Options

A little AIC help....?

little_wishlittle_wish England, The North Posts: 532
edited September 2010 in Other Music
I was just wondering if anyone can recommend a good place to start with AIC?

Heard lots about them on the board, just looking for a little advice.

20-04-2006 04-09-2006 05-09-2006 11-09-2006 16-09-2006 17-09-2006 18-06-2007 21-06-2007 26-06-2007 28-06-2007 17-08-2009 20-05-2010 21-05-2010

"The live shows? Well, that's church on Sundays"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    if you like to rock, then Dirt.

if you're interested in the more introspective acoustic stuff, Jar of Flies.

pretty much all of it is good.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    given2fly23given2fly23 Evanston, IL Posts: 5,877
    MTV Unplugged
    Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • Options
    FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856
    Well, they don't have very many records so I would start at the start.

Facelift is more straight ahead rock than their other records. Much more of a metal influence I think. But still dark. Facelift is OK, but there are a few songs that grate on my nerves.
    Standout tracks: We Die Young, Love Hate Love, Man in a Box, It Ain't Like That

SAP is this little EP they did with Chris Cornell and the Wilson sisters from Heart. Its really good. Acoustic.

Dirt is their peak. Heavy, sludgy, dark, and depressing statements on drugs and the damage they do. I think Dirt is the album that absolutely defines the term "grunge" as much as we all hate that term. I don't think there is a better way to describe it. Dirt is the portrait of a man totally sinking into the absolute pit of desperation. Its fascinating. The pain and emotion in Staley's voice combined with Jerry's spot perfect backing vocals and wailing guitar makes Dirt the must-hear album of the 90s. When I think "grunge", I think of this and nothing Pearl Jam has ever done.
    Standout tracks: All of it, from start to finish, it should be heard all the way though.

Jar of Files is another EP of mostly acoustic stuff and continues the theme of Dirt. I am not sure, but I always thought Jar of Flies was the leftovers from Dirt. It is almost as good and I think a lot of AIC fans would consider this to be their peak.
    Standout tracks: Rotten Apple, Nutshell, Don't Follow

The self-titled record has its moments. There are some good songs. But to me, it feels like Layne was never there. His vocals are doubled and even tripled on every track and Jerry overpowers him sometimes. Unlike the first few records, you never hear Layne alone. Go back to Facelift after hearing this on and it will be more clear. On Facelift, Jerry was strictly backup. On Self-Titled, he's much more prominent. Not that that's a bad thing, it just shows how far gone Layne was.
    Standout tracks: Heaven Beside You, Over Now, Grind, God Am

Black Gives Way to Blue - Glad they did. Nice to hear the AIC band and I am OK with them keeping the name, but again, too much Jerry, not enough Will. Its like a Jerry solo album or an AIC tribute album. They need to give Will the reigns next time.
    Standout tracks: Private Hell, Check My Brain, Your Decision

Absolute must hear: The MTV Unplugged album. Better than Pearl Jam. Better than Nirvana. And I don't even think its close. The DVD is haunting. Sitting there watching this man struggle to get through the set and still pulling it off even though by this time he could barely function. They really showcase their talents on this thing and their songs translate over to the unplugged setting very well. Even when I don't listen to the studio albums, I listen to this.

Hope that helps.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
  • Options
    Flagg wrote:

Facelift is more straight ahead rock than their other records. Much more of a metal influence I think. But still dark. Facelift is OK, but there are a few songs that grate on my nerves.

SAP is this little EP they did with Chris Cornell and the Wilson sisters from Heart. Its really good. Acoustic.

Dirt is their peak. Heavy, sludgy, dark, and depressing statements on drugs and the damage they do. I think Dirt is the album that absolutely defines the term "grunge" as much as we all hate that term. I don't think there is a better way to describe it. Dirt is the portrait of a man totally sinking into the absolute pit of desperation. Its fascinating. The pain and emotion in Staley's voice combined with Jerry's spot perfect backing vocals and wailing guitar makes Dirt the must-hear album of the 90s. When I think "grunge", I think of this and nothing Pearl Jam has ever done.
    Standout tracks: All of it, from start to finish, it should be heard all the way though.

Jar of Files is another EP of mostly acoustic stuff and continues the theme of Dirt. I am not sure, but I always thought Jar of Flies was the leftovers from Dirt. It is almost as good and I think a lot of AIC fans would consider this to be their peak.

The self-titled record has its moments. There are some good songs. But to me, it feels like Layne was never there. His vocals are doubled and even tripled on every track and Jerry overpowers him sometimes. Unlike the first few records, you never hear Layne alone. Go back to Facelift after hearing this on and it will be more clear. On Facelift, Jerry was strictly backup. On Self-Titled, he's much more prominent. Not that that's a bad thing, it just shows how far gone Layne was.

Black Gives Way to Blue - Glad they did. Nice to hear the AIC band and I am OK with them keeping the name, but again, too much Jerry, not enough Will. Its like a Jerry solo album or an AIC tribute album. They need to give Will the reigns next time.

Absolute must hear: The MTV Unplugged album. Better than Pearl Jam. Better than Nirvana. And I don't even think its close. The DVD is haunting. Sitting there watching this man struggle to get through the set and still pulling it off even though by this time he could barely function. They really showcase their talents on this thing and their songs translate over to the unplugged setting very well. Even when I don't listen to the studio albums, I listen to this.

Hope that helps.

