A little distraught....

2»

Comments

• PearlJainPearlJain Posts: 565
    Thank you, Mrs Vedder1978! (As you can tell, I'm new to this sight......just finally joined 10c yesterday!)
    The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Gandhi

"Empty pockets will Allow a greater Sense of wealth...." EV/ITW
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    Concerts where the musicians just play song after song are one-dimensional. I never understood the "shut up and play" mentality.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • florida blows.............

hehehehehehe............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • bicyclejoebicyclejoe USA Posts: 1,042
    On 10C today, a new post with Matt and politics.... well is it me or has PJ run their political beliefs on us into the ground. Don't get me wrong, everyone IS entitled to their personal preferences and opinions, just how many years of this are wew going to get (nader 2000, vfc 2004, and now 2008.......). Screw the politics just give us some new music and some shows to the south......

You can't be serious.

Taking a political stand has always been part of Pearl Jam's DNA (from Eddie writing pro-choice comments on his arm during the unplugged session in 92 to all of the political endorsements and songs).

Although I don't always agree with them (Nader in 2000), I 've always respected their decision to use music as a form of political speech and protest. I wouldn't be listening to them otherwise.
    Their music wouldn't have much weight.
    My Pearl Jam Road: 10/22/90 Seattle | 12/22/90 Seattle, Moore Theater | 9/29/92 Seattle, Magnusson Park, Drop in the Park | 9/5/93 The Gorge, with Neil Young and Blind Melon | 7/20/06 Portland, Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall with Sleater-Kinney | 7/22/06 The Gorge, 10/21/06 Mountain View, Shoreline Ampitheatre, Bridge School Benefit | 9/21/09 Seattle | 9/22/09 Seattle | 9/26/09 Portland, OR | 7/14/2011 Eddie Vedder, Portland, OR | 11/29/13 Portland, OR
  • Concerts where the musicians just play song after song are one-dimensional. I never understood the "shut up and play" mentality.

The "shut up and sing" mentality doesn't mean you have to be a song-by-song one-dimensional act. I don't know how many live concerts you've seen outside of Pearl Jam, but I have seen countless shows where the performances are incredibly engaging, tons of fan-performer interaction, and not a breath of politics was ever spoken.

Again, as I said in my prior post, I have absolutely no issue with the band being into politics. I actually like it, even though I think their views are a tad extreme at times. It does show that they care, it does show they have a brain, that they have a conscience. I just personally preferred it when it wasn't quite as prominent and preachy as it has become.

But hey, Clinton will probably win, so maybe we can get back to some No Code/Yield type material. Political sure, but not dominating the landscape of the music and the live experience the way it has become over the past couple albums and past few tours.
  • meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    BUSH-lager wrote:
    The "shut up and sing" mentality doesn't mean you have to be a song-by-song one-dimensional act. I don't know how many live concerts you've seen outside of Pearl Jam, but I have seen countless shows where the performances are incredibly engaging, tons of fan-performer interaction, and not a breath of politics was ever spoken.

Again, as I said in my prior post, I have absolutely no issue with the band being into politics. I actually like it, even though I think their views are a tad extreme at times. It does show that they care, it does show they have a brain, that they have a conscience. I just personally preferred it when it wasn't quite as prominent and preachy as it has become.

But hey, Clinton will probably win, so maybe we can get back to some No Code/Yield type material. Political sure, but not dominating the landscape of the music and the live experience the way it has become over the past couple albums and past few tours.

I hear you. I can identify with that. I am a huge George Carlin fan, but I like his pre-90's material best because, although he was political, teh way he delivered the politics was more comedy-based than outright rants as he does now. So it is sort of analogous.
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • I hear you. I can identify with that. I am a huge George Carlin fan, but I like his pre-90's material best because, although he was political, teh way he delivered the politics was more comedy-based than outright rants as he does now. So it is sort of analogous.

Yeah kinda like Bill Maher's stand up routines... Its more of a lecture. He seems so pissed to. Not my idea of comedy.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,769
    I have no problem with their political activism and speaking out for what they believe.

The only problem I have is when some people make their voting decisions based solely on who the band is supporting in a particular election.
  • covered in blisscovered in bliss chi-caw-go Posts: 1,326
    I never understood the "shut up and play" mentality.

I understand it and it's a contradictory topic. I understand their 'right' to do it and the 'need' for it, BUT--

When I go to a show, I want to escape and let the music take over. When there is a break in the energy... when you hear your favorite song and then Ed starts ranting and reminds you of the f-ed up world outside... it's a downer and a buzzkill.
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    Rose1963 wrote:
    Thank you, Mrs Vedder1978! (As you can tell, I'm new to this sight......just finally joined 10c yesterday!)

