Soundgarden members trash Stone Temple Pilots

scottstappsucksscottstappsucks Posts: 991
edited August 2010 in Other Music
http://grungereport.net/2010/08/20/soun ... n-article/

Maybe they'll write diss songs about each other on their next albums?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• RYEzupSFRYEzupSF Posts: 6,003
    Makes me miss the nineties more than I already do.
    BrowserPreview_tmp_zps26eff4aa.gif

Don't fuck sheep. -EV 7/11/11
    You can never have enough Neil in the mix. -EV 10/24/10
    There's only one commandment: Don't be an asshole. -EV 5/6/10
  • What do you make of all this, sss?

Matt dislikes STP? Chris needs to watch what he says or he's gonna derail this reunion real quick.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Well, I guess it doesn't take much to have your words considered as "trashing" someone else, but SG always thought pretty highly of their band... and rightfully so. They are much better musicians than the STP boys who have to recreate their songs live basically note for note while a band like SG can actually jam shit out on the fly.

STP wrote catchier, simpler songs though, so more people ate them up.
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • What do you make of all this, sss?

Matt dislikes STP? Chris needs to watch what he says or he's gonna derail this reunion real quick.

Robert DeLeo tried introducing himself to Cornell and Eddie at Lollapalooza in 1992 when STP were playing the small stage, Cornell and Eddie ignored him and that's what started it. I know in 2001 Robert mentioned still being peeved by it. I think that combined with the critics calling them Grunge ripoffs really hurt their feelings. I'm not sure why the Soundgarden guys started disliking STP though, I'm sure we'll hear more about it in future interviews. Dean DeLeo also took a slight dig at Soundgarden in a recent interview which I posted on my site.

I know Alice In Chains and STP get along really well, so it's not some Seattle vs. STP thing. It sucks for me because Soundgarden and STP are two of my favorite bands so I can't really pick a side. I'll admit it is kind of fun though.
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    Yeah, they might be a little bitter bc they really never got the respect they deserved. They had to open for bands like GnR and Metallica when each band sucking corporate dick in the 90s. I get where they're coming from.
  • I just edited in Thayil's exact quote into the article.
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    eyedclaar wrote:
    Well, I guess it doesn't take much to have your words considered as "trashing" someone else, but SG always thought pretty highly of their band... and rightfully so. They are much better musicians than the STP boys who have to recreate their songs live basically note for note while a band like SG can actually jam shit out on the fly.

STP wrote catchier, simpler songs though, so more people ate them up.

Soundgarden better musicians? Matt is definitely light years beyond STP's drummer, but other half of the rhythm section Deleo owns.
    I think Dean Deleo puts in alot more technically adept musical touches than Thayil ever thought about, too.

Odd time signatures, especially the ones bands like Soundgarden and Tool use, are pretty simple.

Soundgarden just aren't a catchy band, overall.
  • I really disagree with Kim's assessment of the STP reunion, it comes off as very condescending. While money did make it happen quicker, Weiland had been hinting for nearly two years before it happened that he wanted STP back. He even flat out said he wanted to do another STP album but didn't have time because of Velvet Revolver. The bottom line is STP worked out whatever issues they had to work together, which has been great for the fans. Scott's had his shitty shows, but it's always been like that with STP. They played over 70 shows in 2008, 40-50 in 2009, and tons this year. They also have released a new studio album. If the STP reunion was merely a cash grab there wouldn't be a new album, because there is no money in making albums for major labels these days. STP decided they wanted to be a band again.

I don't see why Soundgarden playing three shows since reuniting 5-6 months ago and releasing a greatest hits makes their reunion "superior." It really makes no sense to me. I think the bravest thing a reunited band can do is make a new album.

I think Dean DeLeo's dig from an interview a few days ago was unnecessary too.
  • BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    i like both bands but maybe they should focus on putting out some relevant music before they start talking shit. i mean matt aside, when is the last time someone from soundgarden released something that actually mattered? cornell managed to reduce himself to a punchline with his latest solo effort. stp have become more known for scott's drug abuse and train wreck of a life then anything they have done musically in the past 10 or so years.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    The "new" STP seems pretty artificial. They're new album sounds like todays generic rock with that same generic production quality. Theres just something about this performance that strikes me as cheesy. I think its their corny looking guitarist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MF7aS3m ... ure=search

Scott is a different story. He is and will always be badass even if he is a mess.

I do think its kinda lame for Kim to talk crap about them, especially how hes knocking on their reunion when Soundgardens reunion sounds even crappier. To me it just seems like Soundgardens reunion is just for the money. I mean its been announced since Jan 1st and they have only played 3 shows and are doing more about marketing themselves with some silly super duper greatest hits box set and not playing shows or working on any new material. Shit, I mean Kim even said he doesnt even give a shit about the reunion that much. If hes not all that into it then wahts the point? Oh yea money of course. And that money should be going to Ben anyway.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • The "new" STP seems pretty artificial. They're new album sounds like todays generic rock with that same generic production quality. Theres just something about this performance that strikes me as cheesy. I think its their corny looking guitarist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MF7aS3m ... ure=search

Scott is a different story. He is and will always be badass even if he is a mess.

