Options

In your face, "Enchanted"!!

edited February 2008 in The Porch
Anyone consider the song falling slowly from "once" winning best song some kind of personal victory after the Into the Wild snub?

At least artists won over mass mediocrity anesthesia!

Way to go "once"!

ps: as much as we love ed (or hate enchanted), did we really want to see him performing on the oscars?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    luvisatowerluvisatower Posts: 1,078
    YES! anything but another sappy disney song winning :)
    and yes, i honestly would've like to see ed play at the oscar's
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Get it now, get enough, before its gone, let's everybody carry on, carry on....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
    WE WANT YOU!!!!
    join the street team
    http://wishlistfoundation.fancorps.com

"headphones are highly recommended...." Jeff Ament
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453
    Outside of Pearl Jam....The Frames are the best band in the world, great stuff, congrats to Glen Hansard on the award!
  • Options
    luvistower wrote:
    YES! anything but another sappy disney song winning :)
    and yes, i honestly would've like to see ed play at the oscar's

I think he would've done it on behalf of sean penn and the film.

but it would have been that moment where we all know he'd be hating every second of it.
  • Options
    Taft wrote:
    Outside of Pearl Jam....The Frames are the best band in the world, great stuff, congrats to Glen Hansard on the award!

I just looked on amazon and they have a lot of cd's

can you recommend one?
  • Options
    i was so happy to see glen and marketa win for their song from 'once'

YAY!!!
    :D
    08 6/11 WPB 6/12 Tampa 6/24,25 MSG, 8/7 Ed @ Newark
    07 8/5 Lolla 8/2 VIC
    06 7/22,23 Gorge 7/20 Ptl
    04 10/8 VFC Kissimmee
    03 4/11 WPB, 4/12 HOB Orlando, 7/8,9 MSG
    00 8/24 Jones Bch 8/9,10 WPB
    1998 9/22,23 WPB 1996 10/7 Ft Laud 1994 3/28 Miami
  • Options
    Do we know why the Into the Wild soundtrack was ineligible? I thought it was the whole movie but in the 3 seconds of the show I saw Into the Wild was nominated for best editing or something like that.
    Vancouver 07/19/98 Vancouver 05/30/03
    Portland 11/02/00 Vancouver 09/02/05
    Boise 11/03/00 Gorge 1 07/22/06
    Seattle 1 11/05/00 Gorge 2 07/23/06
    Seattle 2 11/06/00 Vancouver 09/25/09
  • Options
    Encouragement for people to 1. watch Once and 2. listen to The Frames. Seriously.
    PJx69
    EVx11
  • Options
    Encouragement for people to 1. watch Once and 2. listen to The Frames. Seriously.

I completly agree. The movie is well made and the music from Glen Hansard is emotionfilled and has a depth to it. Not unlike ITW soundtrack. I would have puked if the disney music had won.
    All together now...
  • Options
    i gotta say... even had guarenteed been nominated i think falling slowly is still a better song... especially within the context of the films... very happy with the results overall for every category! johns material was clearly lacking tho due to the writer strike....
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i gotta say... even had guarenteed been nominated i think falling slowly is still a better song... especially within the context of the films... very happy with the results overall for every category! johns material was clearly lacking tho due to the writer strike....

I agree on almost all points.

I was more pissed that enchanted was SO great, it deserved THREE nominations in the same catagory.

It was in fact, lame and annoying.

such a slap in the face to ed and his great work on ITW.
  • Options
    I agree on almost all points.

I was more pissed that enchanted was SO great, it deserved THREE nominations in the same catagory.

