Autograph Question?

acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
edited January 2008 in The Porch
A few people in my wife's office got together and got me an Eddie Vedder autographed pick guard for my birthday a few years ago. It come with a certificate of authenticity from a respected company. I questioned it before b/c the signature looks different then others that I have seen. But, the more I look at other EV signatures, the more I notice that he signs his name differently all the time. So i think its legit.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
Sweep the Leg Johnny.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569
    COA's mean nothing imho. what's a respectable company? one you can find on ebay or who has a site on the internet? to me, that carries very little weight.

while ed has signed very differently over the years, there are some similarities. compare, compare, compare. most of the stuff on ebay is fake, though. no matter how many pictures they have of themselves standing next to ed.

unless you want to post a link to a picture for people here to take a look and give opinions, your best bet for authentication is to send it to the 10c and see what they say...

there are people here who have gotten them first hand and will pm you pictures of their stuff, i'm sure. let me know if you want to see a couple i have....

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged
  • evenflowmanevenflowman Posts: 1,345
    That is true last night i got some matt cameron autos and they were all different i have had the oppertunity to get mike several times and they are all different a certifact doesnt mean anything it is just a piece of paper it is all on how well that company is known alot of companys close due to fakes or there autos are questionable so the only way to knwo if it i was real is if u got it and that is it but if u think it is real then enjoy it for yourself it isnt liek u are selling it yuo know
    actually dont send it to the 10 c u will never get it back the only wasy is to send it to get psadna it here is some info to help u

http://www.psadna.com/cobrands/why.chtml?cobrandid=25
    actually dont send it to the 10 c u will never get it back the only wasy is to send it to get psadna it here is some info to help u

• A few people in my wife's office got together and got me an Eddie Vedder autographed pick guard for my birthday a few years ago. It come with a certificate of authenticity from a respected company. I questioned it before b/c the signature looks different then others that I have seen. But, the more I look at other EV signatures, the more I notice that he signs his name differently all the time. So i think its legit.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

You're just going to get a lot of opinions here. Pearl Jam has signed thousands of items thru the years. There are also lots of fake stuff.
    One thing about COA's, they are legally binding, so if it's fake you can sue whoever certified it and That is somewhat reassuring.
    If you think its real...that's all that matters.
    the Minions
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,449
    You're just going to get a lot of opinions here. Pearl Jam has signed thousands of items thru the years. There are also lots of fake stuff.
    One thing about COA's, they are legally binding, so if it's fake you can sue whoever certified it and That is somewhat reassuring.
    If you think its real...that's all that matters.

LOL :D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • 100 Pacer wrote:
    LOL :D

^this guy will tell you it's fake:D

he says all PJ autographs are fake and he's 100% sure.

we argue this alot but i still love him because he's just another knucklehead
    the Minions
    ^this guy will tell you it's fake:D

he says all PJ autographs are fake and he's 100% sure.

we argue this alot but i still love him because he's just another knucklehead

nope, sorry, i only call the fake autographs fake, because they're quite obvious to spot,...just like fake posters, the tell-tale signs are there, but "if you believe it's real, then it's real" is apparently the motto one has to stick to,...ignorance is bliss lol

and for the record, we've never argued in posts,...others have asked for opinions, myself and some others have shared opinions and in MANY cases backed up those opinions with evidence/facts, and all you chime in with is the occasional "it's not fake, everyone is entitled to determine for themselves if an item is fake,...and if you suspect it's fake, why not go and sue the company that provided the COA because a COA is more reassuring than comparing a fake to the real thing and calling out the fake!"

as i said before, nothing but LOLs :D
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • what it really comes down to IMO is:

what value does an autograph have to you if you werent there in person at the time of the signing?...

youll know for sure that its real if you get it signed yourself AND it will signify a special memory instead of just existing no different than times new roman or helvetica

for the sake of those that paid for yours tho, i hope its real :D
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • dangerboydangerboy Posts: 1,569

i didn't mean actually send the item to 10c, i meant send them pictures.

ebay isn't evil people are

The South is Much Obliged

the 10C has offered to examine signatures and verify them, but they can only do so with the item in their presence, and i don't imagine it would be very difficult for them to do so, especially if one of the band members just happens to be in the office that day hehe :)

and regardless whether the autograph turns out to be real or fake, what makes you think the 10C wouldn't send you the item back?

