drummer slowing him down anymore. His best work may be with the White Stripes, but it's not anything he can't do with The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and eventually a solo album that is probably going to come sooner than later. His best is yet to come.

BTW, Bone Broke off their last record was the last straw with Meg. She made that song sound like garbage.
    Um...no.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • jmkjmk Posts: 425
    manutd3581 wrote:
    I'm gonna say it again. This is a great thing for Jack White. He doesn't have an awful drummer slowing him down anymore. His best work may be with the White Stripes, but it's not anything he can't do with The Raconteurs, The Dead Weather, and eventually a solo album that is probably going to come sooner than later. His best is yet to come.

I do not agree with you. Do you really mean that he could have done the same songs that he did with The White Stripes with his other bands? And Meg to slow him down/Bone Broke sounding like garbage? Please don't post garbage like that in the Little Room (their official forum) or you will be in trouble... I agree with you in some way as I believe that Jack could start a solo career and that TWS certainly made it hard for Jack to express all his ideas... We can only dream what that man will come up with... He is a true genius and the White Stripes was an excellent band. Period.
    Stockholm - 07/07/2012
  • manutd3581 wrote:

I have NEVER seen 2 performers with as much chemistry as Jack and Meg. Live they were unbelievable, explosive.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Shit. This really really really sucks.
    One of my favorite bands of all time.
    Shit.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Not trying to sound like I didnt like The White Stripes, cuz they were good (although I have a hard time when I see magazines claiming they changed the course of rock in the earlier decade; no one band did that.) Just saying that once I heard the Raconteurs and the Dead Weather, I wanted to see/hear more of them rather than more White Stripes. Plus Jack is a journey man, so he'll probly start other various projects or a solo album soon. He's doing his thing with Wanda Jackson now.
    MSG II 5/21/10
    Tres Mts. Gramercy Theatre 3/26/11
    *formerly manutd3581
  • This is :cry: Saw them a while back and they are awesome live. Hope one day they'll get back together and play again.
  • thefixer9thefixer9 Posts: 9,376
    Even though I wasn't the biggest White Strip fan I did like their music and is sad that they are slipping. But now I'm a little happy because that might mean a new Raconteur album which would be amazing!!! :D
    Tres Mts- 3/16/2011
    Eddie Vedder- 7/16/11
    Brad- 4/21/12 (RSD Performance), 4/27/12, 8/10/12
    Flight To Mars- 5/23/12
    RNDM- 11/27/12

PEARL JAM- 12/6/13 I have finally seen Pearl Jam live!
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,719
    stickfig13 wrote:
    gabers wrote:
    stickfig13 wrote:
    2003 is so pissed right now

:?

Right, cause they are no longer relevant. I guess I should go burn all of my old PJ stuff too.

PJ was relevant post 2003. For the record ;)

And The White Stripes weren't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Get_Behind_Me_Satan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icky_Thump
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    I love the White Stripes, one of my favorite all time. But, I think there's something to be said for them calling it off after creating 6 great albums. Going out on the top of their game. (eeven though we all know Jack has many other things going on)

If they feel that any further album would just be repeating the past, then I'm all for it. More bands should take that approach. Not every band can be has effective as Pearl Jam when it comes to changing up their sound.

I just wish, being from the Detroit area, that they were the first artist to be brought up to me when I'm away from Michigan. Its always fucking Eminem or even worse, Kid Rock. Musically, when someone hears Detroit, they should think the White Stripes.

by the way, one of the truly great live acts thats been around
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • I was fortunate enough to see them live twice, once in a small venue, and once in a large arena. Both shows were awesome. RIP WS.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • This is especially bad news for me as I don't like anything else Jack White has done.

At least I got to see them once. I was going to go the second night too but.....hindsight's a wonderful thing isnt it.

Gutted. :(
    It's gonna be a glorious day...
  • MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Was so looking forward to seeing them live. :cry:
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    The.White.Stripes.jpg

R.I.P.
    #FHP
  • Super bummed today- they were at the top of the list of bands I never got to see live and was hoping to.
    No time to be void or save up on life, you gotta spend it all.
  • Its interesting to me that this came after so much smoke about future WS music. Hopefully The Raconteurs get back in the studio soon
    http://mastersofourdomain.blogspot.com/

My Movie/Music Reviews & Sports Blog
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Anybody else think there's probably more to this? From all the most recent news about them they were plannin on gettin in the studio sooner than later. There's some points in UGWNL where there seem to be a few issues and for it to all just end seems strange, especially with the way Jack whores himself around.

