Options

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Film

Jtboomer2Jtboomer2 Posts: 11
edited January 2008 in The Porch
A funny little story I thought I would share with the Pearl Jam faithfull:

I saw Into the Wild last night at Ciné in Athens, GA. The movie was wonderful, and I was proudly wearing my Cornice T-Shirt and singing along with the soundtrack. Haven't cried at a movie like that in a good while either. Very pleased with how it turned out.

I hadn't much paid attention to the crowd, because there wasn't much of one. Maybe ten people or so. (My kind of crowd...much more enjoyable when you have room around you). As Guaranteed ends, me and my friend walk out of the theater, pretty emotionally drained...I'm sure most of you understand.

What happened next I didn't really expect. As my friend goes to the bathroom, she points behind me. I turn around, and who do I see but Michael Stipe (in the wild, no less). He happened to be one of the 10 people in the theater.

I didn't say anything or do anything, because I don't like confronting celebrities, especially ones who I couldn't truthfully say "I love your work" without having my gut tell me that I only listen to REM on occasion.

I left the theater, and as I was leaving, Stipe or one of his friends was humming Guaranteed. I think they enjoyed the movie.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Jtboomer2 wrote:
    A funny little story I thought I would share with the Pearl Jam faithfull:

I saw Into the Wild last night at Ciné in Athens, GA. The movie was wonderful, and I was proudly wearing my Cornice T-Shirt and singing along with the soundtrack. Haven't cried at a movie like that in a good while either. Very pleased with how it turned out.

I hadn't much paid attention to the crowd, because there wasn't much of one. Maybe ten people or so. (My kind of crowd...much more enjoyable when you have room around you). As Guaranteed ends, me and my friend walk out of the theater, pretty emotionally drained...I'm sure most of you understand.

What happened next I didn't really expect. As my friend goes to the bathroom, she points behind me. I turn around, and who do I see but Michael Stipe (in the wild, no less). He happened to be one of the 10 people in the theater.

I didn't say anything or do anything, because I don't like confronting celebrities, especially ones who I couldn't truthfully say "I love your work" without having my gut tell me that I only listen to REM on occasion.

I left the theater, and as I was leaving, Stipe or one of his friends was humming Guaranteed. I think they enjoyed the movie.

Great story. You never know who you'll bump into about town.

Wonder if that was the first time Stipe has seen the movie.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    You don't have to say you love his work. You could just have a conversation with him about the film or something.

I mean, that's what I would've done atleast. Cool story though.
  • Options
    You don't have to say you love his work. You could just have a conversation with him about the film or something.

I mean, that's what I would've done atleast. Cool story though.

I'm not the same way. I don't go up to random people after a show and ask them what they thought...I usually just leave them alone. So I feel like celebrities deserve to be treated the same way.

If it was any member of Pearl Jam or Radiohead, I'd probably act differently. Unless it was Thom...I still don't think he would want to hear it. Love him to death though.
  • Options
    restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    cool he was there, i would have said hi at the very least....fact is, hes not a random person hes michael stipe!
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    ha, thats awesome! I visited athens a few years ago, and was one of those nerds furtively looking around each place I went to, just in case micheal stipe was there.