Options

How awesome is MMJ Z?!?

RoadTripperRoadTripper Posts: 67
edited March 2010 in Other Music
I just picked this gem up on vinyl and had the cd for years now. Dondante blows me away everytime I hear it. I think I can put them in a Floyd comparison as for structure and overall emotion both given off from the muusic and felt by the music while listening.

Music could save the world.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    one of my alltime favorite albums. there's not a dud on that record at all.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    GiventoFallGiventoFall Posts: 217
    One of my favorite albums and MMJ's masterpiece. Thanks to pearl jam for introducing me to them on their self titled album tour, luckly i bought their best album first.
    Get over here!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Great album and a pretty good band, but lets not get carried away. Not near the level of PF.
  • Options
    Ok maybe I did get carried away with the comparison. They are amazing and I thank Pj too for them. I think one of the greatest things about pj's tours are who they bring along with them (except for Robert pollard, the drunk skunk I expereinced in Pittsburgh). I love that they have band of horses and black keys. Two very unique breeds of music.
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    edited March 2010
    now dont bite my head off, but i am not saying they are better thank pink floyd but i think mmj has far more range than pink floyd. pink floyd did what they did better than anybody else. mmj can do a whole lot more with the scope of their music i think. but nevermind all that. this is not a comparision thread. sorry
    Post edited by jr19 on
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    One of my favorite albums and MMJ's masterpiece. Thanks to pearl jam for introducing me to them on their self titled album tour, luckly i bought their best album first.

That sounds exactly like how I discovered them.

Z is awesome. At Dawn is great. MMJ just kicks huge ass.

Okonokos is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    jr19jr19 Posts: 338
    dcfaithful wrote:

That sounds exactly like how I discovered them.

Z is awesome. At Dawn is great. MMJ just kicks huge ass.

Okonokos is one of the best live albums I've ever heard.
    agreed on okonokos. i got it from netflix and kept it like a month before i sent it back. haha!!
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    jr19 wrote:
    now dont bite my head off, but i am not saying they are better thank pink floyd but i think mmj has far more range than pink floyd. pink floyd did what they did better than anybody else. mmj can do a whole lot more with the scope of their music i think. but nevermind all that. this is not a comparision thread. sorry

I think Floyd is more consistent with a pretty similar range of sounds, and a couple other reasons separate them, Gilmour, Gilmour and Gilmour. Floyd's diversity is constantly overlooked, but like you said this is a celebration of MMJ and more particularly one of the the greatest modern day albums.

Laylow is i a jam of the highest order.

Into the Woods has to be one of the greatest sorta weird quirky album tunes.

Chills is pretty cool, only wish they woulda found a place within the tracklist and not just slapped it on the end of the vinyl.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    "Gideon" is just about the greatest thing ever.
  • Options
    pjfan021pjfan021 Posts: 684
    great album, just listened to it still moves today. Love knot comes loose, gideon, and dondante. Great album and great band.
  • Options
    FenwayFaithfulFenwayFaithful Posts: 8,626
    Z = melting faces
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    amen to that
  • Options
    LiftedLifted Posts: 1,643
    jr19 wrote:

i agree jr. i don't think comparing the two or suggesting them mmj is in many ways superior would be "getting carried away" at all.
  • Options
    BenzorBenzor Posts: 886
    Z is a masterpiece...which just makes it even more amazing how bad evil urges is.
  • Options
    Benzor wrote:
    which just makes it even more amazing how bad evil urges is.
    I couldn't disagree more with you on this one. Evil Urges might be my favorite album of the last 10 years by any artist.
    "FF, I've heard the droning about the Sawx being the baby dolls. Yeah, I get it, you guys invented baseball and suffered forever. I get it." -JearlPam0925
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Benzor wrote:
    Z is a masterpiece...which just makes it even more amazing how bad evil urges is.

really? i thought it was a great record! not as great as some of their earlier records, but still great in its own right. to each, their own.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    MysteryTrainMysteryTrain Singapore Posts: 1,188
    Whenever I think of Z, I think of the song 'Lay Low'.
  • Options
    kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,323
    I think it's a fantastic album by one of the greatest bands alive, but I've never liked "Into the Woods". That's my only issue with the album. It's just a very lackluster song in the middle of a bunch of great, great songs. I skip right over to Anytime everytime I listen to that disc.
  • Options
    samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    I haven't listened to the album much, but the few times I did listen I was really impressed with what I heard!
    Gideon's probably my favorite right now.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • Options
    rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    Benzor wrote:

i liked evil urges...it's quite impossible to follow up an album like z though.

lay low is one of my favorites...such a jammy song.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Options
    Only song that I'm not a fan of on Z is What a Wonderful Man. I don't know why it irks me when I hear it. With the vinyl, I can't skip it so maybe it'll grow on me.
  • Options
    Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Z = melting faces

Agreed!!!
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • Options
    dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Only song that I'm not a fan of on Z is What a Wonderful Man. I don't know why it irks me when I hear it. With the vinyl, I can't skip it so maybe it'll grow on me.

You could still skip it, although it's not as convenient as pressing a button.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • Options
    How awesome is it? Pretty fucking awesome. I heard Gideon one night, the next day I bought all of their albums. It was like Stan on American Dad I'm telling ya.

8x09s0jpg.gif
  • Options
    8x09s0jpg.gif
    Thank you for posting that. I still love that.
  • Options
    You're very welcome. I still have it on my DVR. :lol:
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    A fellow PJ fan introduced me to MMJ a few years ago and I've been in love ever since. I saw them in Detroit in '08, then saw Monsters of Folk (Jim James supergroup) twice in November, then saw Jim James solo at the Seelbach in Louisville on Valentine's Day. I'm taking my family to see them (the kids love them too) in Columbus this May.

Jim James inspired me to learn to play guitar. I can now play a mess of MMJ on my acoustic.

And yes, that episode of American Dad hit pretty close to home.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    love it
  • Options
    Dog Loyal wrote:

Every die hard has that Stan Smith moment. I would bet that most could even name the song like I did. :lol:
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    Dog Loyal wrote:

Every die hard has that Stan Smith moment. I would bet that most could even name the song like I did. :lol:
    Absolutely. War Begun.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.