Cleveland???

Yellow LedbellyYellow Ledbelly Posts: 3,749
edited August 2010 in Other Music
I'm not here to slam Cleveland in any way, but something has always bothered me. Why in the hell is the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland?
I've not researched it (and suppose I should) but I'm guessing the only logical reason has to be money, because if the decision about where to build the museum was based on history and relevance to music in would have to be in MEMPHIS!!!
No city in the country was more important (or even nearly as much so) in birth of rock n roll than Memphis.
The blues gave birth to rock n roll.
The blues, as we know it, was born in the Mississippi Delta.
Blues musicians migrated from the Delta to Memphis.
Memphis was the place where some of the most important blues records were recorded.
Memphis was where BB King, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins...and on and on and on....got their starts.
Many of the blues records records recorded there influenced the vast majority of the British rock n roll bands/musicians who took over in the 60s and the influence of those records and those artists who were first influenced by them is still felt throughout music today.

To me, it doesn't matter who someone believes is the King of Rock N Roll or who recorded first rock n roll record, but there is no debate as far I am concerned about the true and rightful home of the rock n roll.
Chicago may have some claim to feeling like home of rock n roll, but other than that....there is no other than Memphis.
Perhaps it is meaningless and insignificant thing for me to be bothered by, but Cleveland makes absolutely zero sense any way you look at it. In many ways I feel the rock hall is a joke, but if there is going to be an ultimate museum to honor the history of rock n roll it simply shouldn't be anywhere but Memphis....

Ramble over....thoughts?
All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Cleveland Rocks.

Why is the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum located in Cleveland, Ohio?

The city lobbied for it primarily based on the legacy of Alan Freed (1921-1965), a deejay credited with coining and popularizing the term “rock and roll” when promoting the latest in rhythm and blues. In 1951 Freed took to the airwaves in Cleveland using the name “Moondog.” And, in March 21, 1952, Freed promoted "The Moondog Coronation Ball" at the Cleveland Arena. The momentous event ended early due to issues with overcrowding, but is still recognized as the first rock and roll concert.

Freed was part of the first group of inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Cleveland embraced rock and roll, making it a hot record-buying, radio and live concert market. According to the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History:

“Radio stations like WERE-AM, WKYC (Channel 3)-AM, WHK-Am, and WIXY-AM in the 1950s and 1960s established a national "break-out" market by playing new records and artists first. WERE's jocks, Tommy Edwards, Bill Randle, Phil Mclean and Carl Reese, chose to play unknown rockers like Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers, Buddy Holly, and a local group, the Ponytails. WKYC (Channel 3), the city's first formatted rock station, was followed by hit stations WHK (Color Radio) and WIXY. Progressive rock stations WNCR and WMMS established a strong FM market.”

The Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Jane Scott became the first established rock writer when she began a teen music column in 1962. She went on to become known as the “oldest living rock critic,” staying on the paper until 2002.

Although there is a list of songs that reference Cleveland, there are two lyrics that seem to stick in visitors minds linking the city with its rock and roll legacy. One is the “Heart of Rock and Roll” by Huey Lewis and the News and Ian Hunter’s “Cleveland Rocks,” which solidified its status as an anthem for the city when it became the theme from The Drew Carey Show.

Some Rock Acts from Cleveland Plus (Northeast Ohio):

