interesting discussion at the bar...

GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
edited September 2010 in The Porch
So this past weekend I was talking music with some new friends at a local bar. The discussion turned to what band from the 90's still has the most impact today. It was pretty split amongst a handful of bands, Green Day getting the most votes. As the conversation went on we were pretty much judging by their current live shows and latest albums. When it came to live shows I voted PJ hands down, but as I sat there thinking about albums, I had to give my vote to someone other than PJ. I couldn't believe it, but as I thought about PJ's last 3 albums and the last 3 from RHCP, it was pretty easy for me to give the peppers my vote. I'd have to say RHCP's last 3 albums are their best, and PJ's last 3, well...
Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• youngsteryoungster Boston Posts: 6,574
    I completely agree with you.

Peppers last 3:

Californication
    By The Way
    Stadium Arcadium

Fantastic trio of albums by any band. In greatness is very reminiscent of Pearl Jam's first 3 albums.

Pearl Jam's last 3

Riot Act
    Self Titled
    Backspacer

While I am partial to these albums because they are from Pearl Jam....they can't compare to the Peppers. I think there were 5 singles from the last 3 PJ albums, the last 3 RHCP albums had about 9 singles.
    He who forgets will be destined to remember.

9/29/04 Boston, 6/28/08 Mansfield, 8/23/09 Chicago, 5/15/10 Hartford
    5/17/10 Boston, 10/15/13 Worcester, 10/16/13 Worcester, 10/25/13 Hartford
    8/5/16 Fenway, 8/7/16 Fenway
    EV Solo: 6/16/11 Boston, 6/18/11 Hartford,
  • yeh i hear ya. i think that pj are just going through the motions. they aren't trying to get better at their crafts. aside from ed, his guitar playing and writing have evolved alot.
  • EastiesEasties Posts: 479
    The Chili's last 3 have definitely had more impact in a commercial sense. No doubt, I agree. Californication was made in 1999 though. That's a while ago. Since '02 they've only put out one album in '06, four years ago. 5 albums since '91 while PJ have put out 9. I don't think commercial success should be the be all and end all though. With Riot Act and Avocado PJ seemed to be content in their own little world while RHCP have always pushed harder into the commercial realm. Impact on sales and commercial awareness then RHCP win (not that it's a contest) but it doesn't necessarily mean that's a great thing. PJ have delivered 4 albums this decade. That's enough of an impact for me, personally : )
  • The last 3 peppers albums were the best 3 of their career. Riot Act (in my opinion) is the low mark of Pearl Jam's career, almost an unfair comparison. Any other 3 album slice compared by both bands PJ wins hands down. But take out riot act and put in Into the Wild, and I change my vote...
  • just dave wrote:
    yeh i hear ya. i think that pj are just going through the motions. they aren't trying to get better at their crafts. aside from ed, his guitar playing and writing have evolved alot.

Just for discussion sake - what makes you say they are just going through the motions? I think that if they didn't want to make music together, they wouldn't. The fact that they are still putting stuff out there - good stuff in my opinion - shows that they are still really involved and doing this because they want to. They could never write another song and would still be set for life because of their early success. Plus, their live shows are intense and fun. I never would have thought they were just coasting along.
    "Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them." - Thoreau

No time to be void, or save up on life, you've got to spend it all
  • You know, I absolutely HATED stadium arcadium. by the way and californication have very good songs, but also a lot of filler. My favorite RHCP albums are Mother's Milk and BSSM, but to each his own.

For the record, I'm also not a huge fan of backspacer. but I really like S/T and riot act.

I'd have to go with Green Day's last 3 as the best. Warning (my fav album of theirs), American Idiot (one of the best albums of the decade) and 21st Century Breakdown (Not groundbreaking, but good nonetheless)
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Now don't get me wrong, I have always loved Riot Act, and I've grown to love self titled as well. Backspacer is still a work in progress for me... But Californication, By The Way and Stadium Arcadium are 3 of my favorite albums of all time!! I don't really even know how all of them compare in terms of commercial success, this is just me judging by what I hear.
    But like I said, RHCP's don't hold a candle to PJ when it comes to a live show...
    You know, I absolutely HATED stadium arcadium. by the way and californication have very good songs, but also a lot of filler. My favorite RHCP albums are Mother's Milk and BSSM, but to each his own.

For the record, I'm also not a huge fan of backspacer. but I really like S/T and riot act.