Black Gives Way to Blue was the first alice in chains album i listened to....then facelift...however MTV unplugged on dvd was the first time i actually got into them....that dvd/cd is so good...i think you dont appreciate music if nutshell doesnt tug at your heart strings

great review on the albums though 8-)
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,486
    Well they only have 4 albums, they all deserve a thorough rinsing!!
  • Options
    red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    edited September 2010
    I think Jar of flies is my favorite. To me, acoustic and mellow stuff worked well with Alice. I just really like it. It's mellower, but still has that dark edge feel to it. Unplugged was phenominal.

"whale and wasp" is one of the best instrumentals, it's amazing.

Also check out Mad season (if you haven't already).

It really shows Layne's vocal ability and really captures that poor man's pain.
    Mad season has Mike McCready as the lead Guitarist. They only have 1 album it's called "Above."

Band is:
    Layne Stayley
    Mike McCready
    Barrett Martin (screaming trees drummer)
    Mark Lanegan
    John Baker Sauders
    Post edited by red mos on
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,700
    Flagg wrote:

Hope that helps.
    exactly spot the fuck on!!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,158
    MTV Unplugged
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    MTV Unplugged
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    Back_PedalBack_Pedal Posts: 1,171
    To give an alternative viewpoint, starting with Black Gives Way to Blue might not be a bad idea. It's not their best work, but in a way, it's a summation of their sound: it has a few acoustic songs, it has heavy riffing, and it has the atmosphere of AiC, but it's a tad easier to swallow. It took me a bit longer than it should have to fully appreciate the band starting right off with Dirt (since I was accustomed to music like it), so if you're a little unsure, go with this first.
    Thanks EPOTTSIII!
    "Vinyl or not, you will need to pay someone to take RA of your hands" - Smile05
    424, xxx
  • Options
    maynardsuxmaynardsux Posts: 1,085
    A good start would b to go check them out live, they just started a tour with the Deftones.....caught their show last night in Detroit and both bands absolutely killed it!!! And AIC's set list was a nice mix of old and new, and although no-one could replace Layne, Will does a very, very standup job!
    '93 Toronto
    '94 Detroit
    '10 Columbus
    '11 Detroit (Eddie solo), Toronto 1 and 2, Ottawa, Hamilton
    '13 London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    '14 Detroit
    '16 Ottawa, Toronto 1 and 2, Chicago 1 and 2
    '18 Chicago 1 and 2
    '22 Hamilton, Toronto
  • Options
    dirt.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    craigbcraigb Posts: 806
    Dirt is the best starting point, but I really feel that Jar of Flies is their greatest work.

"I Stay Away", "No Excuses", and "Don't Follow" are top tracks.
    "Speak clearly if you speak at all; carve every word before you let it fall"

Los Angeles 10.7.2009
  • Options
    Start at the start, but Dirt is, in my opinion, easily the best album, it hits you in the face from the opening scream of Them Bones and takes you down through a sick twisted world of confessional drug addiction. Dirt is probably one of the few masterpiece 90's hard rock albums. Self titled was never going to live up to Dirt but still has some great tracks.

As others have said after Dirt, Layne seemed to be less present and it became the Jerry show. This isn't a bad thing, but it doesn't match the balance they had when Layne was a creative force.

Definately check out Above by Mad Season if you haven't heard it. Absolutely incredible from start to finish, Layne never sounded better, and Mike was given license to shred in the studio like he only really gets to live with Pearl Jam. If you have never heard Mike's November Hotel, you should go listen to it right now!
  • Options
    Back_Pedal wrote:
    To give an alternative viewpoint, starting with Black Gives Way to Blue might not be a bad idea. It's not their best work, but in a way, it's a summation of their sound: it has a few acoustic songs, it has heavy riffing, and it has the atmosphere of AiC, but it's a tad easier to swallow. It took me a bit longer than it should have to fully appreciate the band starting right off with Dirt (since I was accustomed to music like it), so if you're a little unsure, go with this first.

You want this person to start with the AIC album that does not have Layne Staley?? I think not. . .

The very thorough post above covered things very well. Jar of Flies and Sap remain my absolute favorites, as I prefer mellower stuff now. Don't Follow is one of my all-time favorite songs.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    The 'Tripod' (selftitled) is the release that got me into them ... That should be a good start ;)

boroff89 wrote:
    Don't Follow is one of my all-time favorite songs.

Me too, along with No Excuses :)
  • Options
    My daughter is the world's biggest AIC fan... she's got tons of boots, all the albums, etc.... here's what she typed:

"I would personally start with the essential or greatest hits. I started by liking the radio stuff and bought the greatest hits then i bought Dirt and went from there. Aic's unplugged is amazing as everyone says too so that wouldn't be a bad start."
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    Lanternjaw wrote:
    My daughter is the world's biggest AIC fan... she's got tons of boots, all the albums, etc.... here's what she typed:

"I would personally start with the essential or greatest hits. I started by liking the radio stuff and bought the greatest hits then i bought Dirt and went from there. Aic's unplugged is amazing as everyone says too so that wouldn't be a bad start."

I agree. Sometimes starting with a greatest hits album, if available, is a good way to get into a band. After you become really familiar with those songs it makes it easier to get into the deeper tracks.
  • Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Lanternjaw wrote:

I agree. Sometimes starting with a greatest hits album, if available, is a good way to get into a band. After you become really familiar with those songs it makes it easier to get into the deeper tracks.
    That's the exact same way that got into AIC - and numerous other bands - as well. Greatest Hits / Unplugged first and then when you like them, just start at the beginning of their recording history, listen to how they evolved over time and form your own opinion on what stuff that you like best. You can still re-sell the Greatest Hits via eBay after that. :mrgreen:
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz