Options

Philly '09: The Most Over-rated PJ Shows Ever

Comments

• Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    I'm a real pessimist...surprise surprise.....but these shows are AMAZING...no, I wasnt there...authentic rock 'n roll make mistakes.
  • Options
    gems_n_rhinestonesgems_n_rhinestones Harrisburg, PA Posts: 379
    Just my 2 cents...It's only MY opinion...

The bootlegs don't really do justice for the experience of the shows (I know I'm not the first to state this). They (the band) just seemed to be having an awesome time doing those gigs and that translated into a great time. Some people probably do get sick of hearing all of the praise that is given to those shows. But, I think the band had a sense that the people attending knew they were more than just "shows"-it was more than just that. There was a LOT going on around Philly as a whole and everyone was just there to party and be a part of it. I think Ed's red wine was tasting good those nights and he let loose. Everyone did. It was pretty fucking awesome!!!

Quit being so critical. :roll:
  • Options
    FrankY59FrankY59 Posts: 1,048
    I wish I had the time to read all 19 pages of this thread but after getting through the first 5 pages, I am sure nothing has been accomplished yet. How about a simple you "agree" or "disagree" with the original poster?! I bet the OP can rally at least 40% of the votes...count me in on his side...and this is after listening to maybe half of shows 3 and 4!
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    Just throwing this out there: Maybe some of you should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts? (if you thought the Philly shows were so bad). Or, MAYBE, i should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts? I know i have some old ears, but i thought the shows and the boots, sound REAL GOOD!
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    cutz wrote:
    Just throwing this out there: Maybe some of you should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts? (if you thought the Philly shows were so bad). Or, MAYBE, i should stop going to Pearl Jam concerts? I know i have some old ears, but i thought the shows and the boots, sound REAL GOOD!
    They sound rough, they don't quite convey the magic that I truly believe must have been there. They're good boots though, and a listen through night 3 or 4 (the only two I have) suggest decent shows with spectacular setlists - and nothing more, in my opinion.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    lebowski70lebowski70 Posts: 207
    Normally I wouldn't reply to such a post, but I found myself compelled to make public my retort.

The first thing that comes to mind is my shock to your statement, "...there is nothing special about the Philly shows"...
    It is obvious you are not from Philadelphia, but as a Pearl Jam fan it surprises me that you can't feel the magic and the energy from those shows. Had you been a part of the Spectrum's incredible history, the sound would have been different for you. I attended the last 3 Philly shows and they were life-altering as far as music goes. You also called the music "sloppy" and mentioned Eddie messing up lyrics. Do you realize that the band played a million different songs over these four nights. Some of them they barely rehearsed, so can you blame the frontman for not memorizing every single word to every single song they ever made? In addition, I happen to love it when he messes up and you see that playful smile and he acknowledges his mistake and judging by the crowd reactions, they love it as well. I loved the different riffs and unique way they delivered some songs. Why would you want to go to a live show and hear everything as if it was a studio cut? Why don't you just stay home and mix some of the studio albums and call it a concert?
    I totally disagree with you and it is not based on being born and raised in the City of Brotherly Love.
    Those shows were incredible, and the sound equaled the energy emanating from the fans. Sounds like you are just another Philadelphia hater who bases his or her opinions on the national news and the nonsense they spew from their channels...
  • Options
    Evacuation RulesEvacuation Rules Posts: 2,162
    I think they are allowed to make mistakes.

Of course they are.

My question is:

How could a show with so many bad mistakes be considered "the greatest Pearl Jam concert ever" by fans?

It's proof that people will defend a concert they attended until the end, even though the bootleg proves that the band weren't on the same page at all, save for a handful of songs.

I also love this re-occuring theory (such as in the post above) that if you hate the Philly shows, then you hate Philly as a town. That's the most assinine thing I've ever heard. Proof that you people have your heads up your collective asses.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    I think they are allowed to make mistakes.

Of course they are.