I'd have to go with Green Day's last 3 as the best. Warning (my fav album of theirs), American Idiot (one of the best albums of the decade) and 21st Century Breakdown (Not groundbreaking, but good nonetheless)
    Yea I was surprised how many people voted for Green Day .... I haven't heard any of those albums!
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,218
    You know, I absolutely HATED stadium arcadium. by the way and californication have very good songs, but also a lot of filler. My favorite RHCP albums are Mother's Milk and BSSM, but to each his own.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm a long-time Green Day fan, and the last album was a real bummer, IMO. I thought American Idiot was a great album -- it was all I listened to for 2-3 months. But what were interesting reminders of other songs on AI became an overall derivative sound, to me, on 21st Century Breakdown. I ended up taking the newest album off of my iPod.

RHCP -- I enjoy their music, think they are an interesting bunch of guys, but their songs all sound the same to me. Maybe I am not listening closely enough, but there just is not enough there to hold my interest musically.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • You know, I absolutely HATED stadium arcadium. by the way and californication have very good songs, but also a lot of filler. My favorite RHCP albums are Mother's Milk and BSSM, but to each his own.

I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm a long-time Green Day fan, and the last album was a real bummer, IMO. I thought American Idiot was a great album -- it was all I listened to for 2-3 months. But what were interesting reminders of other songs on AI became an overall derivative sound, to me, on 21st Century Breakdown. I ended up taking the newest album off of my iPod.

RHCP -- I enjoy their music, think they are an interesting bunch of guys, but their songs all sound the same to me. Maybe I am not listening closely enough, but there just is not enough there to hold my interest musically.

yeah 21st century breakdown was a tad boring and bloated, ill give you that. still love the other two.
    and as far as RHCP goes, listen to BSSM...in my top 10 albums of all time, and the songs have some variety on there
  • Though i hate American Idiot, i'd have to say that album really but Green Day back on the map. it seemed for a while GD was no where to be seen. and then all of a sudden kids who were younger than i and without older brothers or sisters (for sibling influence) were all of a sudden talking about Green Day and Billy Joe this and Billy Joe that. i'm like "how the fuck do you know about Green Day?" i don't listen to hit radio so i didn't know of American Idiot so when i did, i gave it a listen and hated it. But despite my dislike for the album, i have profound respect for how successful that album was and how it really brought back Green Day from the dead.

RHCP had the same affect with Stadium Arcadium (also hated that album) and it came off of the success of By The Way, but it didn't come close to how successful American Idiot was. I mean the success of this album led to a fuckin Broadway musical. I don't plan on seeing it, but for it to be that successful, kudos! GD gets my vote.
  • Stadium Arcadium was WAY too much filler. They wrote 3 albums worth, whittled it down to 2, when they should have shaved it down to 1. Even then it was a bit of a stretch.

Californication and By The Way, though, are their two best by far.

I will readily admit I can't be objective. I'll take PJ's worst over any other band's best any day of the week.
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • i dunno, i'm just sort of dreading the day PJ makes their big "second awakening" album much like American Idot did for Green Day

the reason i dread it is because in order to appeal to today's modern music tastes, it's going to be a really horrible album to us die hards. I'm all for spreading PJ around, but not when it means putting out a god awful album like American Idiot or Stadium Arcadium.
    I think stadium arcadium is pure genius!! all of it!!
  • BlahBlah Posts: 469
    :lol: the.......red............hot.............chili.....pep....ers.

You gotta be kidding me.
  • Gmoney wrote:
    So this past weekend I was talking music with some new friends at a local bar. The discussion turned to what band from the 90's still has the most impact today. It was pretty split amongst a handful of bands, Green Day getting the most votes. As the conversation went on we were pretty much judging by their current live shows and latest albums. When it came to live shows I voted PJ hands down, but as I sat there thinking about albums, I had to give my vote to someone other than PJ. I couldn't believe it, but as I thought about PJ's last 3 albums and the last 3 from RHCP, it was pretty easy for me to give the peppers my vote. I'd have to say RHCP's last 3 albums are their best, and PJ's last 3, well...

id have to disagree on this one, Just because I love Riot Act and Backspacer, Self titled or Avocado - not mad about, but getin into a bit more with more listening, As for the Chilli Peppers, Californication was a great album, but Stadium Arcadium did nothing for me I thought it was rubbish (couldnt give it to many listens), I guess it comes to personal taste though! Id of gone for PJ :D
    Drop the leash, Drop the leash........
  • goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,258
    I used to love RHCP and Green Day in the 90s, not quite as much as PJ but almost, but now I find it hard to get excited about what they they do.

