So... Telephantasm

eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
edited October 2010 in Other Music
I think if SG is really trying to appeal to the kids (with the whole guitar hero angle and all) then they may have shot themselves in the foot with this release. In fact, I don't really see this satisfying old SG fans or new ones. It isn't different enough from A-side for the old school fan, and it has too much low budget, bad production tracks from early in their career, especially up front in the disks to appeal to a newer generation. I mean, if you had never heard SG, but picked this up and the 1st track you heard was that even crappier version of All Your Lies compared to the already poorly produced/mixed version found on UM-OK, what would you think?

I don't know. I was excited to pick up an SG release after 14 years or so... but then played it and was like ho-hum, or like, why in god's name include that crappy sounding track?

Thoughts?
Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Agree, I was excited when I heard about it, but when I looked at it I grew very bored, so I haven't even purchased it yet and I love Soundgarden. Is the DVD thing even cool though I could care less about videos unless it's all live stuff.
  • eyedclaar wrote:
    I mean, if you had never heard SG, but picked this up and the 1st track you heard was that even crappier version of All Your Lies compared to the already poorly produced/mixed version found on UM-OK, what would you think?

I like this version of All Your Lies better than the Ultramega version.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Not worth the buy in your opinion, guys? This is helping me because I was going to buy it tonight...
    Bristow, VA (5/13/10)
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    you know what? i was really psyched to buy the vinyl....and curious about the DVD. but i have all of their albums already, so i think i'll pass.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    mfc2006 wrote:
    you know what? i was really psyched to buy the vinyl....and curious about the DVD. but i have all of their albums already, so i think i'll pass.

That was my decision too. I felt it wasn't worth the money considering I have all their albums, a lot of rare stuff, and live bootlegs.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    I wouldn't buy it again... if only I could go back in time 24 hours. There is an article written by Kim on the inside cover where he still talks about a couple other collections to be released, both the B-sides and then one of covers or something.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,354
    Not worth the buy in your opinion, guys? This is helping me because I was going to buy it tonight...

I don't think the Super Deluxe is worth the buy. I bought the 2CD/1DVD for $14. I don't feel gypped, but like others have said, there isn't a lot of content here. With the B-Sides collection and some possible live stuff on the way....
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I've got A sides and black rain so I think I'll pass. Doesn't seem to be much difference other than the unreleased black rain which was a b side anyway.
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • I bought the 2CD/1DVD for $14 as well. I figured I was paying that money for the DVD, something to add to my shelf, and Black Rain. I'm not a digital music guy.

I had it shipped to work and the shipping status says to expect it on Saturday. D'oh!
    AskPearlJam: PearlJama101-guest says: Who's idea was it for Eddie to play banjo on "Soon Forget"?
    Eddie: I don't know whose idea it was but it was turned down.
  • i can't find any of their stuff on vinyl so i was thinkin about picking it up. could care less about having an mp3 or cd version. They should've just put out a b sides or worked on a new ep. that's just me tho.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,322
    I'm copying all this on here just to make the discussion easier:

CD1
    1. "All Your Lies (Deep Six Version)"
    2. "Hunted Down"
    3. "Fopp"
    4. "Beyond the Wheel"
    5. "Flower (BBC Session)"
    6. "Hands All Over"
    7. "Big Dumb Sex"
    8. "Get on the Snake (Live)"
    9. "Room a Thousand Years Wide (Single Version)"
    10. "Rusty Cage"
    11. "Outshined"
    12. "Slaves & Bulldozers"

CD2
    1. "Jesus Christ Pose (Live)"
    2. "Birth Ritual"
    3. "My Wave"
    4. "Superunknown"
    5. "Spoonman"
    6. "Black Hole Sun"
    7. "Fell on Black Days (Video Version)"
    8. "Burden in My Hand"
    9. "Dusty"
    10. "Pretty Noose (Live on SNL)"
    11. "Blow Up the Outside World (MTV Live 'N' Loud)"
    12. "Black Rain"
    13. "The Telephantasm (iTunes full album download only)"

