Options

Who chose Hard Sun for Into the Wild?

vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Whether it was a song Ed always wanted to do or if it was a song that Sean Penn always wanted Ed to do, the choice was brilliant!

The song made me cry back in 1989 and sometimes it still does today..if my husband and I ever had an "our song" it would be that one (it was a huge hit when we first met..)....

Anyway, I was just wondering who's choice it was to cover it. I like to think it was Ed...
be philanthropic
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    lukin
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    I love the song myself (2nd favorite on the album) and point it out every time it is on the radio, and usually follow it with a tidbit of useless Pearl Jam or Eddie Vedder information. The one guy that I work with that was into music when the original came out says he couldn't stand it then and still can't stand it. It's funny how you hear different stories and memories about songs that are covered.
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Options
    LikeAnOceanLikeAnOcean Posts: 7,718
    Best song on the album.. next to No Ceiling and Society.
  • Options
    I sort of write it off as a Vedder cover song, which it really is, so when I think about ITW songs I try to disclude 'Hard Sun'. The cover though, is really damn good, and it honestly is probably the best song on ITW. However 'Far Behind' is a VERY close second :D
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    There's an ad for a radio station in Vancouver that has people singing songs they like to hear on that station...and at the end they have a guy singing VERY BADLY "Hard Sun". He doesn't even know the lyrics...

Anyway...I can't get enough of this song...heard it in Maui when we were driving to a beach - me and my hubby -- and awwwww...he just smiled and laughed at me...

But yeah, I'd still like to know how it made it onto Into the Wild. Do you think Ed already had this song in the can and thought "Ahhhhh, this would be perfect for that film!"
    be philanthropic