Meeting Ed

Along the WayAlong the Way Posts: 41
edited September 2009 in The Porch
So I don't post here much, at all really. Been in fan club since 94 and been to 40+ shows. Never made it any intention to try to meet any band members out of respect for their personal lives but earlier this year i was presented an opportunity i couldn't pass up. finally posting this because i thought many of you would appreciate this story. this was the email i sent to friends and family the next day

Went to the David Lynch Benefit last night. Got to see Paul McCartney and Ringo on same stage and of course Ed was playing solo. So, after the show, I walked outside to where all fans were standing behind barricades waiting for each musician to come out. I walked up to the front of the barricade on the outside part. A cop asked me to move but i showed my dad's badge (he was a detective) and he let me stay. 5 minutes later Paul M walked out and walked about 5 ft from me before turning around. At this point, people jumped the barricades and the cops and bodyguards all jumped toward Paul. I took the chance and walked into the Radio City door he came out of as it was left wide open and all the attention was on Paul. As soon as I was in, I hopped on the elevator with a few people and got off on the 5th floor. the rooms on that floor were empty and a guy asked me if i had credentials. I told him no and got back on the elevator. figured i would just be honest. worst is that i get asked to leave and back in same situation i was just in. Another RC employee got on at the 3rd floor and took a sign off of the elevator and said "this may be worth something someday". It was a list of what floors all of the stars were staying on. I asked him about Ed, he hit the 2nd floor and said here you go. I got off and to my right was a room and I could see Ed taking a picture with Jill , Ben Harper and Laura Dern. I walked over and a bodyguard asked if I knew Ed personally. I told him no and he told me to stay where i was. I saw Ed grab a water from the fridge and I was very thirsty so the bodyguard let me grab a water also. Someone kept saying they had to leave so on the way out, they walked passed me. Ed hugged a lady right next to me so after, I introduced myself and said great show. he said thanks, nice to meet you and went to the elevator. I said to myself, fuck it, and asked the bodyguard if could get on the elevator also. with a smirk and a look of "are you really asking me this?" he said yes. So I was on the elevator with Ed, Jill, Ben and Laura. Ed was talking about the show and how cool it was to actually be on stage with Paul and Ringo and something that he could have done better (couldn't really hear him on that one). After getting off the elevator, there was a wait until they had to get into the car. So i said "Ed, you got a sec?".. he said "yeah, what's up? (lighting up a cig). I told him I was a big fan of the band and thanked him for all the enjoyment the band has given me over the years and then said that I was really there to see Paul and Ringo because it meant a lot to me and my dad but by dad had passed 8 years ago. He agreed that it was a must see show and that it was awesome to be a part of. Ben then called him over. At that time I congratulated Jill on their latest kid and she said thank you and that not many people approach her and say that and then Ed also said thanks. They were then told the car was there. On there way out, Ed reached back shook my hand and said, "Nice to meet you xxx, (then pointed his finger towards the sky and said) my dad and your dad are up there and they know we're having fun down here. Have a good night". It was amazing that he remembered my name from upstairs and that he was nice enough to acknowledge my dad on his way out. very cool experience. everything i've read aboutt him giving you his total attention was completely true. Can't believe how short he really is though. show was also absolutely amazing by the way.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Fucking fantastic post! :)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • when you followed Eddie and his wife on to the elevator.....

is when you officially became a stalker...............
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • SpagsSpags Leigh-on-Sea, UK Posts: 2,924
    Epic story with a killer end, thanks for sharing!
    Nature drunk and High
  • when you followed Eddie and his wife on to the elevator.....

with permission........

;)
    "No way to save someone who won't take the rope,and just lets go..."
  • awesome post! ... met him in Memphis and all i got was "hey cubs fan" due to my cap ...still awesome but no elevator ride!
  • I had to get downstairs at some point so why not try to join them? :)
  • Can't believe how short he really is though.
    lol i know! that's what i thought when i met him... and I'm 5'8" :)
  • 37pheet37pheet Posts: 433
    That is a really cool story, so you just talked a bit with him? no pic? Did you get to seee his kids?
  • I had to get downstairs at some point so why not try to join them? :)
    Do what you have to do....

But when you start jumping barricades....
    And showing a detective badge(impersonating a police officer is a felony by the way)........
    And jumping into elevators......

Im sorry.....

Its stalking........................
  • DiRtYyELLoWoCeAnDiRtYyELLoWoCeAn Medford, Ma Posts: 1,605
    when you followed Eddie and his wife on to the elevator.....

I can always count on your posts to make my day hahahaha! :lol:
    BOS 9/28/04, 9/29/04
    MTL 9/15/05
    HRTFD 5/13/06
    BOS 5/24/06, 5/25/06
    VEGAS 7/6/06
    CHI 8/5/07
    NJ 6/19/08
    NYC 6/25/08
    HRTFD 6/27/08
    MANSFLD 6/28/08, 6/30/08
    E.V. BOS 8/1/08
    CHI 8/23/09, 8/24/09
    PHILLY 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    BOS 5/17/10
    CHI 7/19/13
    WOOSTA 10/15/13, 10/16/13
    HRTFD 10/25/13
    BOS 8/5/16, 8/7/16
    BOS 9/2/18, 9/4/18

