Afghan Whigs et al....

cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
edited December 2010 in Other Music
Twilight Singers, Gutter Twins, Greg Dulli solo....etc

Anybody into them? Favorites?

The Afghan Whigs were the first band I really developed a band crush on, so to speak. I bought everything, traded every bootleg I could find, went to tons of shows, etc. Then of course, they broke up. Sad times, indeed.

Luckily, Greg Dulli can't sit still for 5 minutes without putting out an album with someone, so, hooray for me. I still listen to the Afghan Whigs stuff nearly as much as the Pearl Jam stuff I have. Recently, though, the Gutter Twins albums have been in heavy rotation on my ipod. Mark Lanegan+Greg Dulli? Yes, please, I'll take two.

I also came to know Shawn Smith, Brad, Satchel, Pigeonhed, etc. from the first iteration of the Twilight Singers, so that was a handy bonus.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pretextpretext Posts: 1,294
    I think there are a lot of Dulli fans around here. Gentlemen remains one of my favorite albums ever. I would love to see him live, in any incarnation.
  • cdp1223cdp1223 Posts: 1,131
    Dulli is amazing live. When I saw the Twilight Singers in NYC a few years ago, I miraculously happened to be front and center and he shared a bottle of champagne and some cigarettes with me and a few other ladies in the front during a rendition of "Time of the Season" by the Zombies. Did I probably get some sort of disease? Yes. Was it worth it? Oh yeah.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I prefer the Twilight Singers to Afghan Whigs, but Dulli in general is amazing. I love the Gutter Twins too. Sadly, it's tough to track down Shawn Smith's material.
    I prefer the Twilight Singers to Afghan Whigs, but Dulli in general is amazing. I love the Gutter Twins too. Sadly, it's tough to track down Shawn Smith's material.

I have a good bit of Shawn Smith stuff, albeit on cassette (like half of my music collection). Did you get to see him with the Twilight Singers by chance?
  • The Whigs cover of
    Elvis' True Love Travels on a Gravel Road
    and
    Freda Payne's Band of Gold

are both amazing.

my 2 cents.
    :D
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484
    I'm a huge Dulli fan. I used to say I prefer the Whigs over the TS but I don't know anymore. Hard to say. I think I listened to The Lure Would Prove Too Much for hours the other day.
    The Whigs cover of
    Elvis' True Love Travels on a Gravel Road
    and
    Freda Payne's Band of Gold

are both amazing.

my 2 cents.
    :D

My go-to CD that I burn for a friend in need of musical intervention is a random assortment of Dulli, Whigs, TS, and GT covers (their version of St. James Infirmary is beyond great). Always seems to go over well.
  • I'm a huge Twilight and Gutter Twins fan! I also like Afghan Whigs, but really only half their catalog. Sooooo solid live!!!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

(Shawn Smith's official website, but not Thee Shawn Smith)
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    I love the Afghan Whigs a lot actually....

I bought "Up in It" at a flea market back in the early 90's and got hooked pretty quickly... The funny thing is I hadn't heard them at all before, just heard of them in passing and decided why not for a buck or two.

I actually remember getting 4 albums that day.

Screaming Trees - Uncle Anesthesia
    Melvins - Houdini
    Afghan Whigs - Up in It
    Buckethead - Colma

All 4 of those albums are still favorites of mine today... I bought the Buckethead album because the name sounded cool... I had no idea what to expect... I listen to Colma before bed at least once a week if not more... it's amazing.

I can still remember hearing Retarded for the first time after I got that album and absolutely loving it.
    I'm a huge Twilight and Gutter Twins fan! I also like Afghan Whigs, but really only half their catalog. Sooooo solid live!!!

Same for me... their last album, which was basically a segue into the Twilight Singers, is great, and Gentlemen is awesome. But their punkish, garage rock stuff is less interesting to me. I have Gentlemen and 1965, and then just a mix of the rest. I have all the Twilight Singers stuff though :)
    cdp1223 wrote:

I have a good bit of Shawn Smith stuff, albeit on cassette (like half of my music collection). Did you get to see him with the Twilight Singers by chance?

Nope, I've never seen Shawn Smith or any Dulli project live. I only got into them this past fall, right after missing the Gutter Twins set at Lollapalooza. Still kicking myself for that one.
  • I'm a huge Twilight and Gutter Twins fan! I also like Afghan Whigs, but really only half their catalog. Sooooo solid live!!!

Same for me... their last album, which was basically a segue into the Twilight Singers, is great, and Gentlemen is awesome. But their punkish, garage rock stuff is less interesting to me. I have Gentlemen and 1965, and then just a mix of the rest. I have all the Twilight Singers stuff though :)

I'm with you 100% on that! The original Twilight demos were cut in 1997, which fell smack in between Black Love and 1965, which to me are the finest Whigs records. There are only a handful of Whigs songs from before Black Love that I can really get into. But from that point forward, everything Dulli touched has been golden!
    <a href="http://www.shawnsmithsinger.com">Shawn Smith</a> / <a href="http://www.thebandbrad.com">Brad</a&gt; / <a href="http://www.allhailthecrown.com">All Hail the Crown</a> / <a href="http://www.satchelpartnership.com">Satchel</a&gt;

• My favourite Dulli album has to be '1965'. What a fabulous record. He doesn't appear to be playing anything off it on this solo tour, though.
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.
  • I'm a big Lanegan fan but I never really got into the Afghan Whigs. The Gutter Twins totally floored me, so I tried listening to the Whigs and I just kept thinking, "I miss Mark..."
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 7,958
    cdp1223 wrote:

The Afghan Whigs were the first band I really developed a band crush on, so to speak. I bought everything, traded every bootleg I could find, went to tons of shows, etc. Then of course, they broke up. Sad times, indeed.

