Saw Into the wild again

DickieDickie Posts: 26
edited December 2007 in The Porch
And holy fucking shit what an incredible fucking movie that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It´s even better the second time. It´s so....perfect. I cried all the time.

And now I feel high as a kite again. Can´t concentrate on anything. I think this film will amount to amazing things in the future.

Its the "Catcher in rie" of the new millenium. Mixed with "2001". People are going to see this over and over, and pass it over to the next generations. And ed wrote the score for it.

out.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    Dickie wrote:
    And holy fucking shit what an incredible fucking movie that is!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It´s even better the second time. It´s so....perfect. I cried all the time.

And now I feel high as a kite again. Can´t concentrate on anything. I think this film will amount to amazing things in the future.

Its the "Catcher in rie" of the new millenium. Mixed with "2001". People are going to see this over and over, and pass it over to the next generations. And ed wrote the score for it.

out.
    i have only seen it once but think about it often. the one thought i have had that keeps me thinking is.

mccandless wants to get away from the industrial machine in a remote location......yet, he locates the remote location and lives in the industrial machine (bus). i am not trying to take away from his journey, but the irony is there.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • I saw it twice and look forward to buying the DVD! Of course Eddie doing the soundtrack did not hurt the movie!! It was really cool because I listened to the soundtrack for about a month before I saw the movie and it was like I already saw it in my mind...Eddie really captured the spirit of the journey!
  • The ChampThe Champ Posts: 4,063
    You saw it twice? Yes, it was a good movie, but I almost fell asleep in the middle of it. Something about this dumb, lonely, confused, selfish, virgin outcast kid didn't sit right with me. Sad story nonetheless..Please don't compare to 'Catcher in the Rye.'
    'I want to hurry home to you
    put on a slow, dumb show for you
    and crack you up
    so you can put a blue ribbon on my brain
    god I'm very, very frightening
    and I'll overdo it'
  • DickieDickie Posts: 26
    The Champ wrote:
    You saw it twice? Yes, it was a good movie, but I almost fell asleep in the middle of it. Something about this dumb, lonely, confused, selfish, virgin outcast kid didn't sit right with me. Sad story nonetheless..Please don't compare to 'Catcher in the Rye.'

Oh yes twice. And I cant wait to see it for the forth and fifth time. I really think it is that well made and important.

And lonely? Come on you need too look at it further than that. People who can be alone and who are comfortable by themselves are the blessed ones - the ones with real insight. Everyone who escapes loneliness by clinging on to someone else, even though it´s someone they don´t really love, they are the lonely ones...

Supertramp was a great man.
  • Dylan StoneDylan Stone Posts: 1,145
    Dickie wrote:
    Everyone who escapes loneliness by clinging on to someone else, even though it´s someone they don´t really love, they are the lonely ones...

Have no fear
    For when I'm alone
    I'll be better off
    Than I was before
  • UpSideDownUpSideDown Posts: 1,966
    ajedigecko wrote:
    i have only seen it once but think about it often. the one thought i have had that keeps me thinking is.

mccandless wants to get away from the industrial machine in a remote location......yet, he locates the remote location and lives in the industrial machine (bus). i am not trying to take away from his journey, but the irony is there.

I think that is part of the story though. Chris wasnt supposed to have all of the answers or be perfect. He just wanted to find his own way.
  • callencallen Posts: 6,388
    ajedigecko wrote:

wasn't the machines he was avoiding, it was society..man.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    The Champ wrote:

We all get to have our opinions I guess, but he was at least an original in his own right.

I want to see it again, but it scaled back to some distant theatres again after it opened up to some more available ones. Did it happen by you as well?
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • The Champ wrote:

Yeah, the kid definitely had a form of Bipolar disorder that went undiagnosed. He was a confused, emotionally immature boy. A "great man?" Gimme a break! Great people save the world. Those who idealize and idolize this boy do so because they can identify with the internal emotional turmoil that he was avoiding. Too bad he didn't take responsibility for his mental health and confront his issues...I'm sure he could have led a productive live, maybe he chould have saved the world, thus becoming a "great man."
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • for what I saw of the film. I recognise so much of myself. Because of the pain inflicted on me throughout my youth I deliberatly turned away from the person who hurt me. For ten years I turned away ( no I didnt flee into the wild) but I did flee none the less. It was only the birth of my child that I returned to share my joy, I wouldnt rob my child her family and those who hurt me theirs either
    he didnt flee society, it was his parents and the torment they inflicted upon him during his formulative years. Some of PJ's best words ( I HOLD THE PAIN .... RELEASE ME) come to mind.
    he made bad decisions yes but to me he was searching for inner peace and to find his way.
    In the end he realised you really cannot experience joy unless you have somebody to share it with
    AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE
  • DickieDickie Posts: 26
    Yeah, the kid definitely had a form of Bipolar disorder that went undiagnosed. He was a confused, emotionally immature boy. A "great man?" Gimme a break! Great people save the world. Those who idealize and idolize this boy do so because they can identify with the internal emotional turmoil that he was avoiding. Too bad he didn't take responsibility for his mental health and confront his issues...I'm sure he could have led a productive world, maybe he chould have saved the world and become a "great man."

This is so typical. As soon as a person goes the oppsite direction of everybody else and actually acts on his/hers innermost emotions, they get psychobullshit-analysed. This is a huge problem in todays society. Something is "wrong" with them, it is told. When the truth is something is very right with them. This is, I think, a question wich is at the core of the movie. The guy takes matter in his own hands for heaven´s sake!! Sure he´s confused! Sure he´s "emotionally immature"! But who´the fuck isn´t?? That is not an interesting angle. One that is, however, is that McCandless followed his heart in a way no one does, or at least extremely few - and that is why I will keep saying he was and is a great man! You say great people save the world. Well Supertramp has had a masterpiece movie made of him. I think that says a lot.

dicke
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    Dickie wrote:
    This is so typical. As soon as a person goes the oppsite direction of everybody else and actually acts on his/hers innermost emotions, they get psychobullshit-analysed. This is a huge problem in todays society. Something is "wrong" with them, it is told. When the truth is something is very right with them. This is, I think, a question wich is at the core of the movie. The guy takes matter in his own hands for heaven´s sake!! Sure he´s confused! Sure he´s "emotionally immature"! But who´the fuck isn´t?? That is not an interesting angle. One that is, however, is that McCandless followed his heart in a way no one does, or at least extremely few - and that is why I will keep saying he was and is a great man! You say great people save the world. Well Supertramp has had a masterpiece movie made of him. I think that says a lot.

dicke

yeah, I agree.......a lot of things we could have these days you know? I am diagnosed with adhd but I do believe from what I know and see (one of my sons have it to too) that the diagnosis is accurate.

and in a totally different way but along the same thoughts as what to think about this guy, Chris McCandless I have a story about my dad and what the dr said after my dad died while recovering from a lung removal operation. He said that the description of a hero is not the outcome of the decission but instead it is about "making a decision in the face of fear".

McCandless made a decision in that way. It doesn't matter why or if he was diagnosed with some disorder, sometimes we have to look harder at things but there are a lot of times when we just have to take it all for face value and nothing more and certainly nothing that is asking for our blessings......

anyway, the weird thing is that our society has turned what is normal into what is abnormal and the things once thought of as messed up are really the norm these days.
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    callen wrote:
    wasn't the machines he was avoiding, it was society..man.
    i use the term "machine" in a vague manner that would include society. with society being the driving force of the machine.

again....i have some respect for mccandless.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I liked the book a little more than the movie (I read it first, after all), but the movie was fantastic. The book was life-changing.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win