Billboard: Pearl Jam Debuts 'Fixer,' Reveals Track List

VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,914
edited July 2009 in The Porch
http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/pea ... 3675.story

Pearl Jam Debuts 'Fixer,' Reveals Track List
Pearl Jam

July 15, 2009 11:49 AM ET

Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.
Pearl Jam's new single, "The Fixer," made an abbreviated debut last night (July 14) during Fox's broadcast of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. The track officially goes to U.S. radio and digital retailers on Monday.

As previously reported, Target will be the exclusive big-box retailer in the United States for Pearl Jam's self-released ninth album, "Backspacer," due Sept. 20.

The clip for "The Fixer" was only a few seconds long, but it was long enough to discern catchy "yeah yeah yeah" shout-outs in its chorus and frontman Eddie Vedder imploring that when "something's gone, I want to fight to get it back again."

Yesterday, Pearl Jam's official Web site, began taking pre-orders for CD and vinyl versions of "Backspacer" as well as a 7-inch single for "The Fixer" backed with "Got Some," which the band debuted June 1 on "The Tonight Show With Conan O'Brien."

The order page confirms the 11-track contents of "Backspacer," which features three songs recently premiered during Vedder's U.S. solo tour: "Unthought Known," "Speed of Sound" and "The End."

As previously reported, Pearl Jam will return to the road Aug. 8 in Calgary, Alberta, and has dates on tap through Oct. 30 in Philadelphia. Reportedly added to the itinerary is a rare small venue show on Aug. 11 at London's Shepherd's Bush Empire. U.K. retailer HMV is currently advertising a ticket presale offer which fans can enter by preordering "Backspacer" via the HMV website.

Here is the track list for "Backspacer":

"Gonna See My Friend"
"Got Some"
"The Fixer"
"Johnny Guitar"
"Just Breathe"
"Amongst the Waves"
"Unthought Known"
"Supersonic"
"Speed of Sound"
"Force of Nature"
"The End"
Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Monday! Woooooot!!! I love what I've heard already!
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Really really getting excited! This is going to be a great few next months! :D
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    Better DanBetter Dan Posts: 5,684
    yeaaaah yeaaah yeaaaaaah
    2003: San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Seattle; 2005: Monterrey; 2006: Chicago 1 & 2, Grand Rapids, Cleveland, Detroit; 2008: West Palm Beach, Tampa; 2009: Austin, LA 3 & 4, San Diego; 2010: Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbus, Indianapolis; 2011: PJ20 1 & 2; 2012: Missoula; 2013: Dallas, Oklahoma City, Seattle; 2014: Tulsa; 2016: Columbia, New York City 1 & 2; 2018: London, Seattle 1 & 2; 2021: Ohana; 2022: Oklahoma City
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.
    Pearl Jam's new single, "The Fixer," made an abbreviated debut last night (July 14) during Fox's broadcast of the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. The track officially goes to U.S. radio and digital retailers on Monday.
    Digital retailers? Hopefully that includes iTunes, and that they'll be selling it through the D45 section, where they put a single up, as well as a b-side!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.
    Digital retailers? Hopefully that includes iTunes, and that they'll be selling it through the D45 section, where they put a single up, as well as a b-side!

I really hope they include the B-side, like they did with Unemployable the last time around. Based on the Vinyl B-side, I would assume that to be Got Some. Here's to hoping, and maybe a long shot, but if we get Fixer & Got Some on Monday, my head would explode.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    benjs wrote:
    Jessica Letkemann, N.Y.

I really hope they include the B-side, like they did with Unemployable the last time around. Based on the Vinyl B-side, I would assume that to be Got Some. Here's to hoping, and maybe a long shot, but if we get Fixer & Got Some on Monday, my head would explode.
    Either way - we're getting one new song at the least - happy days :mrgreen:
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    SawyerSawyer Posts: 2,411
    Digital reatail...so Itunes will have it Monday? How about a single cd release?
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Yeah, new music on Monday! :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    Hells Yes!
  • Options
    the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    Hells Yes! Monday!
  • Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    Although I know where this came from you should probably link the article rather than posting the whole thing here. It's the "right" thing to do. /Just a friendly FYI
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.
  • Options
    touringfan wrote:
    Although I know where this came from you should probably link the article rather than posting the whole thing here. It's the "right" thing to do. /Just a friendly FYI

I edited the original post to add the link. You're right, the link should be included. Out of curiosity, why is omitting the text the right thing to do? I always include it for convenience. People don't have to jump around as much, and it is easier for them to quote certain sections of it.
  • Options
    touringfan wrote:

I edited the original post to add the link. You're right, the link should be included. Out of curiosity, why is omitting the text the right thing to do? I always include it for convenience. People don't have to jump around as much, and it is easier for them to quote certain sections of it.
    +1... if you properly reference it, I don't think it's the biggest deal.

EV
  • Options
    NeilJamNeilJam Posts: 1,191
    touringfan wrote:

Re-posting the entire article here could technically be violating their copyright on the article they paid someone to write. Kind of like recording and rebroadcasting a news story from a TV station without their permission. It's not an issue I would raise (nor have I seen any problems with this before), but I figure this is why touringfan suggested just posting the link.
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    benjs wrote:
    touringfan wrote:

+1... if you properly reference it, I don't think it's the biggest deal.

If properly referenced it's not a deal at all. If it's not referenced, it's plagiarism.
  • Options
    touringfantouringfan Posts: 568
    NeilJam wrote:
    touringfan wrote:

Re-posting the entire article here could technically be violating their copyright on the article they paid someone to write. Kind of like recording and rebroadcasting a news story from a TV station without their permission. It's not an issue I would raise (nor have I seen any problems with this before), but I figure this is why touringfan suggested just posting the link.

It's not just the plagiarism end of things to consider. If you post the entire story here there is no reason for me to go to the authors site or the site for which they work. Many websites track traffic as well as track hits to each and every article. The traffic on a site can affect ad revenue etc. Additionaly........

In this case "jessica" the author may be writing her very first piece for Billboard and one of the ways she can be judged is by the traffic and hits her article recieves. If it does well she may be asked to write future articles on Pearl Jam which may eventually lead to her getting a full time gig with billboard.com etc. THATS the reason i suggested putting the link.

IMO the right thing to do is put - "Great piece by billboard on "Fixer" (includes release date and track list) than put the link.
    baby boomers selling you rumors of their history, forcing youth away from the truth of what's real today.