Luckily, Greg Dulli can't sit still for 5 minutes without putting out an album with someone, so, hooray for me. I still listen to the Afghan Whigs stuff nearly as much as the Pearl Jam stuff I have. Recently, though, the Gutter Twins albums have been in heavy rotation on my ipod. Mark Lanegan+Greg Dulli? Yes, please, I'll take two.

I also came to know Shawn Smith, Brad, Satchel, Pigeonhed, etc. from the first iteration of the Twilight Singers, so that was a handy bonus.

Hey! You going to any of the Dulli shows? Saw the setlist from night one in NOLA...it will blow your mind.
  • There ought to be a whole lot more love for Black Love in this thread - AMAZING record, wall to wall quality songs, pretty much every song has an amazing chorus. Definitely in my top five. Powder Burns by the Twilight Singers isn't far behind it.
  • skippybrew wrote:
    I'm a big Lanegan fan but I never really got into the Afghan Whigs. The Gutter Twins totally floored me, so I tried listening to the Whigs and I just kept thinking, "I miss Mark..."

In that case, you'd really want to turn your attention to Twilight Singers records (specifically the "Blackberry Belle" album and the "A Stitch in Time" EP to hear some Lanegan and the foundation of Gutter Twins) and then work your way back through Afghan Whigs' "1965" and "Black Love," as well as Twilight's "Powder Burns."

• skippybrew wrote:
    I'm a big Lanegan fan but I never really got into the Afghan Whigs. The Gutter Twins totally floored me, so I tried listening to the Whigs and I just kept thinking, "I miss Mark..."

In that case, you'd really want to turn your attention to Twilight Singers records (specifically the "Blackberry Belle" album and the "A Stitch in Time" EP to hear some Lanegan and the foundation of Gutter Twins) and then work your way back through Afghan Whigs' "1965" and "Black Love," as well as Twilight's "Powder Burns."

Good tip. I'll do that. :D
    pjl44 wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Hey! You going to any of the Dulli shows? Saw the setlist from night one in NOLA...it will blow your mind.
    Sorry, just saw this. YES! I went to see Dulli at Brillobox in Pittsburgh about 2 weeks ago. Stood about 2 feet in front of him. It was an amazing show, great setlist, but the crowd was sort of douchey so he got a bit cranky once or twice. Is it wrong that I don't like Dulli's stage presence quite as much now that he's sober? :lol:
  • solace23solace23 Posts: 704
    Greg dulli and lanegan is one of my favourite gigs. Saw them at union chapel in London
  • When I was 12 or 13 I bought a copy of Up In It at a flea market and I instantly fell in love with them. I think the opening track of that album, Retarded, is probably my favorite since it's probably the song that got me hooked.
  • Here is a recording of "Crazy" from Spring and Airbrake in Belfast. (I recorded both Dublin and Belfast shows).
    Sony ECM 717 stereo mics-->Edirol R09HR at 16b/44.1khz-->CD Wave-->WAV/320kbps mp3.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OCINSRVN
    My Pearl Jam shows: 1 in 1995, 2 in 1998, 20 in 2003, 13 in 2006, 3 in 2007, 8 in 2008, 5 in 2009, 4 in 2010, 5 in 2012. EV: 8 in 2011, 1 in 2012. Brad: 1 in 1998, 1 in 2002.

• Ha, much more awesome, cheers :mrgreen:
    cdp1223 wrote:
    pjl44 wrote:
    cdp1223 wrote:

Sorry, just saw this. YES! I went to see Dulli at Brillobox in Pittsburgh about 2 weeks ago. Stood about 2 feet in front of him. It was an amazing show, great setlist, but the crowd was sort of douchey so he got a bit cranky once or twice. Is it wrong that I don't like Dulli's stage presence quite as much now that he's sober? :lol:

Excellent! Went to the Cambridge show and it was outstanding. Similar experience...we were in the front row. Our crowd was way tame...I was hoping for some sing alongs, but everyone just sorta kicked back and took it in. He only had to yell at one guy...the dude was in the front row and checking his email during one of the songs. You can imagine how that went.
  • pjl44 wrote:
    He only had to yell at one guy...the dude was in the front row and checking his email during one of the songs. You can imagine how that went.
    He a prickly fucker, isn't he? :D
    Does anyone know where I can hear On The Corner? New Twilight Singers tune that Denis Leary played on a guest radio show last night. I missed the show and have been scouring the internet for it.
    pjl44 wrote:
    Does anyone know where I can hear On The Corner? New Twilight Singers tune that Denis Leary played on a guest radio show last night. I missed the show and have been scouring the internet for it.

Look at me answering my own question. It starts at 10:30:
    http://www2.1077theend.com/listen/whats-next-121910