I appreciate the fact that they put alternate versions of many songs on here... makes it worthwhile to the fan who already has all the studio albums, while introducing new fans to a decent representation of their work. I haven't heard any of these alternate versions yet, so I can't judge their quality, but I know I would forgive a shitty recording/mix on the first track if I knew it was done early in the career, back in the 80's when they helped developed the Seattle sound and aesthetic.
  • pjfan021 wrote:
    i can't find any of their stuff on vinyl so i was thinkin about picking it up. could care less about having an mp3 or cd version. They should've just put out a b sides or worked on a new ep. that's just me tho.
    There's usually truckloads on ebay on any given day.... :shh:
    New Zealand,95 Auckland 1 & 2, 98 Auckland & Wellington,
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
    Auckland & Christchurch 2009
    Melbourne 1&2 EV Solo 2011
  • my comments are in your quote in red
    kenny olav wrote:

CD1
    1. "All Your Lies (Deep Six Version)" couldn't tell the difference
    2. "Hunted Down"
    3. "Fopp"
    4. "Beyond the Wheel"
    5. "Flower (BBC Session)" sounds just like studio
    6. "Hands All Over"
    7. "Big Dumb Sex"
    8. "Get on the Snake (Live)" garbage
    9. "Room a Thousand Years Wide (Single Version)" awesome
    10. "Rusty Cage"
    11. "Outshined"

CD2
    1. "Jesus Christ Pose (Live)" good
    2. "Birth Ritual"
    3. "My Wave"
    4. "Superunknown"
    5. "Spoonman"
    6. "Black Hole Sun"
    7. "Fell on Black Days (Video Version)" dig it
    8. "Burden in My Hand"
    9. "Dusty"
    10. "Pretty Noose (Live on SNL)" meh
    11. "Blow Up the Outside World (MTV Live 'N' Loud)" good
    12. "Black Rain"
    13. "The Telephantasm (iTunes full album download only)" want it!

I appreciate the fact that they put alternate versions of many songs on here... makes it worthwhile to the fan who already has all the studio albums, while introducing new fans to a decent representation of their work. I haven't heard any of these alternate versions yet, so I can't judge their quality, but I know I would forgive a shitty recording/mix on the first track if I knew it was done early in the career, back in the 80's when they helped developed the Seattle sound and aesthetic.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Interview with Kim with Rolling Stone Magazine. Check it out:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/51942/211637

Some very promising stuff. Apparantly, the B-sides album Thayil has been "threatening" us with, is still definitely in the pipeline. And he also says Soundgarden are definitely considering recording new music, which is especially good to hear since some people assumed they 're not too interested in that.

Some cool familiar and unfamiliar trivia about the songs on Telephantasm.

Haven't recieved my copy in the mail yet...used to waiting for ages :roll: .....apparently you get a bonus 7" purple vinyl Beyond The Wheel live at the showbox/Black Rain single with the super dooper mega extravagant box set.

And....the limited run of 5000 is no more as some fans have been receiving box sets with numbers over 5000?!.....apparently there was manufacturing issues where some product got "trashed" and instead of re-numbering they just kept going over 5000.... :shock:
    New Zealand,95 Auckland 1 & 2, 98 Auckland & Wellington,
    Canada, Vancouver 2000
    Auckland & Christchurch 2009
    Melbourne 1&2 EV Solo 2011
  • Paul David wrote:
    my comments are in your quote in red
    kenny olav wrote:

CD1
    1. "All Your Lies (Deep Six Version)" couldn't tell the difference
    2. "Hunted Down"
    3. "Fopp"
    4. "Beyond the Wheel"
    5. "Flower (BBC Session)" sounds just like studio
    6. "Hands All Over"
    7. "Big Dumb Sex"
    8. "Get on the Snake (Live)" garbage
    9. "Room a Thousand Years Wide (Single Version)" awesome
    10. "Rusty Cage"
    11. "Outshined"

CD2
    1. "Jesus Christ Pose (Live)" good
    2. "Birth Ritual"
    3. "My Wave"
    4. "Superunknown"
    5. "Spoonman"
    6. "Black Hole Sun"
    7. "Fell on Black Days (Video Version)" dig it
    8. "Burden in My Hand"
    9. "Dusty"
    10. "Pretty Noose (Live on SNL)" meh
    11. "Blow Up the Outside World (MTV Live 'N' Loud)" good
    12. "Black Rain"
    13. "The Telephantasm (iTunes full album download only)" want it!