If you look at all of the albums that have been released by the 3 bands and not just the last 3 (9 PJ albums in 19 years, 9 RHCP in 26 years and 8 GD in 20 years), there is really no contest:

Ten (91)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (84)---39/Smooth (90)
    Vs.
    Freaky Styley
    Kerplunk
    Vitalogy
    The Uplift Mofo Party Plan----Dookie
    No Code
    Mother's Milk
    Insomniac
    Yield
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Nimrod
    Binaural
    One Hot Minute
    Warning
    Riot Act
    Californication
    American Idiot
    Pearl Jam
    By the Way
    21st Century Breakdown
    Backspacer----Stadium Arcadium

The last 3 RHCP albums all sound very similar to me - if anything, they are the band that is really going through the motions now (it will be interesting to see how they do without John...) The new Green Day stuff is ok but I preferred their earlier albums, they sound like a different band now.

It's interesting that there are often threads on The Porch about PJ "selling out" - compare early RHCP to the bloated Stadium Arcadium, or early GD to 21st Century Breakdown and it's easy to see that they have both become a lot more commercial and it's more about hit singles for them now. If that's what it takes to have "the most impact" then I'd much rather PJ sold a few less records less records than changed their style to fit in with commercial tastes.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
    goldrush wrote:
    I used to love RHCP and Green Day in the 90s, not quite as much as PJ but almost, but now I find it hard to get excited about what they they do.

If you look at all of the albums that have been released by the 3 bands and not just the last 3 (9 PJ albums in 19 years, 9 RHCP in 26 years and 8 GD in 20 years), there is really no contest:

Ten (91)
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (84)---39/Smooth (90)
    Vs.
    Freaky Styley
    Kerplunk
    Vitalogy
    The Uplift Mofo Party Plan----Dookie
    No Code
    Mother's Milk
    Insomniac
    Yield
    Blood Sugar Sex Magik
    Nimrod
    Binaural
    One Hot Minute
    Warning
    Riot Act
    Californication
    American Idiot
    Pearl Jam
    By the Way
    21st Century Breakdown
    Backspacer----Stadium Arcadium

The last 3 RHCP albums all sound very similar to me - if anything, they are the band that is really going through the motions now (it will be interesting to see how they do without John...) The new Green Day stuff is ok but I preferred their earlier albums, they sound like a different band now.

It's interesting that there are often threads on The Porch about PJ "selling out" - compare early RHCP to the bloated Stadium Arcadium, or early GD to 21st Century Breakdown and it's easy to see that they have both become a lot more commercial and it's more about hit singles for them now. If that's what it takes to have "the most impact" then I'd much rather PJ sold a few less records less records than changed their style to fit in with commercial tastes.

In looking at this list it is obvious that PJ destroys RHCP in the overall picture. But when I look at those last 3 albums, which has been the core of the past 10 yrs, peppers win. And I think everyone needs to spend some qt with stadium arcadium.... give it a few days worth of listening, im willing to bet it grows on you!
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Chili Peppers, catchy tunes, that is all for me.
    Pearl Jam, inspired lyrics, unbeatable vocals, music to match.
    I also feel like I am on a journey with PJ, goes way past just music.
    It is 20 years of being a fan and yes I am faithful.
  • doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    by the way was the album they lost me with. just stopped enjoying them. so, i vote pearl jam.
  • arqarq Posts: 7,935
    What a bunch of great albums!!! I love the peppers they're my second favorite band (or better said a far second!)
    I've enjoyed all the RHCP albums and i play them a lot, but i feel pearl jam's albums more personal and i listen to pj A LOT. but as far as an impact in the public i would have to say that the RHCP are in the lead...
    "The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it"
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

Why not (V) (°,,,,°) (V) ?
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,491
    i dunno, i'm just sort of dreading the day PJ makes their big "second awakening" album much like American Idot did for Green Day

the reason i dread it is because in order to appeal to today's modern music tastes, it's going to be a really horrible album to us die hards. I'm all for spreading PJ around, but not when it means putting out a god awful album like American Idiot or Stadium Arcadium.