Not saying it's got to the point where they hate each other, but probably just decided to end it before it got there.

Maybe they just didn't wanna mess with the generally happy go lucky image.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    :( Sad news, The White Stripes were fabulous. Wish I would have gotten to see them!

But oh well, we still have Jack and his various projects! He's a genius.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • TMudrickTMudrick Posts: 267
    A sad sad day in the music industry... I have been in mourning all day long.
  • DewieCox wrote:
    Anybody else think there's probably more to this? From all the most recent news about them they were plannin on gettin in the studio sooner than later. There's some points in UGWNL where there seem to be a few issues and for it to all just end seems strange, especially with the way Jack whores himself around.

Not saying it's got to the point where they hate each other, but probably just decided to end it before it got there.

I think the last scene in UGWNL where Jack is playing the piano and Meg is crying is a little strange...
  • DewieCox wrote:

I think the last scene in UGWNL where Jack is playing the piano and Meg is crying is a little strange...

I haven't seen it yet. Can you elaborate a little bit?
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    here ya go

the last scene during "white moon" on piano (scroll towards end before credits at 5:00 mark).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiZ68ifob0g
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    So... when do you think are they getting back together?

I say 2015.
    DewieCox wrote:

I hope they have something in the can for a future release. But the not playing live again is the sucky part.
    #FHP
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    horos-

love your profile pic man. :mrgreen: :P I'm gonna have to youtube that - haven't seen the simpson's/stripes episode.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • It took me a long time to relent to the power of the Stripes, I don't like being told by the music press who I should like and more than often will dismiss a band and have it come back to bite me in the arse at a later date. It was through my purchasing of The Raconteurs 1st album that I started to warm to their sound although I secretly loved One Nation Army but just couldn't admit as I had dismissed them to so many friends who had sung their praises. When you have it rammed down your throat so often by so many my intention is to go, against the grain, thinking Vs was better than Ten was not a popular opinion back in 1993 (around my social circle anyway) but it's what I think I just wanted the dust to settle and get to them on my own terms, many times I come to a band after everyone else has stopped been so rabid and in a frenzy about how amazing they are, that's just the way it is.

I purchased Elephant on vinyl and then De Stijl soon after, my Jack White habit was forming, so that when Icky Thump arrived I was well ready. I signed up in 2009 to the Vault scheme, the way that Jack and TMR treated vinyl and their obvious passion for arguably the best music format of all time contributed to my continuing love for all things Jack White. Also the thought of getting first refusal on tickets for any TMR acts was an exciting propostion. I have only seen the Dead Weather and hope that with the demise of WS that The Raconteurs drop their third and I get a chance to catch me some more Jack. Although it is with regret I won't get a chance to see the original White band live, friends who've seen them have remarked what an experience they are but I guess that is life. I wouldn't have thought a reunion would be on the cards that quick if at all.

White is still a young man and has plenty more to say and I guess him and Meg must have thought that it had come to it's conclusion and as many have said it is better to go out with an impressive legacy than flog a dead horse like the like so many others have. Who knows what comes next in the evolution of TMR. I look forward to my next vault package and hope that more rare WS surfaces within this fantastic scheme.

I have just received the first 3 White Stripes album from TMR in their new reissued form and look forward to listening to them in their 180 gram glory. I hope that we finally now get a releases Vault or just through standard TMR of the elusive Get Behind Me Satan on vinyl, I'm hoping the reissue of the 1st 3 is not the end and that Elephant follows as my vinyl copy is not the best.

RIP to the White Stripes your impact will be hard to be forgotten, even though you took your time to win me over I count myself a big fan and mourn your passing.
    red mos wrote:
    horos-

love your profile pic man. :mrgreen: :P I'm gonna have to youtube that - haven't seen the simpson's/stripes episode.
    Stole it from someone in The Little Room.
    #FHP
  • rb115565rb115565 Posts: 222
    I could see this coming Meg does not like to tour and Jack has many other things on the go, I really hope he records more Raconteurs records.
    5/30/03 9/2/05 9/4/05 9/5/05 7/22/06 7/23/06 9/21/09 9/22/09 9/21/11 9/22/11
  • This is just such a bummer. I wonder if these songs will ever be played live again?