Options

From Faithful/Yield To The Fixer/Backspacer

the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
edited July 2009 in The Porch
First off, I dig every PJ record. Followed them since the very beginning...Ten/VS/Vitalology

I remember the day Yield came out, Rocking out to Brain of J-and then hearing Faitful, and to me it
was a turning point- I was into PJ more then ever before, it was euphoric.

I enjoy/own Binaural-Riot Act-Avacado, but to me they are very "dark" records. For me they do not have that Yield-Crunch-Spark or the importance of the first 3 records or No Code.

Long story short, in my car this morning listening to 101X here in Austin-Texas-the morning show Jason/Deb- Deb says they are about to play the new PJ/Fixer-she said she played it yesterday and she loves it...I turn it up, rock out, and I have that Feeling again. I think PJ has that feeling again too.

The Fixer is inspired, the band sounds passionate. It was Sunshine blasting through my speakers... Cant wait for LA+ACL!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    elevation622elevation622 Posts: 926
    The Chad you are The Correct
  • Options
    Thanks Man! :D
  • Options
    don't mention fixer in the same breath as Yield & faithful....it's not worthy....and I'm not feeling it.

of course you are welcome to your opinion...this is mine.
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    don't mention fixer in the same breath as Yield & faithful....it's not worthy....and I'm not feeling it.

of course you are welcome to your opinion...this is mine.

what other PJ songs do you feel the same about?
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    That's funny, I've had similar thoughts.

Back when Yield came out, I loved it immediately and my friend who was also a big pearl jam fan, did not. The song he bitched about most was Faithful, for many of the same reasons that fans are currently complaining about The Fixer.

I am liking everything I've heard that relates to this album so far.

From NYMag:

“Late Pearl Jam” isn’t a phrase that typically has us reaching for our headphones, but “The Fixer,” the single from the band’s forthcoming Backspacer, might inspire us — and here we even paraphrase the song — to love again. It can’t be a coincidence that it’s exactly three minutes long: The track is pure and simple pop rock of the highest order, the kind of thing we’ve hoped Eddie Vedder would turn his restless attention toward for years now. He wants to fix things, uncross signals, “get it back again,” and we’re sharing so earnestly in the sentiment that we feel it would be an injustice to relate it to the populist bent of this music.
  • Options
    TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    You know...the first time I heard The Fixer I thought it sounded like a happy version of Evacuation (which I do like) mixed in with some other song I still can't quite think of. But I get your point with the Faithfull comparison, which is probably one of the few happy PJ songs. It took several listens of the new song but I'm coming around to it. I hated WWS when I first heard it and but I was completely disappointed when they only played it at one show last year (which happened to be one I wasn't at but had planned on going to :( ). Some songs just have to grow on you.

Oh and BTW Yield is my favorite album and Faithfull is 2nd only to GTF in my heart :D;):D
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    Nice.
    I got chills the first time I saw them on Conan, Got Some ROCKED!!!!

Then stayed up till 1am to listen to The Fixer. Same thing, CHILLS.

This band will NEVER get old to me... wow, 18 years later.
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    That's funny, I've had similar thoughts.

Back when Yield came out, I loved it immediately and my friend who was also a big pearl jam fan, did not. The song he bitched about most was Faithful, for many of the same reasons that fans are currently complaining about The Fixer.

I am liking everything I've heard that relates to this album so far.

From NYMag:

“Late Pearl Jam” isn’t a phrase that typically has us reaching for our headphones, but “The Fixer,” the single from the band’s forthcoming Backspacer, might inspire us — and here we even paraphrase the song — to love again. It can’t be a coincidence that it’s exactly three minutes long: The track is pure and simple pop rock of the highest order, the kind of thing we’ve hoped Eddie Vedder would turn his restless attention toward for years now. He wants to fix things, uncross signals, “get it back again,” and we’re sharing so earnestly in the sentiment that we feel it would be an injustice to relate it to the populist bent of this music.

Love the NYMag- comments-perfect-spot on. C
  • Options
    Tangerine wrote:
    You know...the first time I heard The Fixer I thought it sounded like a happy version of Evacuation (which I do like) mixed in with some other song I still can't quite think of. But I get your point with the Faithfull comparison, which is probably one of the few happy PJ songs. It took several listens of the new song but I'm coming around to it. I hated WWS when I first heard it and but I was completely disappointed when they only played it at one show last year (which happened to be one I wasn't at but had planned on going to :( ). Some songs just have to grow on you.

Oh and BTW Yield is my favorite album and Faithfull is 2nd only to GTF in my heart :D;):D

Feel you on GTF and Faithful, Yield is incredible..Even Push me Pull me kicks ass
  • Options
    the Chad wrote:
    First off, I dig every PJ record. Followed them since the very beginning...Ten/VS/Vitalology

I remember the day Yield came out, Rocking out to Brain of J-and then hearing Faitful, and to me it
    was a turning point- I was into PJ more then ever before, it was euphoric.

I enjoy/own Binaural-Riot Act-Avacado, but to me they are very "dark" records. For me they do not have that Yield-Crunch-Spark or the importance of the first 3 records or No Code.

Long story short, in my car this morning listening to 101X here in Austin-Texas-the morning show Jason/Deb- Deb says they are about to play the new PJ/Fixer-she said she played it yesterda y and she loves it...I turn it up, rock out, and I have that Feeling again. I think PJ has that feeling again too.

The Fixer is inspired, the band sounds passionate. It was Sunshine blasting through my speakers... Cant wait for LA+ACL!

I like the way you think, and I totally see the comparison. I didn't grow up with pearl jam like you did, I kind of picked up each album randomly over the past 6 years. I love reading about how people grew up with it, it makes it more personal. It's enlightening to see the effects each record had on people. It helps put the bigger picture into perspective.
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    great thread! yield is my favorite album of all time, and faithful is incredible. the fixer is no faithful, but i am totally loving it still! very happy, very inspired, very passionate indeed. and i think that backsapcer will be most like yield then any other album. i think the fixer will be the most simplistic straight forward song on there. i think we will see alot of interesting twists and turns with this album. just take this song for what it is! a fun rocker!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford