Options

pearl jammed out ..

josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,297
edited March 2008 in The Porch
for the time being i hope :( i haven't been able to listen to any pj for a while now i just don't ,no boots ,not studio cd's, been listening to KOL ,SILVERCHAIR,RADIOHEAD,WILCO ,and other artist, i guess after all the yrs of listening to only PJ has taken it's toll maybe when they release new studio material i can get that exciting feeling back ,anyone else go thru one of these spells ........or am i all alone i need company over here ...:(
jesus greets me looks just like me ....
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    for the time being i hope :( i haven't been able to listen to any pj for a while now i just don't ,no boots ,not studio cd's, been listening to KOL ,SILVERCHAIR,RADIOHEAD,WILCO ,and other artist, i guess after all the yrs of listening to only PJ has taken it's toll maybe when they release new studio material i can get that exciting feeling back ,anyone else go thru one of these spells ........or am i all alone i need company over here ...:(

You're definitely not alone. I personally think its a good thing to not always be heavy into Pearl Jam. I mean, they are obviously one of my favorite bands (probably top 3 - I'm not good at picking favorites) but there is so much music out there, so much good music, that its important I think to listen lots of other stuff. That way, you can come back and really appreciate PJ and go through huge binges again.

I think it would be weird to only listen to one band all the time. I can go for months without listening to them, and it doesn't diminish my love for PJ at all. I'm just grooving to something else for the time being, but PJ will always be there when I come back to it.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Options
    DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008

Exactly the same as me. Except replace KOL and Silverchair with The Mars Volta and Mr. Bungle.
  • Options
    BinFrogBinFrog MA Posts: 7,292
    I certainly go through PJ spells. You *have* to listen to other bands and mix it up or you will certainly get burnout. I like those lulls because you know that when you start digging back into PJ you'll have a renewed passion and it will seem exciting again.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    i only listen to pj and the peppers nothing else
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I don't listen to PJ very much thesedays, but they are still my favourite band. There are so many other great bands around to just listen to the same stuff all the time.

:)
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    does not compute

does not compute

does not compute

does not compute....

system error

(you're out of your fucking mind :D)
  • Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    sounds pretty normal to me. I still listen to them often, but I mix in many other artists as well.........been on a Ray Charles kick lately.
  • Options
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    i only listen to pj and the peppers nothing else

exact same here

ps- and i was the one about the Ranger's......they got a playoff spot locked up yet or what? not really into hockey but you said you were gonna keep it since they were playing well
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    pjten77pjten77 Posts: 225
    you can get burnt out on PJ.............it helps to take them off of your ipod for a week and just listen to the rest of your music on shuffle, as I have done a few times....then go back when you feel the need. A break will only make you appreciate them more.
    Toronto-96/Barrie-98/Pittsburgh-00/Toronto-00/Buffalo-03/Toronto-03/Kitchener-05/Toronto-05/Hamilton-05/Toronto I-06/Toronto 2-06/E.V. Toronto- 08/ Toronto- 09/Buffalo-10/Hamilton- 11/ London- 13/ Buffalo- 13/Detroit- 14/Ottawa-16/Toronto II-16/Fenway I & II- 16
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    not alone, i just started listening to them again, i completley burned myself out on the last tour!!! yeah, i watched imagine, and spun ITW a few times. but for the part, i figured, if the band has to take time off from each other and the music, it makes sense that i do to from time to time.
    this has been my longest break from PJ since the start of the band.
    guess what, it feels good, and the songs sound great to me now!!!
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143

i get like that too. that newest silverchair record is amazing. pop masterpiece.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    chiquimonkeychiquimonkey Posts: 9,337
    it makes sense, i'm sure if you give 'em a break, get into some other music, you'll get back into listening to them later with fresh ears :) i listen to a bunch of different bands in addition to PJ so i haven't gotten burnt out yet. i can OD on some artists though, i just move on to the next till me ears are ready!
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    i've got 20Gb worth of music on my hard drive and I am burnt out with it all.
    All i do is listen to music while on the computer at work and i cant find anything new that gives me the same energy as PJ.