15 60 75/The Numbers Band
    Joseph Arthur
    Alex Bevan
    Bone Thugs N Harmony
    Eric Carmen
    Tracy Chapman
    Johnny Cymbal
    The Choir
    The Damnation of Adam Blessing
    The Dazz Band
    Death of Samantha
    Devo
    Glass Harp
    James Gang
    Legendary Pink Holes
    Levert
    Macy Gray
    Michael Stanley Band
    Mr. Stress
    New Salem Witch Hunters
    Nine Inch Nails
    O’Jays
    Pere Ubu
    The Pretenders
    Raspberries
    Robert Lockwood, Jr.
    Rocket from the Tombs
    Rubber City Rebels
    Screamin’ Jay Hawkins
    Tin Huey
    Tiny Alice
    The Twilighters
    Waitresses
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • So it was pretty much based on money as I figured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_Hall_of_Fame
    "Civic leaders in Cleveland pledged $65 million in public money to fund the construction. A petition drive was signed by 600,000 fans favoring Cleveland over Memphis, and a USA Today poll which Cleveland won by 100,000 votes. The hall of fame board voted to build the museum in Cleveland.
    Cleveland may have been chosen as the organization's site because the city offered the best financial package. As Plain Dealer music critic Michael Norman noted, "It wasn't Alan Freed. It was $65 million... Cleveland wanted it here and put up the money."

And this list.....

Some Rock Acts from Cleveland Plus (Northeast Ohio):

15 60 75/The Numbers Band
    Joseph Arthur
    Alex Bevan
    Bone Thugs N Harmony
    Eric Carmen
    Tracy Chapman
    Johnny Cymbal
    The Choir
    The Damnation of Adam Blessing
    The Dazz Band
    Death of Samantha
    Devo
    Glass Harp
    James Gang
    Legendary Pink Holes
    Levert
    Macy Gray
    Michael Stanley Band
    Mr. Stress
    New Salem Witch Hunters
    Nine Inch Nails
    O’Jays
    Pere Ubu
    The Pretenders
    Raspberries
    Robert Lockwood, Jr.
    Rocket from the Tombs
    Rubber City Rebels
    Screamin’ Jay Hawkins
    Tin Huey
    Tiny Alice
    The Twilighters
    Waitresses

.....furthers my argument
    All I have to do is revel in the everyday....then do it again tomorrow

They say every sin is deadly but I believe they may be wrong...I'm guilty of all seven and I don't feel too bad at all
  • RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    As someone who grew up in Ohio, I find your anti-Cleveland sentiments offensive. If Macy Gray isn't the back bone of rock I don't know what it. :lol:

It is total BS. And it is totally about money. The state of Ohio gives huge tax breaks and incentives to anyone and anything that wants to build. A shit ton of companies are headquartered there due to the breaks. I'm not sure if these all still hold true, but several years ago Ohio boasted more paved roads per square mile than any other state, the least amount of preserved land per square mile than any other state, and more millionaires per capita than any other state. Money talks a lot.

I still love Ohio, though. Big up to the corn-fed. Gotta represent.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,082
    I'm not here to slam Cleveland in any way, but something has always bothered me. Why in the hell is the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland?
    I've not researched it (and suppose I should) but I'm guessing the only logical reason has to be money, because if the decision about where to build the museum was based on history and relevance to music in would have to be in MEMPHIS!!!
    No city in the country was more important (or even nearly as much so) in birth of rock n roll than Memphis.
    The blues gave birth to rock n roll.
    The blues, as we know it, was born in the Mississippi Delta.
    Blues musicians migrated from the Delta to Memphis.
    Memphis was the place where some of the most important blues records were recorded.
    Memphis was where BB King, Elvis, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash and Carl Perkins...and on and on and on....got their starts.
    Many of the blues records records recorded there influenced the vast majority of the British rock n roll bands/musicians who took over in the 60s and the influence of those records and those artists who were first influenced by them is still felt throughout music today.

To me, it doesn't matter who someone believes is the King of Rock N Roll or who recorded first rock n roll record, but there is no debate as far I am concerned about the true and rightful home of the rock n roll.
    Chicago may have some claim to feeling like home of rock n roll, but other than that....there is no other than Memphis.
    Perhaps it is meaningless and insignificant thing for me to be bothered by, but Cleveland makes absolutely zero sense any way you look at it. In many ways I feel the rock hall is a joke, but if there is going to be an ultimate museum to honor the history of rock n roll it simply shouldn't be anywhere but Memphis....

Ramble over....thoughts?

My thoughts...open a Blues HOF in Memphis. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,823
    u can add Filter to the Cleveland list.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA