The "Wilco" Thread

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited September 2013 in Other Music
Just thought it would be cool to have a "Wilco" thread here in the pit, I have been really digging them now more then ever and only keep going deeper into their catalog. I know there are a lot of fans out there on this board so this would be a good place to share the love for this band.

I just watched "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" again, what a great rock-doc, some great footage here on this DVD for a special album, really gets you into the band. Reminds me of the way SVT just grabbed me and made me a even bigger Pearl Jam fan.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• May 30thMay 30th Posts: 1,643
    i have also been on a huge wilco craze lately. just ordered "being there" on vinyl, so now i just need summerteeth and a.m. on vinyl and the collection is complete. seem them 3 times now and every time they are unreal. much like pearl jam.
  • I just got "Summerteeth" and "Wilco (The Album)" on vinyl for Christmas, working on buying the others soon too.
  • Has anyone seen "Ashes of American Flags"?
    I just ordered it, wondering where it may rank for their DVD selection.
  • BH304897BH304897 Posts: 137
    Excellent dvd, great footage, all concert footage is from pretty cool venues. A must have for any wilco fan.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Has anyone seen "Ashes of American Flags"?
    I just ordered it, wondering where it may rank for their DVD selection.
    AMAZING DVD, one of my favourites. Well shot, well recorded, just awesome. I listen to it fairly often as well (you can download all the tracks from it, comes with a d/l card).
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Just wondering if anyone has any wilco live concerts? I have a few but am looking for more, specifically red rocks 09. I've seen some sites but the concerts are in flac.

Thanks
  • BH304897 wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone has any wilco live concerts? I have a few but am looking for more, specifically red rocks 09. I've seen some sites but the concerts are in flac.

Thanks

I just downloaded a program that converts Flac to MP3 files.
    Do you have a Mac or PC.
    It was called All2MP3, maybe this will help.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    I like these guys. It seemed like for a while there i saw them touring once a year but over the past few years they have been coming around town less and less.

I can't wait for them to come back into town because i always get geeked up and start listening to all their albums when they do. I have their ACL show recorded on my DVR and watched it the other day.

The ashes of american flags is a great dvd, but the i'm trying to break your heart doc is great. It was recently voted by Rolling Stone as one of the top 15 rock documentaries on netflix
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    Just scored tickets to the show at Cains Ballroom! Couldn't be happier, well maybe if PJ was playing, but still.
  • I'm hoping to see Jeff Tweedy in Montreal this March.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    Tweedy just played boulder, thought about going but tickets were close to $100 after market. Would like to see him solo but wilco trumps that any day. Especially at $40 a ticket all fees inc.
  • BH304897 wrote:
    Tweedy just played boulder, thought about going but tickets were close to $100 after market. Would like to see him solo but wilco trumps that any day. Especially at $40 a ticket all fees inc.
    Yeah, the Montreal show is $40.. I've only seen Wilco once (kicking myself for not going last year), but there's something cool about solo shows.
    Yeah there is, probably would have dropped the cash but i also would have to of worked after the show so it would have been work. Enjoy the show!
  • Wilco will be playing the Performing Arts Centre here in Montgomery on May 2nd. That's a major coup for them to play here. Then the next night, they'll be down in Mobile for a performance before they head to Jazz Fest in New Orleans.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

Just scored fourth row tickets to the show in Denton, it's nice and odd to be able to get decent tickets to see such a great band. Haven't had really great seats to to a Pearl Jam show since the Vote For Change tour.
  • Bump.

I just bought my Wilco tix for their May 2nd show in Montgomery. This is too cool. I can literally walk to the venue from my office after I leave work. To top it off, my seats are in the Orchestra section. Can't beat that.
    United Center (Chicago): 8/24/09
    Gibson Amphitheatre (Los Angeles): 10/7/09

• jervin007jervin007 Posts: 3,181
    Scored two tickets to the Portland, Maine show during the pre-sale (ORCH row 11) on Wednesday. Then this morning I figured I would try to general on-sale and scored ORCH row 2!! Really pumped. The State Theatre is a great venue and was actually the first place I saw Wilco back in 2004. Not to mention its about 200 yards from my apartment....sweet!!!

