Options

Strangest Place I have ever heard PJ

VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
edited December 2007 in The Porch
So the other night I was at my local Shoppers Drug Mart picking up some meds for my sick little girl. I think it was close to midnight and I probably was the only customer in the store. I'm walking around the store humming to White Christmas playing overhead.
My mind drifts a bit but comes back to the sweet sounds of "Let Me Sleep" being played for my ears. It totally caught me off guard and I just blurted out "holy fuck" getting strange looks from the cashier.
"it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Alive was playing over at the Shady Acres nursing center last summer.
    the Minions
  • Options
    That's funny. My friends and i always says that's how you know you're old...when you can sing along with the music they play in Shoppers Drug Mary. :D
  • Options
    My husband and I were at an Applebee's or Bennigans (whatever, they are all the same) in Madison, WI after a horse show (Sept. 06). I heard the beginning of "Army Reserve" which distracted me from the extensive wine list ;) and I exclaimed "hey, that is Pearl Jam!" to which my husband replied "hmph, great." :cool:

"Army Reserve" is not one of my favorite songs from the Avocado but I found it interesting to hear it in a chain-restaurant.
    "you shall be released" ~ EV
  • Options
    I was in Rome, Italy for spring break last year and the first night we go out and at the first bar we walk into (i think it was called the sunkin ship or drunkin ship something like that) Evolution is being played. We knew it was gonna be a good trip after that. By far the weirdest place Ive heard Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 California Posts: 594
    I heard I Am Mine in a small gym in Barstow once. Quite surprising.
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • Options
    ViggoViggo Posts: 274
    He is a rockstar with no money? What is his name? Kim Rock?
    It's okay, It's okay
    You don't have to run and hide away
    It's okay, it's okay
    I love you anyway
    2007: Pearl Jam concert in Düsseldorf (21. June)
    2007: Chris Cornell concert in Kristiansand (2. July)
    2007: The Who concert in Kristiansand (4. July)
  • Options
    Let Me Sleep and Army Reserve are both odd songs to hear over any public radio system.

so that's cool :)
    everybody wants the most they can possibly get
    for the least they could possibly do
  • Options
    glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    this one time i heard pj on the radio. i still can' believe it.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Options
    We were incredibly hungover one Sunday afternoon. We went to a favourite Thai restaurant in Dublin to recuperate with fishcakes. Heard Throw Your Arms Around Me. Got talking to the Australian waitress by the MP3 PA system. She was a fan of Pearl Jam and MMJ. Excellent. This was just before the Wembley show, so I made her jealous.

Also Light Years came on local radio on Sunday night whilst I was making dinner and it really sorted me out. Thought it was a great choice for the radio.

Thought I'd share. Seems to be a large Pearl Jam contingent in Dublin, which is great.
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    I was at a big supermarket chain (coles)and i heard you've got to hide ur love away.....
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    My friend was going to have her stickman tattoo done in an awesome tattoo place in Birmingham. As we walked through the doors Jeremy came on over the sound system....
    I still don't know if it was by design or accident but we both just stared at each other in shock. It was so weird. I think it was their taste in music 'cos while we were there they played half a dozen PJ songs, but to walk through the doors to the first notes of Jeremy was SO strange.
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • Options
    magdylmagdyl Posts: 86
    I heard black last summer in Biograd (Croatia) in a typical tourist cafe at the promenade pier...
  • Options
    BeavBeav Posts: 223

Now that's funny
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • Options
    Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I once heard Come Back playing in a Spanish Restaurant when I was out with work before. It was followed bt Africa by Toto to which everyone sang along. It hink I started a thread about it at the time :p
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    I heard Immortality once as I walked by a shop (and then stood outside and listened). Then about an hour later I was walking by another shop in another part of Dublin and heard it again, at the exact same point in the song. It was a bit weird.

Aside from pubs, those are the only two times I've heard PJ in a shop.
    Hey hey it's okay...
  • Options
    smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    mtv
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Options
    NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    the back of an undercover police car as i was getting arrested

oh nothingman ,,ill never forget that

and i was singining BURN BURN LOUD LOL
  • Options
    yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I heard Against the 70's at a Dallas Stars hockey game once
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • Options
    i was in safeway late at night a few years ago, and in between the lite rock "lady in red" type crap, they played leaving here!! i freaked out!
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I would have to go with hearing Yellow Ledbetter in a Walmart at about 1 in the morning. Had the "Holy shit" moment myself.
  • Options
    Earlier this year, i was in Copenhagen with friends because we were going to see PJ play. Anyway, the day before the show we were in the city and in a clothes shop, and all of a sudden 'Let Me Sleep' started playing We all stopped and smiled at each other and then just sang along.

I guess it makes sense that they were playing PJ seeing as the band were in town, but such a random song choice!
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• Options
    i have gone into a Papa Murphys pizza twice and they have had pj cranked.
    Walk Tall, Kick Ass, Learn to Speak Arabic, Love Music, and Never Forget You Come From a Long Line of Truth Seekers, Lovers, and Warriors. HST

CHILLIN LIKE BOB DYLAN!!!
  • Options
    they put the radio on in my school during gym and i heard In My Tree. dont know what station it was. im pissed. i never found out.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    pjfan31 wrote:
    I was at a big supermarket chain (coles)and i heard you've got to hide ur love away.....
    My friend heard Betterman in Coles and messaged me cause she was so shocked/excited. I think she may have danced in the isles.
  • Options
    i heard oceans in a ladies shoe store... :eek:
    wah
  • Options
    nkobiknkobik Posts: 55
    i was diving the other day in the great barrier riff, australia, when i suddenly saw a big fish singing "man of the hour".

i stopped drinking that day.
  • Options
    gorenegorene Posts: 26
    It's not exaclty relevant but I was swimming at Miami Beach one summer and suddenly everyone ran out of the water screaming: SHARK.

turned out to be Stone Gossard backstrocking with only his nose peeping out of the water.

I often think about that summer, and though I still do not know the answer to "Who'se got the brain of JFK" , I learned who got the nose of JAWS.
  • Options

Just classic.
  • Options
    We'll... I lost a friend last weekend to a heart condition. It was pretty sudden. So after the services last week a bunch of my friends met back at our college. We went to our local watering hole and drank for about 8 hours. WE had a snow storm so the cabs stopped running. At last call I had to walk 2 miles home.

here's where the PJ kicks in....

My friend and I stumble into an Irish pub that was open an extra hour. When we get there they are playing only irish music.... then in my drunken stupper I here the intro to "U"... I thought it was in my head. Then it dawned on my to look around and find the people rocking out to the song. It was cool to hear and meet pearl jam fans, especially when having a somber evening.
    07-02-98, 10-11-00, 04-22-03, 04-23-03, 06-09-03, 06-10-03, 06-18-03, 06-21-03, 06-22-03, 10-02-04, 10-03-04, 10-05-04, 05-16-06, 05-17-06, 05-22-06, 06-24-06, 06-29-06