I do think its kinda lame for Kim to talk crap about them, especially how hes knocking on their reunion when Soundgardens reunion sounds even crappier. To me it just seems like Soundgardens reunion is just for the money. I mean its been announced since Jan 1st and they have only played 3 shows and are doing more about marketing themselves with some silly super duper greatest hits box set and not playing shows or working on any new material. Shit, I mean Kim even said he doesnt even give a shit about the reunion that much. If hes not all that into it then wahts the point? Oh yea money of course. And that money should be going to Ben anyway.

I love STP's new album. A lot of the music was written years ago, the DeLeo brothers have been sitting on a lot of material that they had written for the inevitable STP reunion. If STP wanted to do a commercial sellout album they wouldn't have self produced. Dean DeLeo says Atlantic told them to get a big name producer, and they told Atlantic to fuck off. Also STP's music has always been catchy, they can't help that they write songs with good hooks. Dean has always done the poses like that his entire career, he likes to have fun up there. Robert gets into it too. I don't see what's wrong with that.

I agree about Kim having no right to talk shit. Until Soundgarden actually do something like tour or make a new album they shouldn't criticize other reunions.
  • IwasBit10IwasBit10 Posts: 646
    Saw STP last night, and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. My expectations were somewhat low going in, but they really rocked hard. Nothing about their performance seemed artificial, or like they were just going through the motions. They all seemed to be having a great time, and definitely fed off a rowdy ass crowd.

I like both bands, but I'm gonna have to side with STP on this one...(at least for now).
    He floated back down 'cause he wanted to share, his key to the locks on the chains he saw everywhere.
  • IwasBit10 wrote:
    Saw STP last night, and I gotta say, I was pretty impressed. My expectations were somewhat low going in, but they really rocked hard. Nothing about their performance seemed artificial, or like they were just going through the motions. They all seemed to be having a great time, and definitely fed off a rowdy ass crowd.

I like both bands, but I'm gonna have to side with STP on this one...(at least for now).
    Supposedly Scott isn't drinking as much right now and is in a better place. Hopefully it lasts for a little while. The setlist for this tour is amazing.
  • joely_91joely_91 Posts: 795
    I fount it easier to get into soundgarden then I do STP....I still can't get into them...and after watching Scott Weiland...I dunno..he seems too be a little bit of a pansy and overreacts a little being a frontman....this is just my opinion though. They do have some good songs though....I don't hate the band but yeah...maybe an acquired taste? Will be interesting to see if the rumours of them supporting Soundgarden at Big Day Out in Australia are true :lol:
  • joely_91 wrote:
    I fount it easier to get into soundgarden then I do STP....I still can't get into them...and after watching Scott Weiland...I dunno..he seems too be a little bit of a pansy and overreacts a little being a frontman....this is just my opinion though. They do have some good songs though....I don't hate the band but yeah...maybe an acquired taste? Will be interesting to see if the rumours of them supporting Soundgarden at Big Day Out in Australia are true :lol:

STP aren't for everybody, there's many bands I think have a lot of talent that I really don't listen to a lot. Scott is a showman onstage, his big influences are David Bowie and Jim Morrison. Iggy Pop too. Not everything is for everybody. What pisses me off is when people call STP Grunge rip offs and specifically Pearl Jam rip offs, when STP actually were already recording demoes in 1989 that were released in 1990 under the name Mighty Joe Young. Here's Wicked Garden recorded in 1989:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=952e35lDpgY

Kind of hard to rip off Pearl Jam when they don't exist yet...
  • All I have to say is my five favorite bands are:

(1) Pearl Jam - It may be unhealthy how much I love them!
    (2) Stone Temple Pilots - Their first five albums kick ass.
    (3) Bush - I really enjoy Sixteen Stone, Razorblade Suitcase, Science of Things, and Sea of Memories.
    (4) Soundgarden - Superunknown and Down on the Upside are simply great.
    (5) Alice in Chains - Dirt is their only album that I love, but they have many great songs. 

I guess it's obvious that I'm a really 90s-centric guy! 
  • disilluziondisilluzion Posts: 1,015
    http://grungereport.net/2010/08/20/soun ... n-article/

Maybe they'll write diss songs about each other on their next albums?
    Oh, you're Brett! Yeah, I'll take Scott Stapp over your click-bait website any day of the week.

Although I do love how you quote me for your "news" articles when I know shit and am just guessing.
  • It's weird reading this and thinking that both Weiland and Cornell are gone. I think their grave sites are in the same cemetery in Los Angeles. I need to go there for sure and tell them how much they inspired me at various times in my life. Even though I never met them, I really miss them both. 
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,607
    Super sad. CC especially. When someone uses heroin I kind of expect that they may die. It's hard to accept suicide. Take care
  • I recently ordered a badass STP Core skateboard deck from officialbandshirts.com. Heck, it's so cool that I ordered another one for my brother too. I thought maybe some of you would be interested. Check it out!