Solo shows from Trey and Jeff this spring...life is good.
    PJ:
    2003 Mansfield: July 2
    2004 Boston: Sept 28 & 29
    2005 Montreal: Sept 15
    2006 Boston: May 24 & 25
    2008 Hartford: June 27, Mansfield: June 28,
    2010 Boston: May 17
    2013 Worcester: Oct 15, Hartford: Oct 25,
    2016 Hampton: April 18, Raleigh: April 20 (cancelled), Columbia: April 21. Quebec: May 5. Boston (Fenway): August 7

EV Solo: Boston 8/2/08, Boston 6/16/11
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Getting tix to see them play in Houston in May. Always an awesome show. Now that Pearl Jam no longer plays in Texas except for one off shows at festivals in Austin and the White Stripes have officially broken up, I've promised myself to catch every show I can for Wilco.

Any word on a release date for their new album? Rolling Stone had said they're currently recording...
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    Has anyone seen Autmn Defense live?
  • Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    I just started listening to them yesterday and listened to AM and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. Enjoying them right now. Looking forward to the two docs.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
    Although I respect YHFT as one of the greatest of all time, you need to listen to A Ghost is Born because I think it's the best album of theirs. Kicking Television is also an exceptional disc as far as live, definatly worth a listen. It will continue from there.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    simply put
    one of top three American bands right now (PJ, MMJ and Wilco)

although I love YHFT and GIB

sky blue sky is the most played on my Itunes-a tremendous record

and the "evening with" tour last year was the best shows Ive seen in a long time

Congrats to those with Tix to see 2011 shows

Release for new record will be fall 2011.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    I agree with the above poster that Mmj, pj and Wilco are the 3 best bands right now.

Yes, sbs is amazing. Heard walken on the radio yesterday. Great track.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • acpaxton01acpaxton01 Oklahoma Posts: 172
    In case anyone is interested, Wilco cleaned out their warehouse and is selling a ton of old posters on their web site for $25. I was able to pick up the poster from the first concert I ever went to with my wife!

http://wilco.kungfustore.com/categories/461-posters-from-the-archives?page=1&per_page=65
    October 17, 2000 Dallas, TX
    April 3, 2003 Oklahoma City, OK
    September 22, 2012 Atlanta, GA
    November 15, 2013 Dallas, TX
    November 16, 2013 Oklahoma City, OK
    October 8, 2014 Tulsa, OK
    May 1, 2016 New York, NY
    May 2, 2016 New York, NY
    August 13, 2018 Missoula, MT
    acpaxton01 wrote:
    In case anyone is interested, Wilco cleaned out their warehouse and is selling a ton of old posters on their web site for $25. I was able to pick up the poster from the first concert I ever went to with my wife!

http://wilco.kungfustore.com/categories/461-posters-from-the-archives?page=1&per_page=65

I saw their tweet earlier, so I grabbed a few posters, as well as the Popeye/Wilco tshirt.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,443
    JOEJOEJOE wrote:
    Has anyone seen Autmn Defense live?
    Yes. I saw them open for tweedy about a year ago up in tarrytown, NY

Pretty good, a 70s vibe.

Scored pavilion tix for the camden show in July!
  • Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,723
    Going to see Jeff Tweedy play solo tomorrow night at the vic in Chicago...looking forward to it!
  • djklambakedjklambake PHX, AZ Posts: 2,510
    I caught them a couple months ago when they played in Tempe. Really solid set. First time seeing them...I'd definitely go catch them again!
    6/27/98 - East Troy, WI
    6/29/06 - Milwaukee, WI
    9/25/11 - Vancouver, BC
    11/4/12 - (Eddie Vedder) Phoenix, AZ
    11/1/13 - New Orleans, LA
    11/19/13 - Phoenix, AZ
    11/21/13 - San Diego, CA
    10/12/14 - Austin, TX
    10/22/14 - Denver, CO
    8/22/16 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley 2)
  • he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
    seeing them in May for the 2nd time. Cant wait
    We were but stones your light made us stars
    Wilco just announced 2 shows at Red Rocks, as well as a show at a minor league baseball stadium near Chicago! It would be so cool to see them play at a small ballpark!