• 100 Pacer wrote:
    nope, sorry, i only call the fake autographs fake, because they're quite obvious to spot,...just like fake posters, the tell-tale signs are there, but "if you believe it's real, then it's real" is apparently the motto one has to stick to,...ignorance is bliss lol

and for the record, we've never argued in posts,...others have asked for opinions, myself and some others have shared opinions and in MANY cases backed up those opinions with evidence/facts, and all you chime in with is the occasional "it's not fake, everyone is entitled to determine for themselves if an item is fake,...and if you suspect it's fake, why not go and sue the company that provided the COA because a COA is more reassuring than comparing a fake to the real thing and calling out the fake!"

One question to you.

Have you always signed every signature the same way your entire life?
    the Minions
    One question to you.

Have you always signed every signature the same way your entire life?

to answer your question, No. to further elaborate on the point you're trying to make, the issue at hand is/was NEVER about a suggestion (at least not from me) that a signature was fake because "it wasn't signed the same way every time",...the assertion made was a signature was fake because it was such a POOR attempt at forgery that it was almost laughable to call the signature real! to say an autograph is real when it's clearly like NO other previous examples of said autograph is to simply call attention to the fact there are potential issues, if not clear evidence the signature is bogus, it's not to say the signature is fake because it is nothing like a signature from the same individual done in the past,...

but i tell you what, let's bring in an example: this caught my eye a couple of days ago on eBay (say what you will about eBay, signed PJ items on eBay, etc.,...i'm only bringing attention to this auction for the purposes of this thread):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Eddie-Vedder-Signed-Guitar-with-Artwork_W0QQitemZ200195001180QQihZ010QQcategoryZ53267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now, i already have an opinion as to whether the signature on the item in this auction is real or fake, but that's not the issue, according to you,...the issue is that a signature will never look the same despite many examples of the same signature being compared to one another and some very clear, striking similarities being obvious. for argument's sake, the sketch of a wave was a "nice touch" to the guitar, i say that because in my opinion this signature is a fake. but what do you think? what's your call on the item? i ask because, as you said, it all comes down to what a person "believes to be true/real" BUT i'm willing to bet many others would take one quick look at the signature in the auction above and dismiss it as fake purely because they've seen enough examples of the real signature to be able to spot the subtle differences, JUST AS those who produce the fake signatures have been able to pick up on the subtle nuances of the real signature to duplicate it (somewhat poorly) and sell it claiming it's real,...

• 100 Pacer wrote:
    to answer your question, No. to further elaborate on the point you're trying to make, the issue at hand is/was NEVER about a suggestion (at least not from me) that a signature was fake because "it wasn't signed the same way every time",...the assertion made was a signature was fake because it was such a POOR attempt at forgery that it was almost laughable to call the signature real! to say an autograph is real when it's clearly like NO other previous examples of said autograph is to simply call attention to the fact there are potential issues, if not clear evidence the signature is bogus, it's not to say the signature is fake because it is nothing like a signature from the same individual done in the past,...