No problem Rose...! ;)

Welcome to the board :)
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • Mrs.Vedder78Mrs.Vedder78 Posts: 4,585
    florida blows.............

hehehehehehe............

Well Good Morning to you too Sunshine! :p
    "Without the album covers, where do you clean your pot?" - EV
  • memememe Posts: 4,693
    Gotcha.

You are not distraught that about 4,000 soldiers have died in Iraq in the last five years or so, that many Americans live in dread of falling sick because they have no health insurance, that thousands of kids will go hungry in the US and all over the world today. You are distraught that a brilliant musician is committed to making sure all these things change.

I hope for all the passionate, smart fans in the South that you get your show soon, but you sure give the South a bad name.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    When I go to a show, I want to escape and let the music take over. When there is a break in the energy... when you hear your favorite song and then Ed starts ranting and reminds you of the f-ed up world outside... it's a downer and a buzzkill.

You may want to choose a different band to follow.
    meme wrote:
    You may want to choose a different band to follow.

I'm fine, thanks!
    I'm fine, thanks!

Thought so, and that's why these threads are pointless.
    meme wrote:
    Thought so, and that's why these threads are pointless.

Opening your mind to both (or more) sides of an issue is a great thing.
  • I could never listen to a band that conflicted with my political beliefs

I have never understood conservative PJ fans

A band that preached how great the war is would have to rock harder than any band ever to get me to listen to them.

It ain't happening, not now, not ever.
  • upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    On 10C today, a new post with Matt and politics.... well is it me or has PJ run their political beliefs on us into the ground. Don't get me wrong, everyone IS entitled to their personal preferences and opinions, just how many years of this are wew going to get (nader 2000, vfc 2004, and now 2008.......). Screw the politics just give us some new music and some shows to the south......

that's like asking the government not to lie to us; never gonna happen

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    aNiMaL wrote:
    I second what hourglassnebula said.

and i tripple the same thoughts ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    Why does this surprise or bother you? This is nothing new. They believe in something and the back it and get the word out the best they can. I really wish more people(myself included) believed in something as strong as they do. Whether you agree or not, while we sit here and argue or try to justify it on a CHAT board, they are out there doing something. I for one need to get more educated on the issues at hand. I usually have no interest in these kinds of things, but as I get older, I find myself caring more and WANTING to understand something I use to think I was not allowed to have an opinion on. Because of THIS band, I will be voting for the FIRST time in my life, and I am 38...This is a good thing my friend, not something you I or anyone should be complaining about. We should be getting involved even if we choose to go a different direction, they would want it that way...:)

awesome dude...
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • I could never listen to a band that conflicted with my political beliefs

I have never understood conservative PJ fans

A band that preached how great the war is would have to rock harder than any band ever to get me to listen to them.

It ain't happening, not now, not ever.

Your first sentence is more closed minded than someone who loves the band but disagrees with their politics. Maybe that is why you will "never understand". Just because some folks dont agree with a lot of their politics doesn't mean they think "the war is great" or would enjoy songs about that. That would be rediculously over the top. Kinda how i think PJ is in their politics... just the other way.
  • Just because some folks dont agree with a lot of their politics doesn't mean they think "the war is great" or would enjoy songs about that.

granted, however Pearl jam is against the war and some fans say "shut up" so I just simply reversed the example and put myself in their position as a fan of the parallel universe opposite PJ.

how about this. they wish eddie would shut up and I wish they would shut up and you wish I would shut up. :)
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    awesome dude...

:).....G!!

I have such a long way to go, man. Better late than never though, right??
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    :).....G!!

I have such a long way to go, man. Better late than never though, right??[/quote

me too this will be my 1st presidential election also and it's because of this band that i choose to become a citizen and be active in the political process before i never had an opinion now i do thanks .....pj
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Opening your mind to both (or more) sides of an issue is a great thing.

Exactly, just because you don't agree with the band on one or two issues doesn't mean that you don't support other issues or beliefs they have.

I love how people here throw around the "all or none" concept. Moderation isn't such a bad thing.
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • granted, however Pearl jam is against the war and some fans say "shut up" so I just simply reversed the example and put myself in their position as a fan of the parallel universe opposite PJ.

how about this. they wish eddie would shut up and I wish they would shut up and you wish I would shut up. :)

ha thats funny. its like rock paper sissor..