How can't you tell the difference between this All My Lies and the old version. Re-listen to them.

That being said, if you already have all the albums, there's no reason to buy Telephantasm. I downloaded it just for Black Rain and the new All My Lies...which I freakin' love.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Grunge100Grunge100 Posts: 178
    I just got it, and I love it. Worth every penny.....

I had all of these songs before from SG B-sides and other sources. The recordings on Tele are really nice, something any SG fan should have :D

Cheers.
    Light green to green, dark green, brown..
    Every life is falling down
    Brown to black, it's coming back
    Dies to be part of the ground
    Seed to seedling, root to stem
  • I just got my iTunes bill for the 7 songs I bought. $9.03. I could have bought ALL the songs PLUS artwork PLUS the dvd for $5 more. I wish I had realized it at the time.

What a joke. Apple sucks.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,703
    Did I read their next album will be on Guitar Hero?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    WHY DOES ANYONE BUY DOWNLOADED MUSIC???

Why not just spend that money in the store when you get an actual physical copy..
  • because I didn't need the whole fandangled 2 disc version. I didn't realize at the time (I failed to do the math) that the 7 songs I was buying would net out to nearly the same as if I bought the physical copy. I don't buy full albums on iTunes, just singles and such not available on albums. Or, as in this case, greatest hits with a few unreleased tunes.
    Brisk. wrote:
    WHY DOES ANYONE BUY DOWNLOADED MUSIC???

Why not just spend that money in the store when you get an actual physical copy..
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Aaron 23Aaron 23 Allen, TX Posts: 523
    I picked up the vinyl, and I enjoy it. I also have a disposable income for these things (not rich, but single with no dependents, etc), so the $40 wasn't too big of a hit.

It is worth it to me, but I can see where it might cause people to hesitate when they have most of what is available already through other sources.

Extremely glad to have the video version of FOBD on vinyl, though. 8-)
  • I do like the that all of the videos are on DVD; that has been pretty cool to watch. I admit that it's nice to have "louder" (for lack of a better word) versions of Beyond the Wheel, Hunted Down, and All Your Lies, but I admit it would have been nice if they could have worked on the crappy low production mixing. The BBC version of Flower is awesome though--much better than the original, IMO. I'm still trying to figure out why they included Pretty Noose from SNL. The live versions of Get On The Snake and JCP didn't do a whole lot for me either.

I'm kind of indifferent about the whole thing simply because I'm a huge SG fan, but for the most part I have to agree that I was hoping for a little more. I'd say Black Rain (fucking awesome) and the videos are the best part of the release. My super deluxe copy contained two band pictures of Ben and left out the one of Kim--that pissed me off, bad QC mistake. I've been trying to overlook the whole Guitar Hero thing, mainly because I'm not a fan of those games.

Overall I have to say I'm looking more forward to better quality releases of live material and more UNRELEASED tunes/b-sides, like Black Rain. It would also be interesting to see them full around with remixed versions of their albums the way that PJ did with Ten, while still releasing remastered versions concurrently in case the remixes don't work out. Some tour dates would be great too! I sound like a greedy bastard, I know...
  • I got the vinyl because I don't have any other SG on vinyl...

Apparently the CD has some article by Kim? The vinyl has nothing by way of liner notes, so what else did I not get?

I do like this version of All Your Lies better but I think all the other versions are sub-album quality. I'm wishing I would have just gotten the CD package, if only for the DVD.

Also, it came with a coupon for a download of the album, but it doesn't even seem to working: "Not Found." WHAT GIVES?