Pearl Jam's album output...?

Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Things seem to be slowing down.....

Binaural to RA wasn't so bad.....but RA to Avocado seemed a long time......

Just wondered your views on this......

How much do you guys care about the albums now.....?

Just with recent various polls on here showing a disregard for most output post Yield, just wondered if people still cared......?

I guess in America it means more tours...but what about other countries, how do you feel...?

Discuss....................................
'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I'm pretty ok with the output. 2+ years between albums is fine with me, especially with the amount they tour. Also, Riot Act and Binaural are two of my favorite Pearl Jam albums, so, I'm ok with the direction they've gone in since Yield.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    yosi wrote:
    Riot Act and Binaural are two of my favorite Pearl Jam albums, so, I'm ok with the direction they've gone in since Yield.

Yeah, i think i agree with that....a little bit, RA is definatley top 3 for me.....

My top 3:

Yield
    Vitalogy
    Riot Act
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • Seems to be the trend these days with rock bands. There are plenty that are taking 2-3 years between albums. It's not like the 60's when the Beatles were cranking out 2 a year.

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come...."
  • jdub3001jdub3001 Posts: 194
    I would much rather wait a couple of years in between albums and get their best work, rather than the guys just crank out albums at a faster pace with sub-par track listings...
  • primussucksprimussucks Posts: 2,294
    I'm pretty certain we will have a new record before the end of the year, so 2 and a half years insn't too bad. I also recall Ed saying after Avocado that they won't ever spend that much time on a record ever again. It could be worse, you could be a U2 or Metallica fan and only get a new record every 4 years.
    Summerfest 7/8/95
    Missoula 6/20/98
    Alpine Valley 6/26/98 & 6/27/98
    Alpine Valley 10/8/00 
    Champaign 4/23/03
    Alpine Valley 6/21/03
    Missoula 8/29/05
    Chicago 5/16 & 17/06
    Grand Rapids 5/19/06
    Summerfest 6/29/06 & 6/30/06
    Tampa 6/12/08
    Chicago 8/23/09
    Indy 5/7/10
    Alpine Valley x2 2011
    Wrigley 2013
    Milwaukee 14
    Telluride 16
  • I've loved all of their albums except:

Binaural which has shitty production

Avocado which has shitty songs
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 522
    or a Tool fan...5+ years...
  • I love the last 3 albums. I think every 2.5 years is fine as long as we get big tours.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Even i don't listen to much "Biinaural" now, i don't think PJ is closed... history
    I love them. Doesn't matter for me how often They will be in my country (but i want to see Them here everyday as it possible) i wait for Their new album...
    I have to admit it - Their concert in Chorzów (Poland) make me hurry to keep listen to PJ music again. ( so sad, but there is some true in marketing knowledge).
    Anyway - earlier or further (or farther - i always forget it, i mean: more far in time...) i always come back to PJ music (with enjoy like child could have)
    And I promised myself, that even if i don't like Their music in the future (is it possible?) i will buy Their records, because i know They did and still do too much for me to let Them just pass and deprive young people Their music.

PS. Their concert in my country - 1 on almost 7 years- is like big holiday...:)
    I wish my Christmas always be so happy as the day They have concert in Poland

PS2. In February i bought "VS" and "Pearl Jam" on cd... Legal. I had "Vs" on tape (legal) but it demaged.... Now I need legal " Lost dogs", "Riot Act" and "Binaural" on cd. The tapes are demaged....:)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Like I said somewhere before - i was SO affraid that PJ stopped play after "Ten". and Their next albums have would be worse... (but it wasn't for sure!)
    I can wait 4 years for next album... but, please, PJ assure me of making next album.
    Just need have a little stupid faith
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    well theyre not getting any younger, i say have the next one come out within this year, whether its tomorow or dec 31
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Me personally, I'm more of an album guy. I really like new, fresh music rather than 60 shows-per-leg tours. So if I had any say in it, I would go for a PJ album every 2 years and some solo work in the off year (especially after Ed put out quite a nice one with ITW).

But hey, you gotta take what they give ya. So as long as they're comfortable doing what they're doing, it's all good.

Generally speaking, I think economics also plays a part in the outputs nowadays too. A few decades ago, bands made a good living selling albums, but with the advent of the internet, they now make most of their money touring so it's not surprising that bands and labels go for longer tours and longer pauses between records.
    Well, do you need a lot of what you've got to survive?