but i tell you what, let's bring in an example: this caught my eye a couple of days ago on eBay (say what you will about eBay, signed PJ items on eBay, etc.,...i'm only bringing attention to this auction for the purposes of this thread):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Jam-Eddie-Vedder-Signed-Guitar-with-Artwork_W0QQitemZ200195001180QQihZ010QQcategoryZ53267QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

now, i already have an opinion as to whether the signature on the item in this auction is real or fake, but that's not the issue, according to you,...the issue is that a signature will never look the same despite many examples of the same signature being compared to one another and some very clear, striking similarities being obvious. for argument's sake, the sketch of a wave was a "nice touch" to the guitar, i say that because in my opinion this signature is a fake. but what do you think? what's your call on the item? i ask because, as you said, it all comes down to what a person "believes to be true/real" BUT i'm willing to bet many others would take one quick look at the signature in the auction above and dismiss it as fake purely because they've seen enough examples of the real signature to be able to spot the subtle differences, JUST AS those who produce the fake signatures have been able to pick up on the subtle nuances of the real signature to duplicate it (somewhat poorly) and sell it claiming it's real,...

I wouldn't buy it without asking some key questions to the seller but I wouldn't come right out and call it a fake either.

If it's a forgery it's a good one
    the Minions
  • This thread is useless without pics
    This thread is useless without pics

true enough.

• acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    This thread is useless without pics

Your right.
    Sometime tomorrow I will take a pick and post it.
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • laudenumlaudenum Posts: 405
    i have a book with all the band members autographs on the cover from a ten club contest. unless u are there watching him sign something or u get something from the ten club,its pretty hard to varify if its legit.
    "shes stoned said the swede, and the
    mooncalf agreed" THe BANd
  • 100 Pacer wrote:

I dont know man I have the whole bands signature on somethng and Eds looks fake but its just sloppy cuz hes pretty a little tipsy when he signed it, i got it directly from them so there is no way it is fake but that doesnt mean it doesnt look fake...
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    I dont know man I have the whole bands signature on somethng and Eds looks fake but its just sloppy cuz hes pretty a little tipsy when he signed it, i got it directly from them so there is no way it is fake but that doesnt mean it doesnt look fake...

So dont leave us hanging...What did they sign, when , where and show us a pic...:)
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • I'd take an autograph on a cheque! :-)

Otherwise , I don't even see the point.
  • I dont why people pay for autographs the hole thing is crazy!!! Autographs should only hold sentimental value a souvenir of meeting the band.
    Barrie 08/22/98
    Toronto 10/01/00
    Toronto 06/28/03
    Kitchner 09/11/05
    London 09/12/05
    Hamilton 09/13/05
    Toronto 05/9/06
    Toronto 05/10/06
    Please play SATANS BED
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,440
    Its really hard to tell

Personally, I believe 90% of the autographs available for sale (especially on that auction site) are fake.

I wouldnt want it unless it came directly from the artist or through a charity auction endorsed by the 10c

but please dont let my pessimisim phase you

that was a really nice gift
  • So dont leave us hanging...What did they sign, when , where and show us a pic...:)

Its a Footy(a rugby ball) they kicked out a few of them into the crowd at the end of the perth 06 show. stone i think miffed one and it went staright up and ended up in the 3rd row where i was.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/GittasPics1726.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/GittasPics1724.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/GittasPics1723.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/GittasPics1722.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/GittasPics1721.jpg

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p304/paaks/2006-74.jpg
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18

NICE!!

So were they already signed, or did you get it signed after the show?

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • NICE!!

So were they already signed, or did you get it signed after the show?

no it was already signed
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
    no it was already signed

VERY COOL!! Too bad you didnt get a chance to meet them. :(

while a little sloppy, my guess due to the fact it was signed on a footy, the signature still has those subtle Ed signature nuances, as seen in this great examples:
    Oz Jammer wrote:

and while it's been discussed before that it's not always easy to analyze/examine a signature from a pic, i can only speak from my own personal experience in getting these signed in person:

http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=Tambourine004.jpg
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=Tambourine005.jpg
    http://s55.photobucket.com/albums/g136/100Pacer/?action=view&current=Tambourine006.jpg

and say that while there are plenty of legitimate examples of Ed's signature out there, one quick look at the real thing and it's very easy to spot a fake, often imitated but not quite easily duplicated,...