It was in fact, lame and annoying.

such a slap in the face to ed and his great work on ITW.
    i definitely agree... i literally had to mute the TV halfway through every enchanted song... they clearly put more consideration towards creating elaborate sets and costumes and very lil towards decent singers... it really angered me to see that... the talent of that little girl that did the august rush song was incredible but the song itself was pretty meh... im glad once won... and it wouldve been nice to see ed fill one of those enchanted spots... and for jonny greenwood to have been nominated for score... i like having true favorites to cheer for
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this movie, this soundtrack and have recently been turned onto The Frames because of it. I'm soooooooooo glad this won, and this is definitely the next best thing to Ed winning. Actually, if they had been up against each other, I don't think I would have been the least bit disappointed to have him lose to Glen. Falling Slowly is one of the most beautiful, enchanting (absolutely NO pun intended) songs I've ever heard, especially in context of the movie. Two brilliant songwriters and musicians. Hats off to the best at the Oscars tonight! :D
    2003: Toronto
    2005: Kitchener/Hamilton/Toronto
    2006: Toronto 1 & 2
    2008: Hartford/EV Toronto 1 & 2
    2009: Toronto/Philadelphia 3 & 4
    2010: Buffalo
    2011: Montreal/Toronto 1 & 2/Hamilton
    2013: London/Buffalo/Vancouver/Seattle
    2016: Toronto 1 & 2
    2022: Hamilton/Toronto
    2023: EV Seattle 1&2
  • Options
    I also picked the other upset of the evening..

tilda swinton who is soooo good in michael clayton

if you haven't seen it, do so on dvd!
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693

can you recommend one?

I love The Cost. Not a bad song in it.

I am so happy Glen won :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    memememe Posts: 4,693
    sgossard3 wrote:

I agree, despite my signature :o

Now, had it been Long Nights, or Society, that would have been more difficult to decide :)
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
  • Options
    TaftTaft Posts: 453

can you recommend one?

Start with "For the Birds" to get a feel for their studio albums, and then get "Setlist", their live album, and at that point you will be hooked and buy all the rest. :)
  • Options
    sgossard3 wrote:
    i gotta say... even had guarenteed been nominated i think falling slowly is still a better song... especially within the context of the films...
    I agree.. I think RISE MIGHT have had a chance... unlikely though... but guaranteed still woulda lost out to falling slowly. Well it shoulda.

I was really hoping they'd win this one :) cos he, in particular, always comes across like just a normal lad so for him to be winning an oscar is sooo cool... I love oscar stories like that.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    i was really excited to see this win. great movie, great song. and thanks to everyone who posted recommendations for more of the frames' stuff.

love jon stewart's comment after about how 'that guy has such a big head' (or whatever he said). :p
  • Options
    nfanel wrote:
    Thanks to everyone who posted recommendations for more of the frames' stuff.

you are very welcome and thank you! Downloading "The Cost" right now.

Typical of the PJ board. What began as a vent thread ended up in consumption of really cool music.
  • Options
    rhinomagicrhinomagic Charlottesville, VA Posts: 2,549
    Once is SO clever and a lovely film. The music is equally charming and moving.

I'm very glad Glen and Marketa won the Oscar last night. :D

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • Options
    rhinomagic wrote:
    Once is SO clever and a lovely film. The music is equally charming and moving.

I'm very glad Glen and Marketa won the Oscar last night. :D

It's such a little gem of a film... very special. I watched the highlights of the oscars last night and was delighted to see it get the reception it deserved... they got one of the biggest cheers of the night... and on an otherwise quite dull ceremony, I thought they were refreshing... this is why I wanted them to win (apart from the song being the best) cos it would mean so much to them... and every picture of the pair of them on the night, they just look so happy.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    StereotypeStereotype Maribor, Slovenia Posts: 885
    I watched the Oscars (were from 2-6am in my time zone) and thought Eddie was nominated for Guaranteed!!
    I thought I've read a while ago he was..What happened?
    Well the song that won seems real (in comparison to those Enchanted-songs-I've heard a million times before)..though the guy pulled a lot of pitchy tones during the performance..

I thought the host was really funny and smart..and the Oscars--well it's a victory for Europe :D
    The worst enemies of music? Money and Mathematics. Combined with music, they both do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do. Money makes music cheap, mathematics makes it stupid and predictable.

____

Zagreb 2006/ Munich 2007/ Venice 2007/ Berlin 2009 / Venice 2010 / 2 x Berlin 2012 / Stockholm 2012 / Milan 2014 / Trieste 2014 / Vienna 2014 / Florence (EV) 2019 / Padova 2018 / Prague 2018 / Imola 2022 / Budapest 2022 / Vienna 2022 / Prague 2022