Options

Big Fish

lephtylephty Posts: 770
edited March 2008 in The Porch
So i know i am a few years late, but i finally got to see this movie tonight. It was way better than i expected. its weird though, if i saw this movie when it was released, i would not have been able to have a more personal touch with it.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer this past october and has had a surgery and a bunch of chemo treatments and has made quite a good recovery. thats only a small part of me feeling this personal connection though. my dad is a story teller. i can finish most of his stories before he gets to the second word. he has a story for everything growing up in an italian immigrant household in the bronx from 1945-1965. his stories would drive me crazy sometimes, but i feel like the next time i see him i might pay a little extra attention.

on a side note, Man of the Hour was the most perfect song for this movie. i listened to that song dozens of times and picked apart the meanings to the point where i feel like i knew what was happening in the movie.

go see it if you haven't!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,588
    It's a tearjerker for sure.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Options
    jammergirljammergirl Posts: 597
    i admit, i first saw it just for the pj connection but ended up loving it. i convinced my fiance to watch it with me. at the end, when he is carrying his dad to the water, i looked over and my bf was sobbing like his heart would break. apparently when his dad was close to the end (cancer, right before we met) he had to carry his dad to and from the car b/c he was so weak. talk about a powerful moment in a movie!
  • Options
    Big Fish is one of my most favorite movies to watch. It has great meaning and if you pay attention, you can actually get something out of it. After a long night, I think I just might curl up on my sofa and watch it right now!
    so boys......where do you want me?
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    Yeah it´s a very good movie!!

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    Jesika537Jesika537 Posts: 301
    PJ and Tim Burton!!! It doesn't get much better...
    Detroit '98 - Detroit '03 - Toledo '04 - Grand Rapids '04 - Kitchener '05 - London '05 - Grand Rapids '06 - Cleveland '06 - Detroit '06 - Chicago '07 - West Palm Beach - Tampa '08 - Toronto '09 - Indy '10 - Buffalo '10 - Toronto '11 - London '13
  • Options
    SnakeSnake Posts: 2,605
    Man that is my favorite movie!
    Truly inspiring. And for the first time I actually almost cried at the end part when I watched it recently. I love that movie! How Ed Bloom doesnt care about others judgment of him, and does what he has to do.
    Pirates had democracy too.

"Its a secret to everybody."
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    my grandfather was also diagnosed with cancer but unfortunately, he never beat it.

he told stories too... about life in the prairies, how he came out west, etc.
    him and i were super super close, of all the grandchildren, i was probably the one who was the closest to him.

this movie is so beautiful and really hits close to home... and if i ever hear the song live ill probably cry!

one of my favourite movies and one of my favourite pearl jam songs! :)
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    momofglynnmomofglynn Posts: 849
    great movie. Love the stories. We all have stories. I cold watch that several times and not get tired of it. I always seem to see something that I missed before. Good stuff.
    Let's Go Red Sox!
  • Options
    pearljgirl2010pearljgirl2010 Shillington, PA/Tuckerton, NJ Posts: 3,428
    loved loved loved this movie, even though it was a bit long. every time I see it, it just makes me appreciate those I love even more...good stuff.
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Options
    mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 785
    jammergirl wrote:
    i admit, i first saw it just for the pj connection but ended up loving it. i convinced my fiance to watch it with me. at the end, when he is carrying his dad to the water, i looked over and my bf was sobbing like his heart would break. apparently when his dad was close to the end (cancer, right before we met) he had to carry his dad to and from the car b/c he was so weak. talk about a powerful moment in a movie!

You almost made me cry with your story. Very touching.
  • Options
    CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Powerful movie! Powerful song!
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,358
    This is a really good movie... glad you got around to seeing it.
  • Options
    LONGRDLONGRD Posts: 6,036
    i saw it in the theaters, great film. i'm not sure why it gets overlooked by a lot of people.
    PJ- 04/29/2003.06/24,25,27,28,30/2008.10/27,28,30,31/2009
    EV- 08/09,10/2008.06/08,09/2009
  • Options
    Yes, I think it's a great movie and it definitely resonates with me. My dad died of pancreatic cancer and other complications of diabetes. He passed away about a year before Big Fish, and when I went to see the movie I could not stop crying at the end of it when the dad is in the hospital bed. I went to see it with the person I was dating, but he didn't really understand why I was so upset, but after the movie he saw how red my eyes were and I told him the reason why the ending touched a very sensitive nerve in me. I've seen it twice, and I wish I could see it again, but it's too powerful for me. I did not know the premise of the movie and the reason why I went to see it was because Eddie had "Man of the Hour" and when I got the Cd from the Ten Club I completely fell in love with the song and I have great respect for the lyrics.
    "I am the first mammal to wear pants....yeah"
    6/95 -SF, CA.
    11/95 -SJ, CA.
    7/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    10/25/03 -Mt. View, CA.
    7/9/06 -LA, CA.
    7/15/06 -SF, CA.
    7/17/06 -SF, CA.
    10/22/06 -Mt. View, CA.
    12/9/06 -Honolulu, HI
    Eddie!-SC, CA. 4/5/08
    Eddie!-Berkeley. 4/7/08
    6/28/08- Mansfield, MA.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    My mother-in-law cried and told me, "the song, the song made me cry! It was beautiful..." there is no point in trying to explain that it's Pearl Jam. Even my hubby isn't aware. It's my little secret...
    be philanthropic
  • Options
    bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    My favorite movie! :D
  • Options
    SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    lephty wrote:
    So i know i am a few years late, but i finally got to see this movie tonight. It was way better than i expected. its weird though, if i saw this movie when it was released, i would not have been able to have a more personal touch with it.

My dad was diagnosed with lung cancer this past october and has had a surgery and a bunch of chemo treatments and has made quite a good recovery. thats only a small part of me feeling this personal connection though. my dad is a story teller. i can finish most of his stories before he gets to the second word. he has a story for everything growing up in an italian immigrant household in the bronx from 1945-1965. his stories would drive me crazy sometimes, but i feel like the next time i see him i might pay a little extra attention.

on a side note, Man of the Hour was the most perfect song for this movie. i listened to that song dozens of times and picked apart the meanings to the point where i feel like i knew what was happening in the movie.

from beginning to end this movie was GREAT. i got alot from it. :)
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • Options
    lephty wrote:

Its a great movie and makes you appreciate what we have in Fathers, I know I did when I saw it. My Dad's a real character with tall tales and quirky anecdotes and I love him all the more for it. Glad your Pop made a good recovery :)

And yes, Man of The Hour is quite possibly the best song ever written for a film :D
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    My mother-in-law cried and told me, "the song, the song made me cry! It was beautiful..." there is no point in trying to explain that it's Pearl Jam. Even my hubby isn't aware. It's my little secret...

A friend of mine who went to see this film, and who has never had a good word to say about Pearl Jam, admitted she sat through the entire credits sequence to find out who the beautiful end song was by. Needless to say she got a surprise :-)
    If I knew where it was, I would take you there...