Given to fly goes back to Ed's teen years.

SpinbrettSpinbrett Posts: 251
edited March 2008 in The Porch
Ok, on youtube...Ed and Beth have a skating video on there. In the video Ed talks about the place getting bigger each year because they just give it away, and give and give, until its going to explode...soI think, I heard that is a song...he just gives it away.....ok......so what does this mean? He drew upon what he said many years earlier to create a song. I dont remember what I said when I was a teen. Something brilliant though I'm sure.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i highly doubt ed would ever allow anyone to look at his private stuff for people to see on youtube. how come you didnt post the link? hmmm i wonder
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • SpinbrettSpinbrett Posts: 251
    5 against 1....you can either apologize now, or send me your apology in a pm keep watching....ed squats down in front of the camera and talks about giving it away.....just what I said earlier.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2CLlEq6eQk
  • ONCE DEVIDEDONCE DEVIDED Posts: 1,131
    yeah just type in Ed vedder into you tubes search engines
    pretty well known vid actually
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,830
    Wow that's pretty crazy! I think the Given To Fly link is a little tenuous though.

I wonder how old he is in that video?
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I actually think that this video was around 91-92, so I am not sure where the whole teen thing comes in. I personally dont think one has anything to do with the other. GTF has a completely different meaning, and I am pretty sure skating is not one of the topics. imho
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • I may be wrong, but I think this was from the flano tapes.
  • squidsquid Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Posts: 85
    Spinbrett wrote:
    Ok, on youtube...Ed and Beth have a skating video on there. In the video Ed talks about the place getting bigger each year because they just give it away, and give and give, until its going to explode...soI think, I heard that is a song...he just gives it away.....ok......so what does this mean? He drew upon what he said many years earlier to create a song. I dont remember what I said when I was a teen. Something brilliant though I'm sure.

I thought he was referring to the Red Hot Chili Peppers...
  • KeiranKeiran Posts: 393
    Was this video shot after the city of Seattle had shut down a free Pearl Jam concert in the park due to security reasons? I thought this was the skate ramp they had built for the event. They eventually held the concert/party on private property. Or am I all mixed up again :)

I think the GTF reference is a bit of a stretch but who knows? It's rather presumptive to assume to know from what source any artist draws inspiration for their work. I'm more interested in what the lyrics/music bring to my life than what was swimming around in Eddie's head when he composed GTF. Sometimes knowing an artists motivations and meanings end up ruining a song for me. imho - peace!
    I wish a guy like Eddie, would like me.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,250
    well isn't GTF a MIKE song or am i wrong maybe mike music ed's lyric's ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    As fans, sometimes, we think too much.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,768
    LongRd. wrote:

Ya think? :D
  • LongRd. wrote:

YES! we do. Theories are fun, but we're talking about music...a little bit of pop culture...maybe a lot for some people, but never the less...I'm thinking too much now and not writing my script outlines...damn!
    I can get you a toe by three o'clock...
  • rival.rival. Chicago Posts: 7,776
    LongRd. wrote:

good thought!
  • Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    well isn't GTF a MIKE song or am i wrong maybe mike music ed's lyric's ...

Yes, it's Mike's music and Ed's lyrics.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    Spinbrett wrote:
    5 against 1....you can either apologize now, or send me your apology in a pm keep watching....ed squats down in front of the camera and talks about giving it away.....just what I said earlier.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=k2CLlEq6eQk

5 against 1.....BURNED!!

my sig is ur tag...burn
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    5 against 1.....BURNED!!

my sig is ur tag...burn
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,244
    I think it's a timeless song. Not that it was being built and built and built upon until it finally reached paper, but rather a song that at the right moment reached paper. It was always there.

hahahahahahah :D I just laughed at how foufou I sounded.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    whoops my bad... i actually saw that video before.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09