The Big 5 College Basketball Thread

Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
edited February 2020 in All Encompassing Trip
It's almost that time. Philly college hoops starts in a couple weeks!

For those not from Philly, the big 5 consists of Temple, Villanova, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Penn. Looking forward to talking some hoops!

My boys, the Temple Owls, are 3-time defending A-10 Champs, but still looking for their first tourney win since 2001. Owls also won the Big 5 city series last year. D

Villanova had a disappointing 2nd round exit after a Final Four appearance in 2009.

LaSalle - not that bad, right?

Penn is horrible.

St. Joe's - well, the Hawk is on life support.

Can't wait to enjoy some hoops!
Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    The Hawk will never die, plus this is a building year, I know again, but they will be better next year for sure, this is a better class.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    marcos wrote:
    The Hawk will never die, plus this is a building year, I know again, but they will be better next year for sure, this is a better class.

I don't know... this rebuilding is taking longer than the Blue Route. :lol:

Honestly, I enjoy when St. Joe's has a good team - it's a good rivalry. I hope they come back soon.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    go Buckeyes. :mrgreen:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    I went to school in baltimore, so I don't have a Big 5 team I root for. I do love seeing Villanova and their d-bag students/alumni lose though. And Nova Nation is the gayest thing ever created. That $30K per year school isn't even in philadelphia.
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,052
    The latest Villanova import from the New York area - JayVaughn Pinkston is a beast. At least he in the few times I saw him in the Catholic League playoffs last year.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    My dad went to St. Joe's, but i always liked Nova and Temple.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
    Preseason AP pool: Villanova #6, Temple #22. This clearly means nothing.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/villanova/Nova_ranked_6th_Owls_22nd.html

• 8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    #4 :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Go Providence College
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    It's almost that time. Philly college hoops starts in a couple weeks!

For those not from Philly, the big 5 consists of Temple, Villanova, St. Joe's, LaSalle and Penn. Looking forward to talking some hoops!

My boys, the Temple Owls, are 3-time defending A-10 Champs, but still looking for their first tourney win since 2001. Owls also won the Big 5 city series last year. :D

Villanova had a disappointing 2nd round exit after a Final Four appearance in 2009.

LaSalle - not that bad, right?

Penn is horrible.

St. Joe's - well, the Hawk is on life support.

Can't wait to enjoy some hoops!

can't wait for the syracuse orange to SHUT DOWN 'nova once again.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    My boys, the Temple Owls, are 3-time defending A-10 Champs

Interesting...won the regular season once and the tournament 2 times...which is really the conference champion? You can't have 2 each year ;)
    hippiemom = goodness

Interesting...won the regular season once and the tournament 2 times...which is really the conference champion? You can't have 2 each year ;)

They won the tourney the last 3 years. Last year they also won the regular season, I believe.

Owls are looking good - primed for a deep run this year. :D

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,139

They won the tourney the last 3 years. Last year they also won the regular season, I believe.

Owls are looking good - primed for a deep run this year. :D

me and a bunch of friends are trying to get tickets to nova/temple. revenge is a dish best served cold, my friend. :mrgreen:

in all honesty, i wouldn't be surprised if temple won again. this nova team will eventually be better than last year. but i think they will need some time to jell. nova seems to be better off when they start off slow and build towards march. last year was just backwards.

i really don't like the #6 ranking. hope jay doesn't let it get into their heads...
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,171
    F Nova and every one of their fans. Think Jersey Shore cast with a few more brain cells and you have the typical Nova male student. basically duke without the test scores. Most arrogant fan base in the world. Even worse than Red Sox fans. Let's see how many Nova players get arrested/cited/suspended this year - 1 game 1 player so far. Nova becoming Uconn south? as much as i hate Nova I do think Jay Wright is darn good guy and great coach. For once someone at Nova seems to get it. Definitely a tourny team again but hopefully some mid-major spanks them again.

Temple - great squad this year. Allen is a beast -just imagine how good he could be if he tried to dominate. Dunph a great coach and great guy. Definitely expect them to win an NCAA game this year. Will be them and Xavier at the top of the A10 again, maybe Dayton jumping in there too.

St. Joe's - get your shots in on the Hawks now. Best freshman class they've ever had. will take some lumps with this group for sure but by end of the year should be ready for the turn around. No doubt if Phil can keep this freshman class together and healthy it will get them back in the tourny. Watch out for Langston Galloway and CJ Aiken down the line.

LaSalle - same old same old, every year we hear about how this is their turn-around year. we are still waiting. Aaric Murray very talented but kind of soft and likes to shoot 3s for a big guy.