• B MerksB Merks Posts: 209
    met ed in Philly before his solo show at tower theatre and told him about my mom passing from cancer and how the song Rise means to me and he asked what my moms name was and I told him Susan and during the show he dedicated the song to susan - my brother and me went nuts and we waited for him after the show. Met him again and thanked him and he gave me a huge hug and kept saying everything is gonna be ok - what an amazing guy! Its one thing to meet your hero but to have that person be that fucking cool makes it so surreal - that will go down as one of the best days of my life!
    Brian Merkle
  • fuck that...when you are a fan of the music it's not stalking......hiding in the bushes outside his house or something would be stalking.

you had the opp. and you took it...good for you! your story sounds kinda like a mentos commercial. :mrgreen:

these guys are def the coolest cats in the bizz!!
    The shit has dropped into the thread and the flies are buzzing!
    Nature drunk and High
  • BM45084 wrote:
    met ed in Philly before his solo show at tower theatre and told him about my mom passing from cancer and how the song Rise means to me and he asked what my moms name was and I told him Susan and during the show he dedicated the song to susan - my brother and me went nuts and we waited for him after the show. Met him again and thanked him and he gave me a huge hug and kept saying everything is gonna be ok - what an amazing guy! Its one thing to meet your hero but to have that person be that fucking cool makes it so surreal - that will go down as one of the best days of my life!
    Very very cool.
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• impersonating an officer? are you serious. i showed a cop in uniform the badge of my deceased father who was a detective and he was nice enough to let me stay where i was. Also, i did not jump any barricades. read the post again and you'll clearly see that i said other people did. thank you for reinforcing the reason i don't post on here and will continue not too. to all who enjoyed the post, thank you for your kind feedback. See you in Philly
  • fanboy. yes.
    stalker. no.

great story
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
    Now look what you've done!
    Nature drunk and High
  • impersonating an officer? are you serious. i showed a cop in uniform the badge of my deceased father who was a detective and he was nice enough to let me stay where i was. Also, i did not jump any barricades. read the post again and you'll clearly see that i said other people did. thank you for reinforcing the reason i don't post on here and will continue not too. to all who enjoyed the post, thank you for your kind feedback. See you in Philly

stalker.......
  • your an idiot speedy, i am sure if you saw ed you would run the other way
    Be Green and Free
  • great story!!
    BM45084 wrote:
  • crashedcar wrote:
    your an idiot speedy, i am sure if you saw ed you would run the other way
    I may be an idiot....
    But I am not a stalker....

The guy should have walked up to Ed and said.....

Hey Eddie I just hopped some barricades.....
    Showed some guy a fake police badge....
    And snuck up here to the floor you and your wife are on.....

Is it ok if I get on the elevator with you?????

I wonder how that would have worked out????????
  • Yellow BedwetterYellow Bedwetter NYC Posts: 2,832
    great story!!!

i have no idea what i would say if i had ben and eddie in the same elevator...well...i'd prolly try and do a rendition of "Indifference" with the guys while we rode the elevator down lol

YB
    2005: Borgata 2, Philly
    2006: Camden 1&2, East Ruth 1&2
    2008: BONNAROO, MSG1, MSG2, Hartford
    2009: Philly 1, 2, 4
    2010: Hartford, MSG1, MSG2
    2012: Made in America
    2013: BK1, BK2, Hartford
    2015: Global Citizens
    2016: MSG 2 (ISO MSG1)
    EV Solo: NJPAC 2008; Tower Theatre, PA 2009; Hartford 2011
  • marcosmarcos Posts: 2,111
    I'm not sure that it's actually stalking if it's a celebrity at an event that they are staring in away from they're personal life. Howard Stern actually talked about how he sometmes gets bothered by fans when he is with his children and how that's not a cool time to fuck with someone but he generally tries to accomodate when he's by himself or with his wife. There's a time and place for everything. I've met a few stars here and there and simply just talked. I don't know what people see in autographs all the time or even pictures for that matter. Glad you didn't ask for his autograph or pic with you.
  • Do you have a life or do you live on this site and visit reality only once in a while? making fun of someone's deceased father. you are one classy individual.
  • are you serious? wow, wow, Your right bud, all the way. I guess if you see Ed wait till he comes over to you, becuase you are certainly Mr. sunshine for everyone. Whats up Glenn Beck.
    Be Green and Free
  • speedy is a pool of negativity, this is nothing new. he comes here to shit on everything/everyone. best is to ignore it.
    i have a paper here that entitles me to fast track status
  • Awesome story ...

Speedy -- even your "namesake," one Mike McCready, admitted to hiding under a limo to get an autograph once. So, does that make him a stalker, too?

As long as you don't freak 'em out, chase 'em down the street or otherwise make them regret being a musician, i think you're doing OK.
    If you hate something,
    Don't you do it, too.
  • nice post

crack me up that this person felt the need to mention how short Eddie was

He's such a cool dude, the way he treats people, he's a giant in my book :lol:
  • Do you have a life or do you live on this site and visit reality only once in a while? making fun of someone's deceased father. you are one classy individual.
    I never ever once made fun of your father....so dont fucking go there........

and I never once stalked anyone....

Lets get the story straight...........

Im sorry I find your story a little creepy.......

When a grown man is sneaking around hotels...
    and showing a off a police badge that isnt his...
    just to meet a rock star.....

Im sorry.....
    Its creepy......................................
  • TonykinTonykin Posts: 252
    Puta madre!! Que chingon!!
    Sorry, needed to say it in my language to feel it better...
    How awsome Ed is...
    I really feel your story cause has been almost 8 yrs my Dad is up there too along your Dad and Ed's...

"... Tan suato mi'jo!!"

-Salomón & Artemisa Vargas