My question is:

How could a show with so many bad mistakes be considered "the greatest Pearl Jam concert ever" by fans?

It's proof that people will defend a concert they attended until the end, even though the bootleg proves that the band weren't on the same page at all, save for a handful of songs.

The people who are claiming it was so great are people who were there and experienced it. If all you're going on is bootlegs, you really can't voice an opinion of what kinda of concert it was. You could voice your opinion on what kinda of bootleg it is because you heard the bootleg. But you can't comment on the concert cause you weren't at the concert.

That all being said, I was there for all four nights and had a blast. But if I was a PJ fan who lived in the Middle East and the only way I could experience PJ by was their recordings and DVDs, then I suppose that this Philly Box might now sound as good as Live At The Gorge. But I defended it for the rarities (Hold On, Bugs, etc) which were all played quite well.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Well, I guess I have to chime in . . . I was at 3 of the Philly shows and the shows were fantastic and night 4 was special. It goes down in PJ lore. That being said, the band was not in its best form musically and its probably revealed through the bootlegs (I only have 1 and 3 as of today). Ok, not to big of a deal. I thought the '09 shows were played better as the tour progressed anyhow. But guys don't freak out; some shows/tours are musically better than others. Since 2000, my comments are:
    For the 2000 shows, the band was very consistent, played well almost every night.
    The 2003 shows were a bit sloppy at times but alot more good night than off nights.
    2004 and 2005, I thought they played very well, very consistent.
    2006 was varied, most nights on fire, but a few clucker shows,
    2007, Haven't really listened to all the shows but I suspect they played well.
    Now 2008; well I think they had more off nights than good nights. I saw them 6 times in 2008 and I put that as my least favorite tour (musically speaking),
    2009 was pretty even keeled,
    then comes 2010, I saw 5 shows and they played very well each night. I thought they played better in 2010 then the Philly run . . . but again the Philly run was special, not the greatest shows musically, and guess what, its ok to say that . . .
    But the most over-rated? C'mon the shows aren't that bad, and who is overrating or underrating, is it because of the fan reviews and the set lists, so the expectation was higher? I guess I can see that. I think one of the most overated boots is State College 03, definately some great moments but some real sloppy playing at times.
    1996: Hartford; 1998: Hartford, Mansfield I & II
    2000: Saratoga, Mansfield I & II; 2003: West Palm, Tampa, Mansfield I & II & III; 2004: Boston I & II; 2005: Montreal; 2006: Albany, Hartford, Boston I & II, East Rutherford; 2007: Lolla
    2008: Tampa, MSG I & II, Hartford, Mansfield I & II; 2009: Chicago I & II, Philly I, III & IV; 2010: Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford, Boston & MSG II.
  • Options
    lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    edited May 2010
    Well I am known enough as a boot fanatic on this board to comment on one philly boot..

I found 10/31/09 to be an "all time classic"..

and I'm a stickler for boots..

Tons of rare songs (PILATE my god!), great between song Ed speak, Mike's solo on Black is off the hook..

no I wasn't there..

wish I was..

10/30/09 sound great as well... you want in absolute tight show?.. Go see the Eagles.. ("Bore'em at the Forum".. yes?)

That's what my ears tell me..

:D
    Post edited by locked on
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Options
    probably an awesome show for the rarity seekers and hardcores, and i wish i was there, but i'm more interested in some of the other boots from that tour.
  • Options
    ya know.. our boys really did a great fucking job preforming four shows for us in philadelphia when shit was already crazy there as is with the world series. also the hype of the LAST SHOWS EVER at the spectrum... a lot was talked up, imagine the pressure they might have felt. i mean, if philadelphia was their only tour stop last year, yes, i'd expect more from them.. but after already being on tour and not even being done touring, let them be. i mean, they tried to play as many songs as possible for us song collectors and long time fans... and what are we doing? picking them apart? WHY?! i would expect them to fuck up a little bit with songs that they don't get much practice with.. and even simple songs like GTF... come on, how exhausted do you think they had to be.. really?

if anyone wants to complain that PJ might not have been 100% and might have made a fair bit more mistakes than usual... go for it. but don't do it here. that kind of pisses me off.. and really what pisses me off most about this is that the FANS in attendance seemed to care less about pearl jam and instead in between songs/encores we were hearing chants for the FUCKING BASEBALL GAME!!! REALLLY? i had a section of motherfuckers one night attached to their blackberry constantly updating on the score. it seemed that "fuck the yankees" and "let's go phillies" trumped a bit more than it should.. and that was a big buzz kill for me.. how do you think PJ felt?
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,254
    ya know.. our boys really did a great fucking job preforming four shows for us in philadelphia when shit was already crazy there as is with the world series. also the hype of the LAST SHOWS EVER at the spectrum... a lot was talked up, imagine the pressure they might have felt. i mean, if philadelphia was their only tour stop last year, yes, i'd expect more from them.. but after already being on tour and not even being done touring, let them be. i mean, they tried to play as many songs as possible for us song collectors and long time fans... and what are we doing? picking them apart? WHY?! i would expect them to fuck up a little bit with songs that they don't get much practice with.. and even simple songs like GTF... come on, how exhausted do you think they had to be.. really?

if anyone wants to complain that PJ might not have been 100% and might have made a fair bit more mistakes than usual... go for it. but don't do it here. that kind of pisses me off.. and really what pisses me off most about this is that the FANS in attendance seemed to care less about pearl jam and instead in between songs/encores we were hearing chants for the FUCKING BASEBALL GAME!!! REALLLY? i had a section of motherfuckers one night attached to their blackberry constantly updating on the score. it seemed that "fuck the yankees" and "let's go phillies" trumped a bit more than it should.. and that was a big buzz kill for me.. how do you think PJ felt?

Sorry buddy, but I would fully expect fans from Philly (or any other city) to be checking the score of their team in the World Series...even IF PJ didn't put on a half-assed show.

Philly 3 was a nightmare. It honestly seemed like they all knocked a few back prior to the show. I know Mike doesn't drink but shit, he was pretty horrible too.

I'm sorry it upsets you that people question this show, but keep in mind...these guys are human. While they are one of the greatest live bands in the world, even they can put up some stinkers from time to time and Philly was certainly one of them.

OH!

Go Blackhawks! :D
  • Options
    phungiphungi Posts: 640
    DewieCox wrote:
    History doesn't mean historic.
    Actually, it does... if you use the literal definition, you only need to meet one of the meanings... The Spectrum meets all 4 of the following:
    Main Entry: his·tor·ic
    Pronunciation: \hi-ˈstȯr-ik, -ˈstär-\
    Function: adjective
    Date: 1594

: historical: as
    a : famous or important in history <historic battlefields>
    b : having great and lasting importance <a historic occasion>
    c : known or established in the past <historic interest rates>
    d : dating from or preserved from a past time or culture <historic buildings> <historic artifacts>
    37 PJ Shows, 3 EV Shows, 1134 Total Songs, 24 Different Openers, 9 Different Closers, 252 Unique Songs (never enough)
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,429
    mca47 wrote:

Sorry buddy, but I would fully expect fans from Philly (or any other city) to be checking the score of their team in the World Series...even IF PJ didn't put on a half-assed show.

Philly 3 was a nightmare. It honestly seemed like they all knocked a few back prior to the show. I know Mike doesn't drink but shit, he was pretty horrible too.

I'm sorry it upsets you that people question this show, but keep in mind...these guys are human. While they are one of the greatest live bands in the world, even they can put up some stinkers from time to time and Philly was certainly one of them.

OH!

Go Blackhawks! :D

I guess if Philly was such a stinker, i may as well not go see PEARL JAM any more.
  • Options
    jester59388jester59388 Posts: 150
    It seems to me that the it was the HYPE that was OVER-HYPED. The shows were friggin' awesome.

As I said before, I don't care if they were the best shows ever, or whether these are the best bootlegs ever. I don't care whether the show in Bumfuck, Idaho was off the charts compared to the Spectrum shows. I don't care whether MSG1 was better than MSG2, which was better than Spectrum3, which was almost as good as LA3, which will NEVER be as good as Altlanta94 -- WHATEVER! The whole damn debate is stupid.

That said - I got my email from Kufala over the weekend and I'm hoping my box set is in the mail today. I, for one, will ENJOY them and really don't care where they rank among the umpteen hundred shows PJ has played in their almost 20-year history.
    a fool not a fucking god ....
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    first of all, the attacks on evacuation rules are ridiculous. some of you are acting like he just slapped your grandmother. he actually was making a good point. this is nothing against the band. i actually respect the band for attempting what they did during that 4 night spectrum stand. but lets be realistic here. anyone who has seen great live music other than pearl jam could attest to the fact that pearl jam is one of the sloppiest (great) live bands out there. and yeah, there are great live bands out there that mix up the setlists and play 3 hour shows without fucking up every other song. wilco and mmj to name a couple of my favorites.

i was at philly 3 and 4 and i remember feeling somewhat disappointed when i was there. some of that had to do with being far away, and the sound quality being shit in that building (from where i was sitting), but a lot of it had to do with how sloppy the performances were. the length of the show and the rarities were cool, but the band was sloppy. i rank these shows near the bottom half of the 16 shows i've been to. only thing that keeps them from the bottom were the setlists, the crowd, the passion, and just the feeling you got being in that place those nights. it was definitely special....but to flame the op for stating the obvious is ignorant.

i will say though, for anyone who got the boots, you won't be disappointed. the sound quality is fantastic. a breath of fresh air after the '08 boots and the '09 boots that came before these. they are just cool to have, all the rare songs, the banter, the length. it's great to relive if you were there, and it's great to hear if you're interested. despite the sloppiness, definitely some of my favorite bootlegs that i own.
  • Options
    to add to my last post. i think that the reason for the over-hyping of these shows is that philly clearly has more pearl jam die hards than any other city in the world. these shows are always hyped up, and even more so in this case because they were closing the spectrum. i think the band feels that pressure, and trying to live up to it may be the cause of the sloppy performances. i thought philly '05 was over-rated as well, and i was at that one too.
  • Options
    ryanevolutionryanevolution Posts: 782
    edited June 2010
    Surprise! Philly hate coming from someone with "tiki barber" screen name.

And I really don't get all the "sloppy" talk. The shows are pretty tight. What specifically are u "sloppy" guys talking about. Just listened to all of night 1 hear nothing wrong with it.

All I can think to say to you guys is "THESE BOOTS R NOT FOR YOU!!! FUCK YOU!". :P
    Post edited by ryanevolution on
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,196
    to add to my last post. i think that the reason for the over-hyping of these shows is that philly clearly has more pearl jam die hards than any other city in the world. these shows are always hyped up, and even more so in this case because they were closing the spectrum. i think the band feels that pressure, and trying to live up to it may be the cause of the sloppy performances. i thought philly '05 was over-rated as well, and i was at that one too.

tiki shouldn't you be in a dorm room with your college mistress?
  • Options

surprise. another moron. you probably didn't even read my post. and if you did, you should work on your reading comprehension skills, because there is no philly hate coming from me. just agreeing with the op about the sloppiness of the performances. the camden shows in '06 were some of my favorite pearl jam shows i've attended.
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    first of all, the attacks on evacuation rules are ridiculous. some of you are acting like he just slapped your grandmother. he actually was making a good point. this is nothing against the band. i actually respect the band for attempting what they did during that 4 night spectrum stand. but lets be realistic here. anyone who has seen great live music other than pearl jam could attest to the fact that pearl jam is one of the sloppiest (great) live bands out there. and yeah, there are great live bands out there that mix up the setlists and play 3 hour shows without fucking up every other song. wilco and mmj to name a couple of my favorites.

i was at philly 3 and 4 and i remember feeling somewhat disappointed when i was there. some of that had to do with being far away, and the sound quality being shit in that building (from where i was sitting), but a lot of it had to do with how sloppy the performances were. the length of the show and the rarities were cool, but the band was sloppy. i rank these shows near the bottom half of the 16 shows i've been to. only thing that keeps them from the bottom were the setlists, the crowd, the passion, and just the feeling you got being in that place those nights. it was definitely special....but to flame the op for stating the obvious is ignorant.

i will say though, for anyone who got the boots, you won't be disappointed. the sound quality is fantastic. a breath of fresh air after the '08 boots and the '09 boots that came before these. they are just cool to have, all the rare songs, the banter, the length. it's great to relive if you were there, and it's great to hear if you're interested. despite the sloppiness, definitely some of my favorite bootlegs that i own.

so the show sucked, but they are great boots.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    pjhawks wrote:

tiki shouldn't you be in a dorm room with your college mistress?

this is why i usually stick to the 'other music' section on these boards. it seems that the many of the die-hards who hang out on "the porch" are incapable of engaging in any kind of rational discussion without name-calling. but hey, you're a funny guy.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

surprise. another moron. you probably didn't even read my post. and if you did, you should work on your reading comprehension skills, because there is no philly hate coming from me. just agreeing with the op about the sloppiness of the performances. the camden shows in '06 were some of my favorite pearl jam shows i've attended.

Don't feel bad. I got attacked in another thread for the Philly hate and I don't even think I've said anything about the particular show.
  • Options
    81 wrote:

so the show sucked, but they are great boots.

the show didn't suck. it was just over-hyped. the sound quality from my seat, and the sloppiness of the performance made it one of the weaker shows i've attended. hey, maybe if i was in the tenth row i'd be singing a different tune, but as it is, that's my story. but yeah, the boots sound fantastic and are cool to hear because of the song selections and energy.
  • Options
    RedMosquito22RedMosquito22 Posts: 8,158
    I think the song selection and energy are overrated. :lol:

Honestly though, the Spectrum 2003 show was better than any of the 4 '09 shows. Setlist wise it won't show that but band and crowd wise it's not even close. The '09 shows meant more to me though.
    Member 164xxx

8/15/92, 9/28/96, 8/28/98, 8/29/98, 9/18/98, 8/3/00, 8/9/00, 8/10/00, 8/23/00, 8/25/00, 9/1/00, 9/2/00, 4/28/03, 6/18/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 6/19/08, 10/27/09, 10/31/09, 5/21/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/21/13

More to Come....
  • Options
    Surprise! Philly hate coming from someone with "tiki barber" screen name.[
    /quote]

You said they fucked up every other song. They did not. You said the sound was shit in the building. And you were disappointed during the shows. AND that these shows r in the bottom of all the shows you've seen. That is a good deal of dislike if not hate
    Evolution Music Studios presents:
    DO THE EVOLUTION - a 20th Anniversary Tribute Celebration
    of PEARL JAM - WORLD CAFE LIVE PHILLY JUNE 19th 7pm
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    Sound quality..... I remember someone posting a while back (and I don't remember if it was this board or another band's board) that they realized that part of their problem with perception of sound quality was related to their own hearing damage. If your hearing isn't 100%, you might think the sound isn't that good, but you don't have full facilities to judge. Not saying that's the case on any particular person, but perception of sound quality might be related to something to do with you, rather than what the band is putting out.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,465
    I don't care whether the show in Bumfuck, Idaho was off the charts compared to the Spectrum shows.

Bumfuck, Idaho was a highly underrated show!
    first of all, the attacks on evacuation rules are ridiculous. some of you are acting like he just slapped your grandmother. he actually was making a good point.
    +1

Philly people seem to take it as a personal attack. :roll:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    but seriously, who cares that its the last show played at a stadium? who cares? they get torn down all the time.

i just want to hear night 1. that looks awesome to me.
This discussion has been closed.