Came across this article about Nirvana blocking an SNL skit making fun of Eddie

walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
edited January 2008 in The Porch
Completely random how I came across it, but here it is:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,308293,00.html

Text:

Pop Culture News
MAKING IT VEDDER

Nirvana has changed its tune about Pearl Jam. Although Kurt Cobain once savaged Eddie Vedder (''I do feel a duty to warn the kids of false music that's claiming to be underground,'' Cobain said in a 1992 interview), Nirvana blocked a plan to rib Vedder during its Sept. 25 appearance on Saturday Night Live. Bassist Krist Novoselic asked producers to cut Adam Sand- ler's skit about Vedder. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are planning to do a joint benefit concert for FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting), and Nirvana was worried about how Pearl Jam would take the bit, in which Sandler appeared in a tangly Vedder wig humming the group's ''Even Flow.'' ''Adam's eyes sort of rolled back in his head, and he did the sort of smile Eddie does,'' says Jim Merlis, Nirvana's publicist. ''You couldn't hear what he was saying except for, 'We have a new record out too.''' Sandler said the skit would air on Oct. 2. Vedder had no comment, but a source close to the singer doubts it would faze him: ''Eddie doesn't mind being made fun of.''
Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• mdgsolomdgsolo Posts: 782
    Completely random how I came across it, but here it is:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,308293,00.html

Text:

Pop Culture News
    MAKING IT VEDDER

Nirvana has changed its tune about Pearl Jam. Although Kurt Cobain once savaged Eddie Vedder (''I do feel a duty to warn the kids of false music that's claiming to be underground,'' Cobain said in a 1992 interview), Nirvana blocked a plan to rib Vedder during its Sept. 25 appearance on Saturday Night Live. Bassist Krist Novoselic asked producers to cut Adam Sand- ler's skit about Vedder. Nirvana and Pearl Jam are planning to do a joint benefit concert for FAIR (Fairness and Accuracy in Reporting), and Nirvana was worried about how Pearl Jam would take the bit, in which Sandler appeared in a tangly Vedder wig humming the group's ''Even Flow.'' ''Adam's eyes sort of rolled back in his head, and he did the sort of smile Eddie does,'' says Jim Merlis, Nirvana's publicist. ''You couldn't hear what he was saying except for, 'We have a new record out too.''' Sandler said the skit would air on Oct. 2. Vedder had no comment, but a source close to the singer doubts it would faze him: ''Eddie doesn't mind being made fun of.''

Curious.
  • I've always thought the media fabricated most of the friction b/t Nirvana & Pearl Jam.
    the Minions
  • BinGnarlyBinGnarly Posts: 508
    Adam Sandler mocked them when Pearl Jam was on SNL. He did opera man and mumbled a bunch of stuff off. But Sandlers a huge fan from what I've heard so it was all in good fun. But that was nice of Nirvana.
    Shows:
    San Diego 2003
    Grand Rapids 2004
    Grand Rapids 2006
    Detroit 2006
    Columbus 2010

"With my own two hands I can change the world."
  • wma11wma11 Posts: 790
    I could totally see that happening back then...with the grunge era taking hold and people taking shots at Ed...and Krist is friends with our band (was on MonkeyWrench 95 & 98) so that makes sense...funny though...
    I met my wife here...you can too! Don't lose hope!
  • godpt3godpt3 Posts: 1,020
    BinGnarly wrote:
    Adam Sandler mocked them when Pearl Jam was on SNL. He did opera man and mumbled a bunch of stuff off. But Sandlers a huge fan from what I've heard so it was all in good fun. But that was nice of Nirvana.

I guess Sandler was the one who suggested to the Reign Over Me director that he get Pearl Jam to do the song for the movie.
    "If all those sweet, young things were laid end to end, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised."
    —Dorothy Parker

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/6902/conspiracytheoriesxt6qt8.jpg
  • godpt3 wrote:
    I guess Sandler was the one who suggested to the Reign Over Me director that he get Pearl Jam to do the song for the movie.

Actually, Adam Sandler asked Ed personally after the 2006 show in LA.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • i didn't know sandler was still doing SNL. good for him.
  • potluckpotluck Posts: 170
    i didn't know sandler was still doing SNL. good for him.
    no...i think you've got something confused. Sandler doesnt work for SNL and the context of this discussion took place more than ten years ago.
    06/24/1998 SD
    10/12/2000 KS
    06/13/2003 IA
    06/15/2003 ND
    06/16/2003 Mn
    06/21/2003 WI
    10/05/2004 MO
    10/08/2004 FL
    09/08/2005 MB
    09/09/2005 ON
    05/17/2006 IL
    05/19/2006 MI
    07/02/2006 CO
    08/05/2007 Lolla
    06/14/2008 B'roo

Kill Fascists.... or at least make them realize what they are.
  • walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    potluck wrote:
    no...i think you've got something confused. Sandler doesnt work for SNL and the context of this discussion took place more than ten years ago.

Yes...and Nirvana is no longer around, just FYI. :D
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • I've always thought the media fabricated most of the friction b/t Nirvana & Pearl Jam.

the media fabricated so much, if people only knew the truth about half of it, they wouldn't believe it. Such a shame.
    ~Changing the world...one person at a time~
    ~www.myspace.com/laurababy0105~
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    BinGnarly wrote:
    Exactly, and it was Opera Man singing Even Flow, well not the words, but I remember "Opera man a big fan of pearl jamo" to the speed/tone of even flow!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Yes...and Nirvana is no longer around, just FYI. :D
    LMAO!!!!!! ;)
    pjtaper wrote:
    Exactly, and it was Opera Man singing Even Flow, well not the words, but I remember "Opera man a big fan of pearl jamo" to the speed/tone of even flow!
    And, Opera Man also sang "Eddie Vedder is even more good looking in person-O"

Love it!!
  • poto101poto101 Posts: 382
    wish he didnt have a girlfriend-o

i'm not syaing im gay its just that there comes a time in every mans life when he questions his own sexuality---ooohhhh yeah.
    It's all happening....

East Troy 2003
    Chicago x2, Summerfest x2, 2006
    Chicago THE VIC, Lollapalooza, 2007
    bonnaROOOOOOO 2008
    Chicago x2 2009

(EV chicago 2008 night 2)
    poto101 wrote:
    wish he didnt have a girlfriend-o

i'm not syaing im gay its just that there comes a time in every mans life when he questions his own sexuality---ooohhhh yeah.
    that was so funny!!!!!!!!!!!1 I have it TiVo'ed and watch it sometimes and crack up
  • CitizenRickCitizenRick Posts: 1,079
    Nirvana should have used the same discretion when it came to MTV interviews as well.

I don't see how the media could've "played" that up. Kurt said what he said and that's the bottom line.

"I just think their band sucks...ha ha ha ha"

Major lable + Videos + MTV appearences + SNL appearences + adding guitarist for stadium rock sound =....HYPOCRITE!

The media just took what he gave them and ran with it.
    "Had my eyes peeled both wide open, and I got a glimpse...of my innocense, got back my inner sence, baby got it...still got it"
  • the media fabricated so much, if people only knew the truth about half of it, they wouldn't believe it. Such a shame.

Do you know the truth? Seriously, like I know a little bit about how Eddie and Kurt finally buried the hatchet...but what was the real story??
    IT MIGHT BE YOUR GUILE, IT COULD BE YOUR MIND...IT MIGHT BE THE WAY YOU TAKE YOUR TIME....OH, YOU, YOU, YOU
  • Nirvana should have used the same discretion when it came to MTV interviews as well.

I don't see how the media could've "played" that up. Kurt said what he said and that's the bottom line.

"I just think their band sucks...ha ha ha ha"

To be fair, that same interview segment starts with something like "I don't have anything against him. In fact I've met him. I think he's a nice guy." ... "I just think their band sucks."

Look.

Kurt was a "true" punk-ethos art-rock snob ... Pearl Jam very much were a 70's arena rock inspired band (remember Jeff in the Aerosmith hat in Singles? He said in an interview that he would have loved nothing more than to be in 70's era Aerosmith, once) ...

That just didn't go over well with what Kurt saw as "respectable".

Misguided or not.

I agree with Eddie in that i think if Kurt had managed to fight off his demons instead of succumb, that he would have come to appreciate what they were trying to do in Pearl Jam.

Kurt certainly respected the ever loving shit out of Stipe and REM ... and PJ sure took a nod from that "your industry status-quo bullshit can't phase me, we're a fucking band, and we'll do what the fuck we want" attitude.

Saw Stipe talking about Kurt in an interview on TV the other day, about the failed plan designed to get him to fly to Athens and record with Michael.

Sigh.
    :(
    If I was to smile and I held out my hand
    If I opened it now would you not understand?