Options

Bands you have soured on....

edited September 2010 in Other Music
For me it is the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I still enjoy them from time to time but if one of their songs comes on the ipod shuffle, 9/10 I reach for the skip button.

Does anybody else have those bands they still kinda like, but not as much as they used to?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    pearl jam.

but ive soured on a lot of unrelated stuff too so...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    guns n roses, for obvious reasons (though still love the old albums)
  • Options
    Another one that doesn't do it like it used to for me are Deftones. There songs now seem to just annoy atm.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    Chili Peppers, Offspring, 311, and Weezer
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    ^^^

Yeah Offspring is another good choice.
  • Options
    whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    I saw the King's of Leon about five years ago at the Cat's Cradle and thought they were awesome. I saw them at Bonnaroo this past year and thought they sucked (they really did). We left after a half hour or so and went back to the tent to drink beer. And now the whole world loves them, odd.
  • Options
    Peppers, 311, Offspring, Incubus, MxPx, Deftones, Pearl Jam album songs(more in a I've heard it enough times already than a genuine dis-interest, if that makes sense), Ozzy, Sublime, Live, DMB, Foo Fighters
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Definitely Weezer for me!
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    KoL for me lately
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    kings of leon.
  • Options
    whulmef wrote:
    I saw the King's of Leon about five years ago at the Cat's Cradle and thought they were awesome. I saw them at Bonnaroo this past year and thought they sucked (they really did). We left after a half hour or so and went back to the tent to drink beer. And now the whole world loves them, odd.
    i agree they have sucked hard the last few years but i thought the bonnaroo set was pretty good. it could be because of how bad they were the previous times i saw them, but i thought them playing Trani and Where is my mind was really cool.
  • Options
    and i forgot weezer but they have soured for me for so long i dont give a shit about them any longer.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    pearl jam.

:lol::lol::lol: Are you looking to be flamed?

U2 for me. I still like a lot of the music but find it hard to enjoy when I consider the singer such a tosser.
  • Options
    FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,907
    nuffingman wrote:
    pearl jam.

U2 for me. I still like a lot of the music but find it hard to enjoy when I consider the singer such a tosser.

C'mon, it's cate you're talking to. She doesn't give a shit :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm with you on U2, and for the same reasons actually :? ;):D:D
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    I'm with you on U2, and for the same reasons actually :? ;):D:D [/color]
    And I expect we aren't the only ones. :)
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    pearl jam.

just speaking the truth. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    blink-182
    no doubt
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    blink-182
    no doubt

i always thought blink 182 were a novelty toy in lifes big happy meal.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    metsfan wrote:
    blink-182
    no doubt

they were fine when i was a teen. the cursing and poop and piss jokes were funny but now that im 25 all that bs seems lame. travis barker is a damn good drummer. sham his talent is going to waste in blink 182
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    metsfan wrote:
    metsfan wrote:
    blink-182
    no doubt

they were fine when i was a teen. the cursing and poop and piss jokes were funny but now that im 25 all that bs seems lame. travis barker is a damn good drummer. sham his talent is going to waste in blink 182

travis barker is the reason for any interest i had in blink. toms a fool and marks just way too straight for me.

but all the small things video was classic.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    whulmef wrote:

I'll agree with this one. I know the term "sold out" gets WAY overused...but seriously, they really, really have. If they're truly happy with the music and image they're currently putting out there, then fuck me.
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    I soured on U2 a long time ago. I don't think they are bad, I just don't think they are nearly as good as they get credit for. Like a C student being treated like a Rhodes Scholar.

I have soured on the National. I think the guys in that band are very talented, but this insistence on a song never reaching a crescendo or some sort of breaking point where you feel the song's gone somewhere reaches a level of frustration where it's just not worth listening to. Also, their level of hubris and self-importance dwarfs Arcade Fire's, which is what people seem to be complaining about around here.
  • Options
    Ben Harper
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    JL19851JL19851 Posts: 209
    Here's the thing about Ben Harper that really gets me...in the 1990's he was certifiably awesome. Practically a mashup of Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, and at times almost Hendrix-like during live shows.

Sometime around 2002-03, he switched things up a little too much by firing half of what was the Innocent Criminals, and opted to rely more heavily on his singing voice than his writing and weissenborn chops. While there have been some great moments since then (the album with the Blind Boys of Alabama a good example), he's predominantly been stuck in this scattershot funk, where he can't decide what his voice is. I think that the Relentless7 stuff is the first in a while that showed that he had potential to make another run like in the 90s (albeit with a different sound), but I think there comes a point where you gotta commit to being great a something rather than be decent at a lot of things.

Due to all of this, I don't have the highest of expectations with his new project, which sounds like typical Ben Harper (a quick one off session turning into a whole album turning into a touring band and throwing everything else that was supposed to be on the table into flux).
  • Options
    there is only 1

the doors

i just cant listen to them anymore
    was a pretty big fan in my teenage years

oh well
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,370
    I'll go with Weezer. All their songs nowadays are gimmicks meant to make funny videos. They stopped making actual music a while ago.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    myramyra Posts: 1,257
    there is only 1

the doors

i just cant listen to them anymore
    was a pretty big fan in my teenage years

oh well

I regretfully have to state them too.

I can't go past the image of Jim Morrison, totally drunk and way out of it on stage. That, which was cool somehow back then as a teen, is just pitiful to me now.
    :(
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    KOL comes to mind for me.

Also Sublime.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    JL19851 wrote:
    Here's the thing about Ben Harper that really gets me...in the 1990's he was certifiably awesome. Practically a mashup of Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, and at times almost Hendrix-like during live shows.

Sometime around 2002-03, he switched things up a little too much by firing half of what was the Innocent Criminals, and opted to rely more heavily on his singing voice than his writing and weissenborn chops. While there have been some great moments since then (the album with the Blind Boys of Alabama a good example), he's predominantly been stuck in this scattershot funk, where he can't decide what his voice is.

This is pretty spot on.

I've never soured more on an artist. He was one of my favorites until around Burn To Shine. We had a nice run together though. Got to see him live about 15 times from 98-03 ish
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,840
    I'll throw in Coldplay also.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA