Options

Ed on Jack Johnson in Rolling Stone

wma11wma11 Posts: 790
edited February 2008 in The Porch
Eddie Vedder on Jack Johnson: “I met his dad first through different waterman activities. I think it was a while before I met Jack. I think Kelly Slater had given me his first record. I was in the islands at the time, and that went great. It was a great record to listen to in nature. There was a point about two or three years ago when I was with Ben Harper. I said, ‘Okay, Ben, how about you and me chip in and get Jack a distortion pedal?’ And we had a little bit of a laugh, you know? But I thought about that a lot, and that was my fault that I wasn’t getting it. What he’s doing is real. As opposed to him getting a distortion box or opposed to him trying to be something else, it’s real. There are so many positive things that you get from listening to his records or seeing him live. I didn’t get it for a long time, but now I get it.

“We were on an ill-fated canoe trip. We were sailing, and we flipped over in a channel. That was quite the little adventure. But we survived that. But, it got kind of life-threatening for a bit. The coolest thing about it was that we were floating in the water – big ocean swells, lot of wind – and we’re bobbing along out there and the mast is pointed straight towards the bottom of the ocean. I didn’t know if we were going be able to upright the deal. And I looked over at Jack and thought, ‘Well, I’m in the water with Jack Johnson, so I was gonna be okay.’ And it turned out he looked over at me and I had a smile on my face, so it made him feel like we were gonna be okay, too. So it’s interesting how you can give each other confidence even though the situation is a bit dire.

“You can go down the list of great artists and kind of understand that the are products of their environment. Whether it’s U2 or Henry Rollins or myself or Johnny Lydon, they’re gonna be products of their environment. Seeing Jack, and seeing the other Hawaiian musicians that he plays with and supports, you witness the connection of the music that he makes and how he grew up. It’s his connection with the planet, his connection with nature, his connection with the ocean, his connection with family, and it all comes through in the music. That atmosphere is real. It’s not like he’s fighting demons, and it’s not an act he puts on.”
I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Thats why i like Ed and Pearl Jam.....

the spiritual nature of them and their music.....its real.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Options
    -1 for Ed.

Jack Johnson blows.
  • Options
    very good, good vibes.
    s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    -1 for Ed.

Jack Johnson blows.

you cant be serious! Jack Johnson is great, just a bit mellow. but great all the same.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    wma11 wrote:
    Eddie Vedder on Jack Johnson: “I met his dad first through different waterman activities. I think it was a while before I met Jack. I think Kelly Slater had given me his first record. I was in the islands at the time, and that went great. It was a great record to listen to in nature. There was a point about two or three years ago when I was with Ben Harper. I said, ‘Okay, Ben, how about you and me chip in and get Jack a distortion pedal?’ And we had a little bit of a laugh, you know? But I thought about that a lot, and that was my fault that I wasn’t getting it. What he’s doing is real. As opposed to him getting a distortion box or opposed to him trying to be something else, it’s real. There are so many positive things that you get from listening to his records or seeing him live. I didn’t get it for a long time, but now I get it.

“We were on an ill-fated canoe trip. We were sailing, and we flipped over in a channel. That was quite the little adventure. But we survived that. But, it got kind of life-threatening for a bit. The coolest thing about it was that we were floating in the water – big ocean swells, lot of wind – and we’re bobbing along out there and the mast is pointed straight towards the bottom of the ocean. I didn’t know if we were going be able to upright the deal. And I looked over at Jack and thought, ‘Well, I’m in the water with Jack Johnson, so I was gonna be okay.’ And it turned out he looked over at me and I had a smile on my face, so it made him feel like we were gonna be okay, too. So it’s interesting how you can give each other confidence even though the situation is a bit dire.

“You can go down the list of great artists and kind of understand that the are products of their environment. Whether it’s U2 or Henry Rollins or myself or Johnny Lydon, they’re gonna be products of their environment. Seeing Jack, and seeing the other Hawaiian musicians that he plays with and supports, you witness the connection of the music that he makes and how he grew up. It’s his connection with the planet, his connection with nature, his connection with the ocean, his connection with family, and it all comes through in the music. That atmosphere is real. It’s not like he’s fighting demons, and it’s not an act he puts on.”

Which Rolling Stone is this from?

I heard the story about being in the ocean a little different.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    krzzzymary wrote:
    Which Rolling Stone is this from?

I heard the story about being in the ocean a little different.

Its the online edition, I believe it came out today, but he's talking about that fateful day on Oahu...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • Options
    wma11 wrote:
    Its the online edition, I believe it came out today, but he's talking about that fateful day on Oahu...

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/

hhmmm
    there was another time .... with Jack Johnson's Dad and another guy and two other girls that they flipped in the chanel between molokai and maui.
    years back
    totally scary story
    "You can bomb the world to pieces but you can't bomb into peace"
    Michael Franti
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    cool
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    thanks for putting that up. :)

jack johnson rocks!! :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    -1 for Ed.

Jack Johnson blows.

i can't help but to agree!
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    -1 for Ed.

Jack Johnson blows.

i agree on this I can not believe that he found something to like in Mr. Bubble lips' music.......

the man might be cool by the music well you said it.... blows
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    Thats why i like Ed and Pearl Jam.....

the spiritual nature of them and their music.....its real.....

well said.
    The Official Matt Cameron appreciation signature!