Options

Flaming Lips in concert

he.who.forgetshe.who.forgets Posts: 4,593
edited October 2010 in Other Music
So I'm a fan of what I've heard but am just not that familiar with all their music as I know they've had a ton of releases - I only own Yoshimi. They are playing close by this Friday and I'm pretty sure I'm going as I've heard they are just simply a can't-miss-show. Should I plan to get "impaired"?
We were but stones your light made us stars
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    You can plan to get impaired. But, the show on its own is definitely sensory overload (in a good way) so too much impairment could make for a bad experience at your first show.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Personally, I don't think it's a show where you necessarily need to know their full catalogue. I checked out a couple albums before the show I went to in July and I had an absolute blast! Lots of crazy antics and theatrical shit that makes for an extremely entertaining evening. I'd argue that it's less about the music with Flaming Lips than the atmosphere of the show itself. You MUST see them live if you have the chance!
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    Man what a FUN show. Wayne has to have more fun up on stage than anyone I've ever seen.
    We were but stones your light made us stars
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i saw them at the who rock honors concert and thought they were horrible covering the who
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    metsfan wrote:
    i saw them at the who rock honors concert and thought they were horrible covering the who

Flaming lips have never been about skills
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    metsfan wrote:

Flaming lips have never been about skills
    ehhh i didn't say anything bout skills. some bands can cover the who and the flaming lips are not one of those bands. not taking anything away from them at all.
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    i was in St. Augustine friday night and i had a great time... they really know how to have a good time.. the guy who posted this said he only had yoshimi.. i highly sugest getting some of their earlier albums with Ronald Jones.. like Satellite Transmission, Future Head, Clouds Taste Metallic, Priest Driven Ambulance.. such great albums.
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    I don't think Roland was around for Priest Driven Ambulance, although it's a great album. As are the Roland years, Clouds Taste Metallic in particular.

Speaking of which, I found these videos from the lips in '96 on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGvtTDu3 ... re=related
    (lighting strikes the postman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOOG9sa0 ... re=related
    (unconsciously screaming)

Absolutely amazing stage setup. One thing about the lips, is that they've always been about the performance, very much a DIY show in that respect. The biography, Staring at the Sound that came out a few years ago is well worth a read.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    i stand corrected! it was Donahue that was the guitarist at the time of Priest Ambulance! :mrgreen: