Options

The R.E.M. thread

dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
edited January 2011 in Other Music
My new musical obsession, and infatuation. Is it possible for this band to NOT kick even the slightest amount of ass?

I haven't been able to stop listening to Murmur lately. I know there are other threads that mention them a lot, but I couldn't find one that was simply an R.E.M. thread...so, now it's time.

Talk about the passion.... 8-):mrgreen: :geek:
7/2/06 - Denver, CO
6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Paulina87Paulina87 Poland Posts: 3,300
    I love them, great energy. Saw them live and must say that it was the best show I've ever seen (right after pj ones ;) )
    Can't wait to see them again and listen to new stuff soon :D
    Chorzów 2007 - Berlin 2009 - Berlin 2010 - Gdynia 2010 - Berlin 2012 - Berlin 2012 - Stockholm 2012 - EV Manchester 2012 - Milan 2014 - Trieste 2014 - Vienna 2014 - Berlin 2014 - Gdynia 2014 - Rio 2018 - Sao Paulo 2018
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Fantastic band!

Great to see a thread devoted to them.

Personally, I can't wait for Collapse Into Now.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,420
    I have been listening to a lot of their harder stuff lately...Monster really rocks, as does Accelerate.

Some of the slower songs on their 2000s albums are a bit too depressing at times.
  • Options
    Listening to "Mine Smell Like Honey" from the upcoming Collapse Into Now. Songs like this are the reason I've been loving this band for 28 years. :ugeek:
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Have really gotten into R.E.M. over the past year, pretty much everything about them rocks! So many solid albums. Found the album Green in my house a little while ago, asked my mom about it and said she'd gotten it as a gift a while ago but never listened to it and I could have it. Listened to that and I was hooked! Very excited for Collapse Into Now and would LOVE to see them live, hoping for that experience this year!
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    geckogecko Posts: 1,712
    jammerfall wrote:
    Listening to "Mine Smell Like Honey" from the upcoming Collapse Into Now. Songs like this are the reason I've been loving this band for 28 years. :ugeek:

I really like this one, thank god, as I was a bit dissapointed with the first few from Collapse. Want to listen to it really loud, good sign. :D
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    They're the only band in the past 20 plus years to churn out consistently great albums. Yes, even Up and Around The Sun.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    KevDylan wrote:
    They're the only band in the past 20 plus years to churn out consistently great albums. Yes, even Up and Around The Sun.
    I loved Around the Sun.
    REM = Awesome
  • Options
    RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    nuffingman wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:
    I loved Around the Sun.
    REM = Awesome

You ain't ever lied.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    WHAT

A

BAND

Not even gonna sit here and list the 99 million great songs and amazingness of Stipe, you all know it!

Disappear is kicking my ass right now though, always finding new gems!
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    but I couldn't find one that was simply an R.E.M. thread...so, now it's time.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141955&p=3245752&hilit=rem#p3245752
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141504&hilit=rem
    Here's 2. Boom baby. Someone doesn't know how to use the search function. :lol: Eat it DC.

Viva REM. My 3rd favorite band ever.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    dcfaithful wrote:
    but I couldn't find one that was simply an R.E.M. thread...so, now it's time.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141955&p=3245752&hilit=rem#p3245752
    http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=141504&hilit=rem
    Here's 2. Boom baby. Someone doesn't know how to use the search function. :lol: Eat it DC.

Viva REM. My 3rd favorite band ever.
    Damnit! :x :oops:

In all fairness though, a band like R.E.M. deserves multiple threads. :lol:8-)
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    veddertownveddertown Scotland Posts: 5,260
    You know my opinion David!!! I'm so glad that if someone is starting a thread for REM that it's you. It didn't take long for the spell to take hold man! Hope this thread sticks. Can't wait for the album, hopefully a tour although I heard a small rumour they were going back into the studio to make another album because they had lots of songs and then would tour with both? If I can find that link again I'll post it here but it was on one of the many festival rumour threads. Really, really, really, really amazing band and if you can't ever make a PJ gig this band is at least 99% as good!! :D

Edit: if you made this the REM (as they are apparently going to be using now) thread you could ignore those other "R.E.M." ones! ;)

Edit 2: Damn, they have the dots on the new album cover! :roll:
    Like a book among the many on a shelf...

Dublin 02 Arena - 22/6/10. Belfast Odyssey Arena - 23/6/10. London Hyde Park - 25/6/10. Berlin Wuhlheide - 30/6/10.
    Manchester MEN - 20/06/12. Manchester MEN - 21/06/12
  • Options
    pj8pj8 Posts: 408
    Yes, R.E.M. deserves a thread! Sorry but, i'd rank R.E.M. just over PJ as fav. band of all time. R.E.M. live is amazing. Everybody deserves to see them (and PJ of course) live! Collapse Into Now is gonna rock!!
  • Options
    rcsrcs Posts: 711
    Have loved this band ever since I discovered them in 1986 with Life's Rich Pageant (still my favorite R.E.M. album of all time). So many of their albums are just pure classics. Murmur, Reckoning, Document, Green, Automatic for the People, and on and on.

How cool would it be if they were one of the "friends" that play with PJ this year? :shock:
    E agora? Faz xixi na mão e deita fora!
  • Options
    KevDylan wrote:
    :clap: Thank you! :clap:
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • Options
    Love REM!! Can't wait for the new album... and really hope we get a few Euro dates maybe this year. Hey, if Eddie thinks they should tour it, then who's to argue :D

Recent Peter Buck interview: "I'd really like to do it, but we've toured a lot, so we'll see. What I will say is that when Eddie Vedder was listening to a playback of the album he said, 'This would be great to take on tour'. But we'll see."
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    RYEzupSF wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    KevDylan wrote:
    I loved Around the Sun.
    REM = Awesome

You ain't ever lied.
    It's not in my nature :) . Twickenham 2008 is still one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. The new album sounds as if it's going to be a good one. Sadly I have a feeling they won't be touring.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    It's all about Document 8-)
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Murmur... seriously, what a kick ass record.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
  • Options
    It's all about Document 8-)
    First album I got of theirs, I love Disturbance At The Heron House.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL