Pearl Jam 101

cymbolic_musiccymbolic_music Posts: 13
edited December 2007 in The Porch
Hey guys. I would greatly appreciate any input on this one.
Recently two of my best buds started listening to pearl jam. Both of them got into WWS on the radio recently, and being progressive types, they dug it. Now that it's J-Term and we have a lil extra time, they want me to organize a day of listening/watching pearl jam.
What I want help on is the organization. Should I go chronological? Topical? Themes (like sad songs, angry songs, etc)?
I have everything they've put out be it music or video, and I have favorited a lot of youtube stuff. Any suggestions?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• always start with vitalogy
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    i've always advocated a short cd of their best known tracks. i think a lot of people know and like more pearl jam than they realize. something like:

alive
    even flow
    jeremy
    black
    daughter
    elderly woman
    dissident
    corduroy
    betterman
    tremor christ
    given to fly
    nothing as it seems
    wws
    life wasted
    hard sun (just for shits, since it's popular)
    yellow ledbetter
  • LATG is a great DVD.... I would have that in the days plans.

Album wise, if they love the newer songs of Pearl Jam, then try the Avo, maybe go back and forth from old skool to new.

Sounds like its gonna be a great day anyway! Just go where the mood takes you all :)
    he who forgets will be destined to remember
  • I always choose chronological so the listener can hear the maturation of the band. I choose to do this both recorded and live if I can.

So far most have enjoyed that even though quite a few say they like the later stuff better than the early tracks. They like to have a foundation to why they are where they are now.
  • i would get all of your favorite tracks and make two cds of them; 1 with the studio versions the other live. i think it shows them how different the band is
    Small my table, seats just 3, its not crowded, its just lucky me
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    unplugged
    corduroy from the brdige
    riafw from pinkpop 92

now take them for their tattoo
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Lucky you, I wish my friends would ask me to organize a day of Pearl Jam listening. That would be sweet.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,225
    Let them see pinkpop 92
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • My experience here in my neck of the woods has been that most people don't realize PJ exists beyond vitology and some of their best music came after that. Treat them to more of the goodness you dont get on the radio shit like Down, Undone, MFC, In My Tree, Present Tense, Marker, etc. That way you can give them a good feel for what they have been missing all these years.
    milwaukee '95, alpine valley '00 & '03, St. Paul '06, Lolla '07
    "won't someone..... save the world"
  • Good advice. I've decided to break out my bootlegs for this one more than i would...so much good live stuff.

And yes I was going to use Pinkpop 92 for sure
  • Every year for about the last five years, myself and my two friends (the only two in our group who like PJ) have got together on 23rd December (Eddie's birthday) and had a 'Pearl Jam Day'. This basically involves watching dozens of DVDs, listening to all the albums in order (starting with Ten at 10am) and drinking (obviously).

We're doing it this Sunday so if anybody lives near Southend-on-Sea, Essex, UK (probably very few of you i know) then feel free to 'get involved' so to speak.
    ***Astoria, UK - 2006***
    ***Reading, UK - 2006***
    ***Wembley, UK - 2007***
    ***Nijmegen, Holland - 2007***

http://www.myspace.com/theeasymorningrebel
  • i'd start by eating a bunch of mushrooms and listening to Binaural while frolicing through the woods...

good times, good times
    peace
  • OK, here's what you do. You tell these kids to do a little homework - easy enough to do. They come to the PJ Night, or "session", and let them play some of their early fave's, and let em convince each other why these songs are so killer.
    You gather you beers, forms of encouragement or whatever, and just surround yourself with PJ...if you think they can handle that. The more they get into PJ, those future nights branch out to live versions, videos, covers, ect.

Just have fun with it, whatever you do.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    three words - S. V. T.
    :D:D:D
  • The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    can't go wrong with footsteps and immortality. and play them the version of 'go' from touring band. have they seen the video for 'do the evolution'? but try and stay away from songs like 'come back' and 'light years'...they might not dig those songs, especially with 3 dudes sitting around listening to them together.
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Hey guys. I would greatly appreciate any input on this one.
    Recently two of my best buds started listening to pearl jam. Both of them got into WWS on the radio recently, and being progressive types, they dug it. Now that it's J-Term and we have a lil extra time, they want me to organize a day of listening/watching pearl jam.
    What I want help on is the organization. Should I go chronological? Topical? Themes (like sad songs, angry songs, etc)?
    I have everything they've put out be it music or video, and I have favorited a lot of youtube stuff. Any suggestions?
    i say chronological... break it into units like a classroom... play the CD of that era to begin class and then bring in interviews, live concert footage, and other available media after that... it toootally helps to understand the background (historically and emotionally) before going into pearl jam... maybe even give em a lil GR and MLB for further background on stone and jeff... i always found the history of the formation and early years of the band to be some of the heaviest stuff... dont rush the process tho... PJ takes time to sink in, process, and fully appreciate... id make it a week of PJ rather than a day... break it done thusly:

Day 1) Pre-PJ history & Ten
    Day 2) Vs. & Vitalogy (the Dave A. Years)
    Day 3 & 4) No Code (this ones complicated and great so devote 2 days)
    Day 5 & 6) Yield (the best and richest time for PJ and SVT is great too)
    Day 7) Binaural & Riot Act (meh) (matts cool tho)

that should get them caught up with everything up to the latest album, which is essentially IMO a ecclectic mix of elements of each of the prior albums... i didnt wanna just squeeze self-titled in there on day 7 too so they'll have some outside of class homework... and for the final exam they must attend a PJ show for the full experience :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    1. pry to
    2. bugs
    3. stupid mop
    4. i'm open
    5. red dot
    6. push me pull me
    7. arc
    8. wasted reprise

if they don't love it tell them your friendship is over, cause you don't like
    hanging with mtv faggots.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • Yeah, Single Video is a perfect start. Still my favorite of the dvd's.
    "You can bomb the world to pieces, but you can't bomb it to peace".