Penn - their coach is their best player, enough said. Maybe they can make a run in the Ivies but i don't see it. and Denzel Washington's kid is no longer on the team. Palestra still awesome.
  • PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    I pretty much have family ties one way or another to all the Big 5 schools. Personally, I got my undergrad from LaSalle, and will be going to Temple for my MBA. Always would love to see La Salle succeed, but I'm a realist :lol:
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
    me and a bunch of friends are trying to get tickets to nova/temple. revenge is a dish best served cold, my friend. :mrgreen:

in all honesty, i wouldn't be surprised if temple won again. this nova team will eventually be better than last year. but i think they will need some time to jell. nova seems to be better off when they start off slow and build towards march. last year was just backwards.

i really don't like the #6 ranking. hope jay doesn't let it get into their heads...

I think my Nova buddy has gotten me tixx, so I'll be there too. I'll be one of, like, 3 Owls fans. Let me know if you wanna meet up! It's tough to win in the DuPont.
    pjhawks wrote:
    St. Joe's - get your shots in on the Hawks now. Best freshman class they've ever had. will take some lumps with this group for sure but by end of the year should be ready for the turn around. No doubt if Phil can keep this freshman class together and healthy it will get them back in the tourny. Watch out for Langston Galloway and CJ Aiken down the line.

Honestly it's a lot more fun when St. Joe's is competitive, so I hope you're right. Those games last year were lame.

I think my Nova buddy has gotten me tixx, so I'll be there too. I'll be one of, like, 3 Owls fans. Let me know if you wanna meet up! It's tough to win in the DuPont.
    pjhawks wrote:

Honestly it's a lot more fun when St. Joe's is competitive, so I hope you're right. Those games last year were lame.

not sure what games you are talking about were lame but the St. Joe's-Nova and St. Joe's-Temple games at the Palestra last year both went down to the wire. Temple game went into OT - don't you remember Ramone Moore's mad dash in like 4 seconds to tie the game at the end?
    pjhawks wrote:
    not sure what games you are talking about were lame but the St. Joe's-Nova and St. Joe's-Temple games at the Palestra last year both went down to the wire. Temple game went into OT - don't you remember Ramone Moore's mad dash in like 4 seconds to tie the game at the end?

Yep, you're right. I remember it. The Apollo game was a beatdown, I'm pretty sure.

Gimme a break, I got a 6-week old. ;)

pjhawks wrote:

Yep, you're right. I remember it. The Apollo game was a beatdown, I'm pretty sure.

is it still called the Apollo? and yes that game was a thrashing. ill give you a pass this time because of the 6 week old but i call you can't use that excuse again until after new years. :D
    pjhawks wrote:
    pjhawks wrote:

is it still called the Apollo? and yes that game was a thrashing. ill give you a pass this time because of the 6 week old but i call you can't use that excuse again until after new years. :D

no. liacourse center. i think johnny is just being old school like me. he called the pavillion "the dupont" earlier. i thought i was the only one who still called it that!

see you there johnny-- go nova!
    chinese-happy.jpg
    pjhawks wrote:

no. liacourse center. i think johnny is just being old school like me. he called the pavillion "the dupont" earlier. i thought i was the only one who still called it that!

You got it Jeags. I'm stubborn. Calling it the DuPont is kind of making fun of Nova too, since they were so ashamed of being associated with that guy. And I thought it was cool to call Temple's place the Apollo, kind of playing off the "being in the ghetto" thing and all. Shame they changed it.

I'm using that excuse until the New Years, actually. 8-)

pjhawks wrote:

You got it Jeags. I'm stubborn. Calling it the DuPont is kind of making fun of Nova too, since they were so ashamed of being associated with that guy. And I thought it was cool to call Temple's place the Apollo, kind of playing off the "being in the ghetto" thing and all. Shame they changed it.

I'm using that excuse until the New Years, actually. 8-)

always kinda thought "the apollo" was a dumb name to begin with.

can't really blame nova for being ashamed of being associated with a perverted murdurer though, ya know? :lol:
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Enough about the names of arenas.

Nice win for the Cats over St. Lucy's School for the Blind last night. :lol: Managed to pull away in the 2nd half.

Enough about the names of arenas.

Nice win for the Cats over St. Lucy's School for the Blind last night. :lol: Managed to pull away in the 2nd half.

opening rounds of the nit. they didn't choose those teams. they'll be at the garden next week. :mrgreen:
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • booomm11booomm11 Posts: 865
    Roman Catholic representing
    being so KiND.. tO LEt me RiDe!!!
    Holy War tonight
    booomm11 wrote:
    Holy War tonight

Let's go... eh I don't care. It'd be pretty shocking if Nova doesn't blow them out.

Mediocre start for the Owls. Big game at Maryland Sunday.

booomm11 wrote:
    Holy War tonight

fnova. hope we can pull off a miracle but don't see it happening. but really fnova.
    :lol: I support the Philly kid that's all
    booomm11 wrote:
    Holy War tonight

Let's go... eh I don't care. It'd be pretty shocking if Nova doesn't blow them out.

Mediocre start for the Owls. Big game at Maryland Sunday.

the war is over and so is the hawk.

your squad better start putting the ball in the basket dude...
    chinese-happy.jpg