Greatest guitar solo ever

Comments

• g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    yosi1 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Rush - The Camera Eye. Gives me the chills every time.

So true. I love Rush!
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Hard to pick one from Rush, but I think either the one in the center of 2112 or the one from Freewill would have to be it. Some of those little solos from Hold Your Fire are very impressive too.

Did any of you see RUSH on their Time Machine tour last year? Well They jammed The Camera Eye and my head almost exploded hearing it LIVE for the first time, I saw them again in the finally here in FL. They'll start up the tour here again in South Florida March 30th I will b there AGAIN #46. As much as I love TCE my favorite guitar solo from RUSH has to be La Villa Strangiato
    The Camera Eye Live 2010

La Villa Strangiato Live '84 I think

Joe Satriani has quite a few love the solo in Always With Me, Always With You.....Crystal Planet
    Always with Me, Always With you live

Crystal Planet Live

Crushing Day I quite nice I agree....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO_18sTbhA

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd
    Key To The Highway - Derek Trucks Band
    Little Wing - Jimi Hendrix
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    g under p wrote:
    yosi1 wrote:
    BinFrog wrote:
    Rush - The Camera Eye. Gives me the chills every time.

So true. I love Rush!
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Hard to pick one from Rush, but I think either the one in the center of 2112 or the one from Freewill would have to be it. Some of those little solos from Hold Your Fire are very impressive too.

Did any of you see RUSH on their Time Machine tour last year? Well They jammed The Camera Eye and my head almost exploded hearing it LIVE for the first time, I saw them again in the finally here in FL. They'll start up the tour here again in South Florida March 30th I will b there AGAIN #46. As much as I love TCE my favorite guitar solo from RUSH has to be La Villa Strangiato
    The Camera Eye Live 2010

La Villa Strangiato Live '84 I think

Joe Satriani has quite a few love the solo in Always With Me, Always With You.....Crystal Planet
    Always with Me, Always With you live

Crystal Planet Live

Crushing Day I quite nice I agree....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO_18sTbhA

Peace

The Time Machine tour was freaking awesome. Seeing TCE was a life moment for me.

Crushing Day - Along with Yngwie's "Far Beyond The Sun", may be the finest shred guitar soloing ever.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    Dogs-take your pick of them, the song is 17 minutes of perfection

If I had to just choose one, this would be it
    was it?....
  • craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Dear Mr. Fantasy - Traffic. A straight-up classic.

To the Sea - Jack Johnson. I know, I know, Jack's not quite known for his solos, but the one at the end of this song is just plain dirty.

Wiser Time - Black Crowes. THE best song ever written, with the best guitar parts ever played.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • agree on alot of the ones posted already, especially

stp-trippin..
    mmj-one big holiday
    and Gov't Mule-Soulshine (Live)

although i respect the technical guitarist that can play blazing fast scales, i love the solos that really hit you hard

RHCP-I Could of Lied
    Allman Bros Band-Dreams
    Rolling Stones - Sway

my all-time favorite has to be Led Zeppelin - Since I've Been Loving You
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese

although i respect the technical guitarist that can play blazing fast scales, i love the solos that really hit you hard
    This. Though guys like Satch and Vai are extremely skilled, I'd rather there be emotion, even if it's sloppy.
  • machine gun. anyone who says differently is high or is a novice in musical matters. that song and solo, the whole thing, jimi took the guitar to new heights. it was the highest point, peak, of the guitar and what it could do. i'd argue no other musician and guitarist even people like page and frusciante and other guitar gods, never reached the mountain that was machine gun
  • BinFrog wrote:
    also: all of "Three Days" by Jane's Addiction.

also i know its over 5 years since this comment was made, but what makes three days great isnt a guitar riff. you hearing the same song i am hearing. its a bass riff
  • hell machine gun is the greatest guitar solo even if it ONLY was that 12 second feedback sound jimi makes.

This. Though guys like Satch and Vai are extremely skilled, I'd rather there be emotion, even if it's sloppy.

Compared to pretty much all of the other shred guitarists, Satch has major soul.
    BinFrog wrote:
    also: all of "Three Days" by Jane's Addiction.

also i know its over 5 years since this comment was made, but what makes three days great isnt a guitar riff. you hearing the same song i am hearing. its a bass riff

Dave Navarro is nasty throughout the whole song. Yes it starts with a bad ass bass riff, but it builds from there. Dave goes from haunting to metal to blazing crescendo solo all in a 10 minute span. It's alt rock's Stairway to Heaven.

Also: You hearing the last minute of it?
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    machine gun. anyone who says differently is high or is a novice in musical matters. that song and solo, the whole thing, jimi took the guitar to new heights. it was the highest point, peak, of the guitar and what it could do. i'd argue no other musician and guitarist even people like page and frusciante and other guitar gods, never reached the mountain that was machine gun

I'd take Since I've Been Loving You(studio) No Quarter from TSTRTS(and several other) over Machine Gun. I'd take somethin from Hendrix at Woodstock over Machine Gun all day. Love all the jammin on that one.