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677

I only listen to Robert Goulet and the Dave Clark Five (with the occasional Captain and Tennille tune thrown in). Who are these Pearl Jams you speak of?!?
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Options
    yeah all i wan't to listen to these days is new music to peek my interest ......believe me i'm a pj freak ........
  • Options
    pjalive21pjalive21 St. Louis, MO Posts: 2,818
    i go thru spells like this myself...

sometimes you just have to put the music on the shelf in order to "miss it" and dust it back off and appreciate it again

kind of like when you get married, you love your wife, but sometimes you just need a guys night out and the strip club :)
  • Options
    mookie9999 wrote:
    I only listen to Robert Goulet and the Dave Clark Five (with the occasional Captain and Tennille tune thrown in). Who are these Pearl Jams you speak of?!?

id rather listen to the herman hermits & dianne worwick , "do you know the way to san jose" oh those classic tunes totally brings me back to my childhood...
  • Options
    pjalive21 wrote:
    i go thru spells like this myself...

sometimes you just have to put the music on the shelf in order to "miss it" and dust it back off and appreciate it again

kind of like when you get married, you love your wife, but sometimes you just need a guys night out and the strip club :)

or a night out with gov spitzer :D but yeah that is what i'm going thru at the moment just shelved all of my PJ music .....
  • Options
    pj0705pj0705 Posts: 189
    I go through the same things, thats why i alternate, 6 months nonstop Pearl Jam, and then 6 months nonstop Reo Speedwagon. Repeat.
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    it's good for harmony to listen other music, i know...
    for me listening pj is like waves, But recently i can see i'm in high tide...
    sure i have times when i don't want even to listem them.
    but no one another music can keep me for longer time being interested in it.
    That's why i always come back to pj.
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    I have been on a big 2003-2007 bootleg run lately, and now I am just going back and listening to the early stuff. reminds me of why I fell in love with them. Totally different style; a lot more hard and intense. I can sincerly feel the energy drip from Ed thru the headphones as I listen.

**And now with the possible tour news, I guess being "jammed out" is now out of the question, huh?** :D

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    AnnaMelindaAnnaMelinda Posts: 331

Truly don't even understand this post, Jose!!!!!!

For the love of god, get your shit together boy. :D
    sometimes life don't leave you alone
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=276344

Jose, I think me and you are floating in the same boat at present, although it is QOTSA, Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeah's and TV on the Radio for me, you're not alone my friend.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    yosi wrote:
    You're definitely not alone. I personally think its a good thing to not always be heavy into Pearl Jam. I mean, they are obviously one of my favorite bands (probably top 3 - I'm not good at picking favorites) but there is so much music out there, so much good music, that its important I think to listen lots of other stuff. That way, you can come back and really appreciate PJ and go through huge binges again.

I think it would be weird to only listen to one band all the time. I can go for months without listening to them, and it doesn't diminish my love for PJ at all. I'm just grooving to something else for the time being, but PJ will always be there when I come back to it.

Word!
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?
  • Options
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=276344

Jose, I think me and you are floating in the same boat at present, although it is QOTSA, Arcade Fire, Yeah Yeah Yeah's and TV on the Radio for me, you're not alone my friend.:)

Yepskis, I'm quoting myself forgot to mention NIN, been listening to a lot of Trent's work lately, Gave Up on the Beside You in Time blu ray, is particularly breathtaking, although the whole disc is spectacular.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going through the same thing. Drive-By Truckers, Tom Waits and The Afghan Whigs are filling the void nicely.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    yeah all i wan't to listen to these days is new music to peek my interest ......believe me i'm a pj freak ........
    Thats how I am. I'll play a new Pearl Jam album to death and then retire it only for a special occasion. I'll occasionally listen to a boot, so right now I'm craving new music from them.
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going through the same thing. Drive-By Truckers, Tom Waits and The Afghan Whigs are filling the void nicely.:)

DBT another band I missed of my list.:D
  • Options
    didn't realize there would be a bunch of folks who go thru the same things ,the upcoming announcement has me excited but i will contain it will see by this time next week i might be going nuts listening to all my boots ,still my favorite band of all time .......
  • Options
    gfrasergfraser Posts: 686
    im currently going through one of these spells myself. but they are by far still my favorite band by a long shot! i got burnt out of #8 a while ago and with no possibilities of going to a show anytime soon its left me in the drought. i will recover sooner then later though, always do : D
    This post is © by gfraser