Options

Question about ames book....

SpinbrettSpinbrett Posts: 251
edited December 2007 in The Porch
On the special edition one.....numbered to 2,600. This is sometimes true of some books, if you get a low number, lets say, 1-50.......are those books worth more than a high number like 2000+ ???? So like a book numbered 2 is worth more than a 2321. Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    if you can find a sucker to believe that mumbo jumbo, then yes it's true that it would be worth more if demand says so.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    it is MOST definately true with posters. lower numbered posters are advertised as such and usually go for much higher than the average price. perhaps since it is a lower number, the signing is more true and the sig is a better representation , than say, the 1,000th one done. i dunno. just typing out loud.

i cant wait for my book, BTW. gonna be so kewl to look at all those posters! i hope my number is 2,600! that'd make it very special. but i think they "FOUND" some more , so its more than 2,600 now.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • Options
    exactly, I know a collector of posters, books, and baseball cards. He told me that the lower numbered ones in anything are usually worth more. I wanted to make sure that was true.
  • Options
    KDH12KDH12 Posts: 2,091
    I think that it is cool to get the last one in an edition

for instance i would love #2600/2600
    **CUBS GO ALL THE WAY IN......never **
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    In general, lower numbers have absolutely NO increased value over higher numbers. In the PJ poster market made up of a lot of 20 year olds, that may not be true, since if the 20 year old poster buyer decides it has more value, well then I guess it does.

But in general in prints and books, the quality and condition of the item, as well as the total number in the run sets the value. Not the number.

http://www.unm.edu/~tamarind/care.html
    are some prints in the edition more valuable or better than others?
    No. In contemporary print editions, an impression with a lower number is no more valuable or better than an impression with a higher number. This popular misconception probably stems from the time when very large editions of prints were made and impressions were sometimes pulled after the printing element began to wear out, resulting in impressions that were not as "crisp" as the first few printed.

Prints are not signed and numbered in the order in which they were printed. Uniformity among impressions at Tamarind is assured because the curator checks each impression against the bon à tirer. Only those impressions meeting Tamarind's standards are embossed with the chops of the workshop and the printer; any flawed impressions are destroyed.

http://www.monoprints.com/prints/selecting.html
    Prints are not signed and numbered in the order in which they were printed. Therefore, an impression with a lower number isn't more valuable or better than an impression with a higher number.
    Although each pass of the plate through the etching press wears down the plate a little, editions of 75 to 100 impressions don't suffer any loss in quality.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    if you can find a sucker to believe that mumbo jumbo, then yes it's true that it would be worth more if demand says so.

This is actually the correct answer. Econ 101.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08