I wouldn't put Froosh on the same plain as Page. He's came up with some cool stuff but when it comes time to flow and lay a big nasty solo like Hendrix or Page, he just can't cut it, imo.
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Or live version of Blue Veins.

Anyone seen a EVH solo live. It incorporates Eruption, Mean Streets(intro), Cathedral into a 10-15 blaze of soloing. I believe under one of thier live albums it's called 316.
    #FHP
  • JDBJDB Posts: 277
    Too many to pick one but I always liked the solo in Good Times Bad Times by Led Zep, that's how an electric guitar should sound to me. Slashes second solo in November Rain is a great one too. Also Up The Beach by Jane's Addiction, nice sound.
  • No love for Reach Down?

might not be the greatest ever, but it's up there.
  • Kirk Hammett-One
    Hendrix-Voodoo Child
    SRV-Scuttle Buttin'
    "In certain trying circumstances...profanity furnishes a relief denied even to prayer." - Mark Twain
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    Mike McCready's solo in "Wake up" on Above by Mad Season.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Kenny Olav wrote:

Good calls. Don't forget:

La Villa Strangiato (from E...SL is insane)
    Analog Kid
    Kid Gloves
    Cut To The Chase
    Limelight (just for pure emotion)
    The Necromancer
    Natural Science

The solo in Limelight is awesome, so emotional................as is the solo in Between The Wheels (Grace Under Pressure).
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956

this song live is...amazing. blue veins is definitely up there as well.

reach down.
    november rain gets me every time.
    like suicide.
    lateralus.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    nuffingman wrote:
    Doyle Bramhall when he was support guitarist for Clapton at Hyde park 2008. After 5 minutes of Little Queen of Spades the rest of the band quietened down and off he went. There was nothing fast and flash but the sound made the hair go up on the back of my neck.

doyle is great. love his album "welcome." if you like doyle, check out philip sayce. he's got a very similar style.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    Fender_Man wrote:
    The solo in Limelight is awesome, so emotional................as is the solo in Between The Wheels (Grace Under Pressure).

Yup...another great one. Loved when they busted that song out a few years ago. Badass tune, and they did some great lightshow work to go along with it.
  • NYCPJNYCPJ nyc Posts: 761
    Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I dunno if it's possible to narrow it down to 1, so I'll take 5. And they are all pretty cliche'.

Comfortably Numb-that part where the notes keep climbing towards the very end of the song is so amazing

Stairway-I know it's cheesy, but after a thousand listens, this one still does something for me

Free Bird-the fact that Allen Collins double tracked the solo with the first 2 live takes, makes this the most impressive on my list

Soulshine from Live......with a little help from my friends-the dueling guitars of Warren Haynes and Derek Trucks are on full display, quite possibly the most beautiful solo I have heard

Dogs-take your pick of them, the song is 17 minutes of perfection

These are all pretty great choices. Dogs is fantastic. Animals is probably my favorite PF album.
    A few more:
    Heartbreaker -- Jimmy Page
    Achilles Last Stand- Jimmy page
    All along the watchtower-- Hendrix
    Time - Gilmour
    Shine on your crazy diamond - Gilmour
    Highway Star -- Ritchie Blackmore
    Texas Flood - SRV
    Reelin in the years-- Elliot Randall
    Kid Charlemagne - Larry Carlton
    Brighton Rock - Brian May
    Red House - Hendrix
    Layla - Clapton/Duane Allman
    Stranglehold -- Ted Nugent
    One - Kirk Hammet
    Blue Sky - Duane Allman/Dickey Betts
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Pearl Jam - Nothing as it seems
    Pearl Jam - Go
    Anything Jimi Hendrix, especially Voodoo Child
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    BinFrog wrote:
    Fender_Man wrote:

Yup...another great one. Loved when they busted that song out a few years ago. Badass tune, and they did some great lightshow work to go along with it.

Agreed, Limelight is a highlight when played LIVE and for me ANYTHING from Grace Under Pressure ROCKS!

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• julesandianjulesandian Posts: 487
    edited January 2011
    Here's my 2 pence worth:

Nothing As It Seems - PJ
    Black Hole Sun - Soundgarden
    Cortez the Killer - Neil Young
    November Hotel - Mad Season
    Cliffs of Dover - Eric Johnson (Seriously I can't stop smiling whenever I hear this song!)

Can't ignore:

Stairway
    Comfortably Numb
    All Along the Watchtower
    Freebird
    Hotel California
    Layla
    November Rain
    Eruption
    Post edited by julesandian on
  • HorosHoros Posts: 4,518
    Explosion
    Who does this?
    #FHP
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    Time
    DewieCox wrote:
    Time
    I retract my answers and agree with this.