I almost think this is what Backspacer was. With the whole Target exclusive marketing and the total saturation of The Fixer and Just Breathe. Not that I think Backspacer is horrible but it was their return to the commercial realm IMO.
  • I think that's what Backspacer is to some die hards around here! ;)
    i dunno, i'm just sort of dreading the day PJ makes their big "second awakening" album much like American Idot did for Green Day

Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • I don't mind SA per say, but it just doesn't flow. It's a bunch of singles, nothing more.
    Gmoney wrote:
    And I think everyone needs to spend some qt with stadium arcadium.... give it a few days worth of listening, im willing to bet it grows on you!
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,031
    Beach Bum wrote:

You gotta be kidding me.

Yeah, seriously. Listening to the last 3 Peppers records is torture. I'm sorry, but their terrible now. PJ's last 3 albums are much deeper musically and lyrically. I loved "Freaky Styley" and "Mothers Milk." But after "Blood Sugar" they haven't put out anything I can give more than a listen or two. Maybe on a commercial basis the RHCP have had more impact, I really don't know but comparing the last 3 records with PJ's is a joke. I couldn't even make all the way through "Stadium Arcadium." Then again everybody who knows me says I'm a giant "music snob" so maybe I don't know shit 8-).

Oh yeah, I've never owned a single Green Day record, that's how good I think they are :shock:
    edited September 2010
    Abe Froman wrote:
    Beach Bum wrote:

You gotta be kidding me.

Yeah, seriously. Listening to the last 3 Peppers records is torture. I'm sorry, but their terrible now. PJ's last 3 albums are much deeper musically and lyrically. I loved "Freaky Styley" and "Mothers Milk." But after "Blood Sugar" they haven't put out anything I can give more than a listen or two. Maybe on a commercial basis the RHCP have had more impact, I really don't know but comparing the last 3 records with PJ's is a joke. I couldn't even make all the way through "Stadium Arcadium." Then again everybody who knows me says I'm a giant "music snob" so maybe I don't know shit 8-).

Oh yeah, I've never owned a single Green Day record, that's how good I think they are :shock:

Ummm I think you read my post all wrong. I agree in every way humanly possible that Pearl Jam's last 3 albums are so far above anything the Peppers have ever done and ever could do that it's an offense to even mention both bands in the same breath if your comparing. If you wanna compare Pearl Jam with The Who or The Rolling Stones or The Beatles or Led Zeppelin then we can discuss but to mention Pearl Jam with just a normal band is asinine.

I was making reference to the guy who said the Peppers last 3 albums were better than Pearl Jam, it's gotta suck to be that person. :lol:

Pearl Jam's last 3 albums have been amazing as they all have been. Fuck what the masses think because those are the same people who think American Idiol is good music.

And if you took away the so called cool video's the Chili Peppers did for that last pile of junk then that album would have been called what it was......bad. But they tricked the masses with an attention getting music video. Haha you were had! :lol:
    Post edited by Blah on
  • Beach Bum wrote:
    but to mention Pearl Jam with just a normal band is asinine.

funny.......I always thougth PJ was just a normal band. A normal band we all love.
    :)
    Gimli 1993
    Fargo 2003
    Winnipeg 2005
    Winnipeg 2011
    St. Paul 2014
    Paul David wrote:
    Beach Bum wrote:
    but to mention Pearl Jam with just a normal band is asinine.

funny.......I always thougth PJ was just a normal band. A normal band we all love.
    :)

No they are one of the greatest bands ever. Thats like saying Michael Jordan was a normal basketball player. Look it up. ;)
    The last word I'd use to describe Pearl Jam is normal. They are on an elite level that only a couple other bands have reached. Get sales figures out of your minds that means nothing. Eddie Vedder could write songs the masses would devour, if he wanted to sing about fucking and things like that. He could write a Nickleback caliber song on the toilet taking a shit. He doesn't want to people.

If you have ever been to a Pearl Jam concert you know your seeing something that means something, something that matters. It's an assault on your mind. It's powerful and breathtaking and the songs live in you far afterwards. You carry the songs around inside you everywhere you go and if your somewhere by yourself it still almost feels like your not alone because those songs and those performances and those moments they have given you is right there with you.

Normal :lol: Pearl Jam is not a normal band.
    Whatever beach bum- I strongly stand by my point that the last 3 peppers albums are better and it does not suck to be me, it's pretty awesome actually.