Kurt Cobain: About a son

Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
edited July 2010 in Other Music
Is this worth a purchase?
Saw it on the shelf for $27, bit pricey for a dvd.
Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• KM43590KM43590 Posts: 298
    It's a decent watch, but I was more than content with renting it. I almost bought it when it was first released, but haven't had the urge to watch it again. No Nirvana or Kurt documentary is gonna be worth watching while Courtney has the legal rights to all Kurt's stuff, she keeps making one bad decision after another. Netflix has it on their "Instant Watch" list, so you can watch it and then decide whether to buy it or not. Another pretty good (Cobain based) movie is "Last Days" staring Michael Pitt, It's unofficially about Kurt and his last days before the end, It's eerie and well acted... not much dialog, but still pretty neat. Hope that helps!
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Thanks.
    I just read on amazon many negative reviews.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Thanks.

my first question would be.. are you a cobain fan???

my second question then would be... what does it matter what amazon says???

i dont think i paid that much for my copy. anyhoo...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Thanks.

my first question would be.. are you a cobain fan???

my second question then would be... what does it matter what amazon says???

i dont think i paid that much for my copy. anyhoo...

Huge fan

I know not to listen to others, everyone told me everything Pearl Jam did after Ten sucked, they are wrong.
    But I still like to get the overall opinion.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i liked it a lot. it has some beautiful imagery of the areas where he grew up and lived in WA. it is kind of haunting to hear him speak though. i bought it and only watched it once. it is kind of slow in places but i think i will watch it again over the upcoming long weekend.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • musicismylife78musicismylife78 Posts: 6,117
    not really understanding where the negativity is coming from on this. About A Son is easily one of the best documentaries ever released, period, let alone one on Kurt. I am a massive Nirvana fan. If your looking for tabloid facts and gossip and glossy images, this DVD isnt for you. If on the other hand, you want to try to understand Kurt the human being, and here it from the horses mouth, this is the DVD worth getting.

Highly inventive and artistic, No image of Kurt is ever shown until the end, and its just bueaitiful images of Aberdeen and Washington current day. The soundtrack is made up of all the songs that changed kurts life, with one of the few original compositions for the film, a real doozy, a collab with Steve Fisk and Ben Gibbard, instrumental, but easily one of the most evocative and haunting songs I have ever heard. Gorgeous.

I got teary eyed near the end. When it screened at Sundance, audience also left the theater drying their eyes.

What a sad sad story.
  • jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    $27 might be too much. i watche it on netflix instantly and i thought it was very interesting but not worth that kind of money!!
  • PearlOfAGirlPearlOfAGirl Posts: 15,993
    As you may have already figured out, I'm a BIG fan of Nirvana. Such a loss for all of us fans. I can't help but wonder what would have been... :(

Wish you were here...

~RIP Dad
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    lastdays.jpg

Just don't bother with this peice of crap. i want that hour and half of my life back. :evil:
  • Pepe SilviaPepe Silvia Posts: 3,758
    i thought it was pretty good but i wouldn't pay $27 for it. try half.com or somehwere
    don't compete; coexist

what are you but my reflection? who am i to judge or strike you down?

"I will promise you this, that if we have not gotten our troops out by the time I am president, it is the first thing I will do. I will get our troops home. We will bring an end to this war. You can take that to the bank." - Barack Obama

when you told me 'if you can't beat 'em, join 'em'
    i was thinkin 'death before dishonor'
    I got hold of a copy.....
    Awesome viewing, absolutely awesome.
    He had the same feelings I had and have today about certain things in life.
    It amazes me.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    It amazes me.

he was just a guy. 8-)

im glad you liked it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    It amazes me.

he was just a guy. 8-)

im glad you liked it.

Yeah, that's what was so cool, just to listen to him as a guy not a rock icon.