Options

Know Who I Want To See Trade Licks With Mike?

2»

Comments

• Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,426
    How about STONE?
  • Options
    Good Call!!!!!!

Frank Zappa said Prince was the best guitarist since Hendrix...and that's no lie....
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • Options
    the wolfthe wolf Posts: 7,027
    youngster wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:
    Mike would get destroyed and I'm completely serious.

agreed

Yes he would, but that's okay. It would still be great, and not too many people can trade licks with Prince.

So Mike would still be able to hold his head high.
    Peace, Love.

"To question your government is not unpatriotic --
    to not question your government is unpatriotic."
    -- Sen. Chuck Hagel
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I'd like to see Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, and Jack White trade licks with him as well as Prince.

Jeff Beck and Trucks are on tour together now. I love Mike, but he's not even close to the level of these guys (Prince and Clapton included).
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:
    I'd like to see Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Derek Trucks, and Jack White trade licks with him as well as Prince.

Jeff Beck and Trucks are on tour together now. I love Mike, but he's not even close to the level of these guys (Prince and Clapton included).

Disagree with ya there. No doubt Prince is a fantastic guitarist and artist, but I would put Mike's solo in "Reach Down" up against that Prince solo any day. And that was from his early days! The great thing about Mike is that he is so versatile and can usher in any time he likes the sounds of Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Beck, etc.

Stone also is such an underrated guitarist, I think its high time that both of them start being recognized by all the magazines and stupid "greatest" lists as the great musicians they truly are.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Stinkfoot wrote:
    That's exactly the clip I thought of.

But really, Mike should trade licks with:

tootsie-pop-owl.jpg
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

i absolutely hate eric clapton's playing (with the exception of cream). i think he is so over rated. however he was considered to be the greatest guitar player alive (back in the 60s) is way beyond me.
  • Options
    DangDangDangDang Posts: 1,551
    edited October 2010
    ......Prince.
    Post edited by DangDang on
  • Options
    GD274660GD274660 Posts: 514
    Great solo by Prince, yeap. And it was ALL about him. He wasn't a part of the other musicians paying tribute...he was putting on a show. The whole throwing the guitar in the air so it "disappears"...ugh.

He is an amazing, ridiculous talent that could NEVER be in a band with other equals. Mike fits perfectly in this group. They are the cover art to "Ten".

I don't think anyone can be Mike, better than Mike. Not Prince, that's for sure, and Mike couldn't be Prince.
    San Jose 10/93, San Francisco 6/95, San Jose 11/95, St Louis 4/03, Columbus 5/10, MSGII 5/21/2010, Alpine Valley 09/03/2011 and 09/04/2011
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,778
    Newch91 wrote:

Don't even dare put Jack fucking White in the same class as Prince. Prince absolutely kills it. And, yes, he can go above and beyond Clapton and Trucks. The man does with a Telecaster what Hendrix did with a Strat.
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Disagree with ya there. No doubt Prince is a fantastic guitarist and artist, but I would put Mike's solo in "Reach Down" up against that Prince solo any day. And that was from his early days! The great thing about Mike is that he is so versatile and can usher in any time he likes the sounds of Hendrix, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Beck, etc.

Stone also is such an underrated guitarist, I think its high time that both of them start being recognized by all the magazines and stupid "greatest" lists as the great musicians they truly are.

i hear what you're saying. i actaully prefer Mike's playing from 91-98 to anything he's been doing for the last decade. I don't really dig his tone as of late or him just playing fast (see even flow solos).
    "What can you expect when you're on top? You know? It's like Napoleon. When he was the king, you know, people were just constantly trying to conquer him, you know, in the Roman Empire. So, it's history repeating itself all over again."
  • Options
    Newch91 wrote:

Don't even dare put Jack fucking White in the same class as Prince. Prince absolutely kills it. And, yes, he can go above and beyond Clapton and Trucks. The man does with a Telecaster what Hendrix did with a Strat.

yeah i should have mentioned in my post that Jack White has no place in this discussion. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    Newch91 wrote:

Well I just did!! Mike even said he'd love to jam with Jack White.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    Sawyer wrote:
    Mike would get destroyed and I'm completely serious.

Prince is a terrific guitarist!!
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    SarahLou wrote:
    i'd like to "trade licks" with Mike alright.... ;)

seconded.
  • Options
    Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Sawyer wrote:
    Hadn't seen this before;
    just watched it.
    Oh. My. Word.
    Love, love, love him throwing the guitar
    at the end.
    Thanx for the link.
    Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • Options
    doomponydoompony Wellington, NZ Posts: 4,497
    goodness - aside from the fact i nearly wet myself watching that (so awesome) did anyone else notice how much dani harrison looks like a young mike? or a cross between a young mike and conor oberst? or exactly like his dad?
  • Options
    Newch91Newch91 Posts: 17,560
    doompony wrote:
    goodness - aside from the fact i nearly wet myself watching that (so awesome) did anyone else notice how much dani harrison looks like a young mike? or a cross between a young mike and conor oberst? or exactly like his dad?

Exactly like his dad.
    Shows: 6.27.08 Hartford, CT/5.15.10 Hartford, CT/6.18.2011 Hartford, CT (EV Solo)/10.19.13 Brooklyn/10.25.13 Hartford
    "Becoming a Bruce fan is like hitting puberty as a musical fan. It's inevitable." - dcfaithful
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,358
    i'd like to see mike and prince face off during crazy mary. let boom sit this one out, and let prince and mike go ape shit.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    You guys are drastically overrating Prince....Puttin him in the same class as Derek Trucks and Jeff Beck?? Get the fuck out of here. Most guitarists call those 2 guys the best on the planet right now.

