Options

Hard Sun at Walmart

bettermanofthehourbettermanofthehour Posts: 355
edited February 2008 in The Porch
So I was at Walmart today doing some shopping.

Yes, I do shop at Walmart. Sorry, but you can't beat the prices.

Anyway, I was tooling around when Eddie's version of Hard Sun come over the Walmart radio. My wife turned to me and said "I wonder if Eddie had to give his approval for them to play that".

Just thought I would share. Thought it was a bit odd hearing an Eddie Vedder song in Walmart.
My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328

Anyway, I was tooling around when Eddie's version of Hard Sun come over the Walmart radio. My wife turned to me and said "I wonder if Eddie had to give his approval for them to play that".

Just thought I would share. Thought it was a bit odd hearing an Eddie Vedder song in Walmart.

I heard "let me Sleep" at Shoppers Drug Mart around Christmas time, that was pretty fucked up.

I also once heard a Brad song playing at Canadian Tire.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    it was released as a single i dont think he can give approval or deny approval...at least im pretty sure
  • Options
    Does Walmart sell ITW soundtracks? And if so, I think they can play whatever they want... Not sure though
    " Jump from a cliff to fly, not to fall..."
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    is walmart like the american version of kmart??

and its not just strange - its blasphemy really ;)
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    zenith wrote:
    is walmart like the american version of kmart??

and its not just strange - its blasphemy really ;)
    they used to compete in America, but then k-mart went bankrupt and walmart dominated, so k-mart is still around, just not as a large competitor to walmart
    My god its been so long, never dreamed we'd return.
  • Options
    BUFFALOBUFFALO Posts: 760

walmart is the devil
    Buffalo 96,Barrie 98,Tampa 00,Orlando HOB 03,Buffalo 03,London 05,Hamilton 05 ,Toronto 06,
    MSG 2 08, Buffalo 10, Hamilton 11

rudiger10 wrote:
    they used to compete in America, but then k-mart went bankrupt and walmart dominated, so k-mart is still around, just not as a large competitor to walmart

well it obviously immigrated, kmart is all over the place in australia
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options
    He has no choice where his song is played. Stores usually play internet radio stations.
  • Options
    I work at Wal-Mart. We do sell ITW. They also play "Daughter" and "Betterman" all of the time.
  • Options
    Sorry, but you can't beat the prices.

you should be ashamed

Walmart is what's wrong with our economy

next time they talk about China stealing all our jobs and ruining our Country

thanks for helping out............

(Boycott Walmart)
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    you should be ashamed

(Boycott Walmart)

Walmart is not whats wrong with the the economy. Morgage companies giving anybody and everbody a loan, and oil companies are a big part of what is wrong with our economy.

The government wants to do something for the economy. Maybe instead of sinking us into further debt, maybe they could lower fuel costs.

Sorry, but Walmart is the bad guy here.
    My whole life looked like a picture of a sunny day.

Summerfest 95, 06 Alpine 92, 98, 00, 03 Chicago 95, 98, 00, 03, 06, 07 Grand Rapids 04, St. John's 05 Milwaukee 08
  • Options
    you should be ashamed

(Boycott Walmart)

Well said. Those defending Wal-Mart are completely uniformed on their business practices(they do not make that information readily available, obviously) and the destructive impact they have ,not only on the communities they infest, but the actual employees of Wal-Mart.

If Wal-Mart raised the price on all of their goods by 1 cent, they could cover the cost and provide full healthcare coverage for all of their employees.

Excellent documentary titled "WalMart: The high cost of low prices"

And then there is the subject of their enviornmental record...LOL

Too bad more aren't aware of the effects of Wal Mart.
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076

I don't like this one bit.

Walmart sucks...plain and simple, their prices may be unbeatable, but you can budget at any major retailer.

fuck walmart....it's the closest thing to mexico nowadays
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    i went into a walmart in north carolina down where my sister lives.... i didnt know what to think. the fucking store had its own supermarket,eatery,nail salon,SPA, and the store itself. its ridiculous. their just putting out so many small businesses in the south. just knowing that basically everyone in that town get EVRYTHING from that store bugs the shit out of me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    VOLITION wrote:
    I heard "let me Sleep" at Shoppers Drug Mart around Christmas time, that was pretty fucked up.

I also once heard a Brad song playing at Canadian Tire.

I also heard Let Me Sleep at Shoppers a couple years ago
  • Options
    Walmart is not whats wrong with the the economy. Morgage companies giving anybody and everbody a loan, and oil companies are a big part of what is wrong with our economy.

The government wants to do something for the economy. Maybe instead of sinking us into further debt, maybe they could lower fuel costs.

Sorry, but Walmart is the bad guy here.

Walmart is whats wrong with our company. Companies cannot afford to sell their products there so they must find a cheaper way to produce them. I am all for capitalism, but Walmart takes it to a dangerous level. They are the most powerful store in the country, and all they sell are goods made in China because they are cheaper than goods produced here. They may be cheap but shopping there does more to hurt our future which is way more damaging than the couple of bucks you are saving.

I will argue this to the bitter end. I live in a community that voted not to have Walmart develop in our area.

Cheers,
    Adam
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • Options
    KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    I think one of my first posts here was hearing Betterman at Wal-mart. Wish people would do more comparitive shopping and realize their prices are close to competitors. Spend the extra couple of pennies and save.... save your town, that is. As a florist I have seen what they have done to mom and pop shops.....

PJ has been around for a long time... cracks me up when us older folks hear it on the "lite rock station" or Muszak at the store. Gettting old is a bitch aint it?
  • Options
    you've missed the point, how freekin old are we that we're hearing good music in stores, i remember when all they played in stores and elevators was crap... i even heard hendrix at the shoppers last week, question? when they use a song for store music or a commercial does that mean they endorse the drug/lifestyle/sentiment of the song? do they even know what they are playing, maybe there is a secret subliminal attempt to revive counter culture. wishful thinking
    03 bristow,04 reading,05 toronto,05 phillie,06 camden,06 dc,07 chicago,08 dc,08 camden,09 philliex2,10 bristow
    eddie solo 08 dc,09 balt, 11 phillie
  • Options
    this is an interesting thread...
    although I do agree w/ the walmart bashing, it's hard to tell struggling families to seek out other avenues, when said Walmart offers what they do...
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:
    although I do agree w/ the walmart bashing, it's hard to tell struggling families to seek out other avenues, when said Walmart offers what they do...

Agreed. They may suck, but they give a lot of people what they need.
  • Options
    simpleman wrote:

In response to this: Wal-Mart typically preys on towns with small independently run businesses that will very shortly close down since they just cannot compete with the prices, thus eliminating competition and contributing to the poverty level. Often times, Wal-Mart will be the only option to people at or below the poverty level in these towns because they have eliminated the competion. And being the only business in town or the only job these working poor are able to obtain, Wal-Mart is then able to pay their employees a NON-LIVING WAGE, meaning they are not earning enough money to support themselves and are living far below the poverty level despite having a job. Many of these employees cannot afford housing and those who can are often living in sub-standard housing. And since there is no other place to shop, or since the prices at Wal-Mart are so cheap, the money earned by employees is given right back to the company.

This does not even begin to cover the treatment of workers, violation of workiers rights, unaffordable healthcare, enviornmental abuse, sweat shops overseas, forced and unpaid overtime, and of course, hundreds of millions spent to prevent workers from unionizing and making a wage they can support themeselves and a family.
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    In response to this: Wal-Mart typically preys on towns with small independently run businesses that will very shortly close down since they just cannot compete with the prices, thus eliminating competition and contributing to the poverty level. Often times, Wal-Mart will be the only option to people at or below the poverty level in these towns because they have eliminated the competion. And being the only business in town or the only job these working poor are able to obtain, Wal-Mart is then able to pay their employees a NON-LIVING WAGE, meaning they are not earning enough money to support themselves and are living far below the poverty level despite having a job. Many of these employees cannot afford housing and those who can are often living in sub-standard housing. And since there is no other place to shop, or since the prices at Wal-Mart are so cheap, the money earned by employees is given right back to the company.

This does not even begin to cover the treatment of workers, violation of workiers rights, unaffordable healthcare, enviornmental abuse, sweat shops overseas, forced and unpaid overtime, and of course, hundreds of millions spent to prevent workers from unionizing and making a wage they can support themeselves and a family.
    You are very right, except read your second paragraph over.... This sounds like most American companies to me???