Options

ohhh, BACKSPACER is named after a font!!!

dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
edited July 2009 in The Porch
http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/emigre/backspacer/

* Designers: Nancy Mazzei, Brian Kelly
* Design date: 1993
* Design owner: Emigre
* Publisher: Emigre
* MyFonts debut: Dec 9, 2002
oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    KloddzKloddz Posts: 2,573
    Nice find!
    Bern - September 13, 2006
    Berlin - August 15, 2009
    Lisbon - July 10, 2010
    Berlin - June 26, 2014
    Zurich - June 23, 2022

http://www.last.fm/user/Kloddz
  • Options
    looks like the font for 'the fixer' single - no coincidence, I guess!
    we're all going to the same place...
  • Options
    starmap3333starmap3333 Posts: 3,908
    Maybe it means something about erasing your mistakes... I would find it hard to believe they named an album after a font.
    Ithaca, NY-11/6/91 SPAC, NY-8/4/92 Rochester, NY-4/7/94 Toronto-9/21/96 Buffalo, NY-10/1/96 Barrie, ONT-8/20/98 Pittsburgh, PA- 8/25/98 Jones Beach, NY-8/23/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/24/00 Jones Beach, NY-8/25/00 SPAC, NY-8/27/00 Buffalo, NY-5/2/03 MSG-7/8/03 MSG -7/9/03 Hamilton, ONT-9/13/05 Albany, NY-5/12/06 Cleveland, OH-5/20/06 Camden, NJ-5/27/06 East Ruth, NJ-6/3/06 Chicago, IL-8/5/07 Bonnaroo-6/14/08 MSG-6/24/08 MSG-7/25/08 Mansfield, MA-7/30/08 Chicago, IL-8/23/09 Philly, PA-10/30/09 Philly, PA-10/31/09 Buffalo, NY 5/10/10 MSG 1&2 5/20-21/10
  • Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    nice..
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    Rossum20Rossum20 Posts: 910
    well it sure looks like it was named after a font lol...but obviously it has dual meanings....wonder how much they had to pay these guys to use their font?
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    To me, I think it's supposed to represent a typewriter as someone earlier had suggested - look closely at the single for "The Fixer" up on the Goods section, and you'll notice the circles the letters are in look exactly like the keys of an old typewriter. "Back Spacer" also, I believe, used to be the backspace key on a typewriter.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    rawpixelsrawpixels Posts: 912
    They were considering calling the album Adobe Garamond, but then decided to go with Backspacer.
    One man stands alone awaiting
    for her to come home
    eyes upon the horizon
    in the dark before the
    darkness leaves the dawn
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,937
    I think sums it up - 1407316889_eefe3f77a0.jpg
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Maybe it means something about erasing your mistakes... I would find it hard to believe they named an album after a font.

why? the font is the exact same font used on the cover of that single shown on The Tonight Show. Perhaps they got shown a series of fonts for their artwork and upon asking "what is that one called?" someone said "Backspacer".... ohhh cool name... says Stone... "lets call the album that."

hardly outlandish
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    Rossum20 wrote:
    well it sure looks like it was named after a font lol...but obviously it has dual meanings....wonder how much they had to pay these guys to use their font?

$50 or whatever it costs to buy the font... once you purchase a font you can then use it for any publication/artwork/media/etc.
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    rawpixels wrote:
    They were considering calling the album Adobe Garamond, but then decided to go with Backspacer.

This is true.

Zapf Dingbats and Microsoft Sans Serif were also in the running.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3k5oY9AHHM

;)
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    JonnyPistachioJonnyPistachio Florida Posts: 10,217
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpQbQ3SYEg

I dont know if this was after they named the album or not, but it's also the name of Stones leatherback turtle, Backspacer, who is racing in the atlantic.
    Pick up my debut novel here on amazon: Jonny Bails Floatin (in paperback) (also available on Kindle for $2.99)
  • Options

I dont know if this was after they named the album or not, but it's also the name of Stones leatherback turtle, Backspacer, who is racing in the atlantic.

backspacer was his turtles name because of the new album name surely... otherwise it would be the biggest co-icidence of all time...

Ed: so, uhm, i've seen this font and its also the name of the delete key on an old typewriter.. its called backspacer... cool name for the new album huh?

Stone: wow, my fucking turtle in that race was called that!!

Ed: you had a turtle called backspacer? now thats a co-incidence.
  • Options
    tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    Well, they originally were going to call the album Times New Roman...
  • Options
    dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 705
    It not named after a font... hahaha how dumb.
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:

you didnt read the thread before making that joke did you? :lol::lol:
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,949

my guess would be that they named the turtle after they came up with the album name
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    ajedigeckoajedigecko \m/deplorable af \m/ Posts: 2,430
    they should have called it "hand written".........no body does that shit anymore.
    live and let live...unless it violates the pearligious doctrine.
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    tcaporale wrote:

you didnt read the thread before making that joke did you? :lol::lol:
    Hah, nope. :D
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    fascinating.

great find , nonetheless .

thanks for sharing , all the images also .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    skurrieskurrie Posts: 22
    I am positive that benjs has the right idea.
    The very old typewriters had the key called "backspacer".
    Maybe the music will have a vintage sound? . . .

if you hate something don't you do it too ......
  • Options
    eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Maybe they'd decided on Backspacer because of the typewriter key thing.

And after that found out that there's also a font called Backspacer.

Hmm.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

why? the font is the exact same font used on the cover of that single shown on The Tonight Show. Perhaps they got shown a series of fonts for their artwork and upon asking "what is that one called?" someone said "Backspacer".... ohhh cool name... says Stone... "lets call the album that."

hardly outlandish
    so where does the turtle named backspacer fit in? i have never seen a turtle shaped like a typewriter, but who am i to say
    You may have seen me:
    Cleveland 5/20/2006
    Pittsburgh 6/23/2006
    Columbia 6/16/2008
    Bristow 5/13/2010
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    you mean its not named after the turtle?
    Wait, maybe they named the turtle after the album

oh damn, which came first the chicken or the egg? :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    yeah, well, my first thought was the desire to backspace the last 8 years or so...but i'm sure there are lots of layers to it.
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    yeah, well, my first thought was the desire to backspace the last 8 years or so...but i'm sure there are lots of layers to it.
    Why would they want to backspace the last 8 years? That's crazy talk.
  • Options
    tcaporale wrote:
    Why would they want to backspace the last 8 years? That's crazy talk.

:lol:
    If nothing is everything, I'll have it all
  • Options
    blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505

yeah, don't for about the turtle! :)

It not named after a font... hahaha how dumb.

Ha! well it sure beats Wingdings.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    :lol::lol:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    dwhiskeyddwhiskeyd Posts: 25
    tcaporale wrote:

That was awesome. Best album name I have heard yet.