People always post that vid of WMGGW and it's really not that great. Serisouly compare it to some stuff from the guys you are comparing him to.

He's a fine guitarist, but hardly in the upper echelon of well known guitarists.
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf DelMarVa/Big Sky Posts: 646
    Sawyer wrote:
    Sawyer wrote:

where the fuck did the guitar go at the end!?!

I think it ascended to heaven because Prince killed it

:lol: A W E S O M E
    1996 - Columbia Maryland, Hartford

1998 - DC RFK Stadium, Virginia Beach, Columbia Maryland, DC Constitution Hall
    2000 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, Columbia Maryland

2002 - Seattle Key Arena I+II

2003 - Raleigh, Charlotte, State College, Bristow, Camden II

2004 - Asheville

2006 - Boston II, Camden I+II, DC

2008 - Virginia Beach, Camden I+II, DC

2009 - Philadelphia I, II, III, IV

2010 - Bristow

2013 - Philadelphia II, Baltimore, Charlottesville, Charlotte

2022 - Camden

• Options
    BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    DewieCox wrote:
    You guys are drastically overrating Prince....Puttin him in the same class as Derek Trucks and Jeff Beck?? Get the fuck out of here. Most guitarists call those 2 guys the best on the planet right now.

People always post that vid of WMGGW and it's really not that great. Serisouly compare it to some stuff from the guys you are comparing him to.

He's a fine guitarist, but hardly in the upper echelon of well known guitarists.

Voice of Reason. :thumbup:
  • Options
    CallawayCallaway Posts: 635
    LOL

So predictable. Every time someone on here mentions Mike VS. someone......and I mean every single time..........some dude posts the same clip of Prince playing with Petty. Prince does nothing more than try to show off when playing the guitar and this fools the mainstream folks. lol whatev floats your boat i guess.

In reality..

Prince is like an NBA player who throws down big dunks, but doesn't have a jumper and his career highlight is the dunk he did in the slam dunk contest.

Cready is like the NBA player who puts the team goals first but still can jump out of the gym and has a silky smooth jumper and an unstoppable turnaround and his career highlight is that he is ALWAYS taking people's breath away.

So in recapping......

Prince = J.R. Rider
    Cready = His Airness

funny thread, later days.
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    The thing about that Prince solo is sure its a great solo, but it doesn't fit the song at all. Its too flashy, the guitar doesn't sound weepy, it sounds on fire. I would take Clapton's original version over that any day of the week. Prince tries to make it his own, when he should be paying tribute to the great song that Clapton and Harrison already put together.

I think to look at Clapton, you have to understand that at the time, there was no one else who played like him, he was a pioneer. Sure, a lot of people can play Clapton's stuff now, but they sure as hell didn't write it, and that is half the battle. Then Hendrix came and absolutely changed the game. If you think Cream is his best stuff, I don't think you've ever listened to Derek and the Dominos, that album is flat out amazing. Clapton and Allman together bring things to a whole other level. Clapton is always better when surrounded by another guitarist or two. I saw him play with Trucks and another guy, and Clapton did his damnedest to keep up with them. Without someone to feed off Clapton can become stagnant and not play up to his potential.

On topic:

I would love to see what sort of crazy stuff Mike and Kim Thayil could come up with. Or how about Mike playing the part of Ronnie Wood/Mick Taylor in the Stones? I would love to see him on the "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" solo.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    fox_mulderXfox_mulderX Posts: 1,134
    Kraven wrote:
    The thing about that Prince solo is sure its a great solo, but it doesn't fit the song at all. Its too flashy, the guitar doesn't sound weepy, it sounds on fire. I would take Clapton's original version over that any day of the week. Prince tries to make it his own, when he should be paying tribute to the great song that Clapton and Harrison already put together.

I think to look at Clapton, you have to understand that at the time, there was no one else who played like him, he was a pioneer. Sure, a lot of people can play Clapton's stuff now, but they sure as hell didn't write it, and that is half the battle. Then Hendrix came and absolutely changed the game. If you think Cream is his best stuff, I don't think you've ever listened to Derek and the Dominos, that album is flat out amazing. Clapton and Allman together bring things to a whole other level. Clapton is always better when surrounded by another guitarist or two. I saw him play with Trucks and another guy, and Clapton did his damnedest to keep up with them. Without someone to feed off Clapton can become stagnant and not play up to his potential.

On topic:

I would love to see what sort of crazy stuff Mike and Kim Thayil could come up with. Or how about Mike playing the part of Ronnie Wood/Mick Taylor in the Stones? I would love to see him on the "Can't You Hear Me Knocking?" solo.

i completely agree with you about the whole writing is half the battle opinion. i hate it when someone tells someone else that they're amazing at guitar just because they can play a famous song. i never say it because i don't want to sound like a dick, but i always think that playing a song doesn't make you amazing... it doesn't even make you good. write a song and then come talk to me.

but

the whole "no one else who played like him" i can't agree with. it's no secret that clapton was influenced by a blues style of playing, so there were plenty of people playing like him... long before he even played. hendrix on the other hand, no one was playing like him and that's what made him so great.

also

i've seen clapton live so i totally agree with your "stagnant" comment. it was one of the most boring concerts i've ever been to.
  • Options
    I find it funny that my thread from over a year ago is getting attention.

And to the dude who said Prince's riffs are too flashy or fancy or something or other. Really? You mean Prince does things in a flashy/fancy way? I would have never known... :roll:
  • Options
    Ha, forgot about this.

Fucking Prince....goddamn, RIP, you sexy mothafucka.