Options

Backspacer CD - Purchase From Ten Club or Target?

Lennon_CobainLennon_Cobain Posts: 704
edited February 2013 in The Porch
Everyone knows by now that the Backspacer CD is available for pre-order through Ten Club. The only thing unique about the Ten Club/Indie Store version of the CD is the packaging (hard cover book style like "Into The Wild" and "Pearl Jam" [Ten Club Version]).

I really like this type of packaging, but I can't help but wonder if I should hold off to see if the Target version of the CD is going to have anything special. In particular, I mean bonus tracks or a bonus DVD.

I know that Target is the exclusive U.S. "big box" retailer to carry this CD. However, I would be surprised if Target will be carrying a standard retail CD that Amazon.com and other online retailers will have.

I'm sure the band can't really reveal at this time any of the specifics relating to the Target deal. However, I would hate to pre-order the CD here and then find out in September about the super duper Target version.

Kat/Sea/Santos... any chance for some clarification on this issue? Thanks in advance.
"I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    bigbadbillbigbadbill Posts: 1,758
    Save up your chips and get both. I will.
    11/6/95, 11/18/97, 7/13/98, 7/14/98, 10/24/00, 10/25/00, 10/28/00, 6/2/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 7/6/06, 7/7/06, 7/9/06, 7/10/06, 7/13/06, 7/15/06, 7/16/06, 7/18/06, 10/21/06, 4/10/08, 4/13/08, 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, 10/9/09
  • Options
    i just pre-ordered the vinyl...i'll probably just download the CD off of iTunes or something like that for iPod purposes...or if target has a bonus deal going on, i'll get it there then upload it to iTunes (again for iPod purposes)
  • Options
    SomethingCreativeSomethingCreative Kazoo, MI Posts: 3,346
    i just pre-ordered the vinyl...i'll probably just download the CD off of iTunes or something like that for iPod purposes...or if target has a bonus deal going on, i'll get it there then upload it to iTunes (again for iPod purposes)

word
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • Options
    hopethatuchokehopethatuchoke Posts: 2,930
    bigbadbill wrote:

Why would you need both?
  • Options
    Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    I pre-ordered mine through here if Target ends up having a bonus DVD or something else that is unique then I'll go to Target and buy that version as well.
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Options
    NoCode_inMTNoCode_inMT Posts: 551
    bigbadbill wrote:

Why would you need both?

Why wouldn't you?
    1998-6/20, 6/21
    2003-6/1, 10/25
    2005-8/29, 9/4
    2006-7/2, 7/22, 7/23
    2008-4/15(EV solo)
    2009-9/21, 9/22, 9/28
    2011-9/3, 9/4
    2012-9/30
    2013-7/19, 11/30
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,392
    I'm going to get mine from Tenclub. I didn't pre-order the avocado cd and I later wished I had...so, I'm not doing THAT again! :D

(I just need to get my change of address and e-mail straightened out.)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    vital5vital5 Posts: 5,486
    bigbadbill wrote:

Why would you need both?
    To race them? :D
  • Options
    As a consumer, I like to make informed decisions. 8-) I'm hoping that we'll get some clarification on this.
    "I'll end up alone like I began..."

"You need the patience of like a National Geographic photographer sitting underneath the bush in a tent, trying to get a picture of zebras fucking or something for the first time." -Eddie Vedder
  • Options
    the Chadthe Chad Posts: 65
    I love PJ, but Target sucks.

Order from the 10 Club or hit your local Independent Record Store! Cant wait! :D
  • Options
    pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    What is so special about this hard cover? Could someone please upload a picture of Avocado so I can see.

The dilemma I am facing is that it gets released here in Aust on 20/09, so that is when I can get my PJ fix. If I have to wait for the shipping, god knows when I will get it, and I will bite my finger nails off waiting. Much like I am now, waiting for the imminent tour announcement.

Thanks.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I pre-ordered mine through here if Target ends up having a bonus DVD or something else that is unique then I'll go to Target and buy that version as well.
    +1
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Gary CarterGary Carter Shea Stadium Posts: 13,940
    i'm buying it from target and my local indie store(looney tunes)
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    bigbadbill wrote:

Why would you need both?

I'm holding out for the 8-track version...
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    pjfan31 wrote:
    What is so special about this hard cover? Could someone please upload a picture of Avocado so I can see.

the s/t hardcover had slightly different artwork inside, the packaging was a hardcover & not a digipak-gatefold-thingy like Binaural and the cd itself looks different. the 10c version is brown & looks like it could be an avocado pit, whereas the retail version is the puzzle pieces. hope this clears it up!

it wouldn't surprise me if the target version included some footage from that shoot that they did awhile back. maybe the full "concert"? i think they played got some a few times and then 2-3 other tunes. that's just my guess. if it has a dvd/bonus stuff, i may pick that one up as well. but i'll do the 10c preorder. i got my copy of S/T from the 10c a few days before it hit the shelves and chances are that'll happen again.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    the Chad wrote:

Order from the 10 Club or hit your local Independent Record Store! Cant wait! :D
    +1
  • Options
    Jeanwah wrote:
    the Chad wrote:

+1

Ditto - Never stepped in to a Target and don't plan on it. Indi or 10c, and since I already ordered it on 10c, sorry Indi.
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I think I'm going to opt for the Target version. I imagine it'll be cheaper and if there's any exclusive, I'll be damned if I'm going to pay twice for the same album. That's shit. Plus, the book binding is kinda cool, but it also feels kinda fragile. It's easier to be able to remove the liner notes and read them like that, and the sleeve in the book thing will scratch the cd over time (see Vitalogy). Though it's appealing to get the album a few days early, and anytime I've pre-ordered something from the 10c it's arrived prior to the release date. Over the summer though I had a bad xp with an online pre-order and don't want to go through that again. Plus I'm moving and don't know what my address will be come September. I also like any excuse to go to Target, hehe.
  • Options
    zezitozezito Posts: 164
    pjfan31 wrote:

The dilemma I am facing is that it gets released here in Aust on 20/09, so that is when I can get my PJ fix. If I have to wait for the shipping, god knows when I will get it, and I will bite my finger nails off waiting. Much like I am now, waiting for the imminent tour announcement.

Thanks.

When I bough the Deluxe Ten trough the fan club, it arrived here a couple of days before it was released at the stores and also before some of the TC member in america! Dunno if they'll be able to do that again, but just in case I've got my copies, CD and Vinyls.
    "...take care of a couple of requests...one is from last night...I don't know if you are here again tonight...this first one...I'm not gonna tell you!"
    EV Adelaide 22-11-2006 ... yep I was there ... THANKS!
  • Options
    SOLAT319SOLAT319 Posts: 4,564
    Will Target beep the naughty words?
    I have no patience for bad music and stupid people...

The whole world will be different soon the whole world will be RELIEVED

#resistgezi #resistturkey #resisttaksim #direnturkiye #direngezi
    #standingman #duranadam
  • Options
    PJRock75PJRock75 Posts: 868
    metsfan wrote:
    i'm buying it from target and my local indie store(looney tunes)

I haven't been to Looney Tunes in years....basically because Mr. Cheapos is closer (Commack)
    "If you want a friend, feed any animal." - JA
    "Don't let it get you down, you know, still give your love, just give it away...I love singin' that part." - EV
  • Options
    PJFAN_seattlePJFAN_seattle Posts: 2,965
    I already preordered the CD and single via 10club so if Target has something special like a box set or DVD ill buy that one too.
    Shows:
    Seattle Key Arena 9-21-2009
    Seattle Key Arena 9-22-2009
  • Options
    lukinvedderlukinvedder Posts: 203
    i saw on ebay sorry no link! there a cd/dvd version up for pre sale aswell. not sure whats on the dvd?
    Christchurch, New Zealand 2009

• Options
    dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,151
    bigbadbill wrote:
    as all will do.. ;)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    SOLAT319 wrote:
    Will Target beep the naughty words?

Target does not censor albums. You're thinking of WalMart.
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    vital5 wrote:
    bigbadbill wrote:

Why would you need both?
    To race them? :D
    That is fucking hilarious!
  • Options
    Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    mfc2006 wrote:
    pjfan31 wrote:

the s/t hardcover had slightly different artwork inside, the packaging was a hardcover & not a digipak-gatefold-thingy like Binaural and the cd itself looks different. the 10c version is brown & looks like it could be an avocado pit, whereas the retail version is the puzzle pieces. hope this clears it up!

it wouldn't surprise me if the target version included some footage from that shoot that they did awhile back. maybe the full "concert"? i think they played got some a few times and then 2-3 other tunes. that's just my guess. if it has a dvd/bonus stuff, i may pick that one up as well. but i'll do the 10c preorder. i got my copy of S/T from the 10c a few days before it hit the shelves and chances are that'll happen again.
    This seems likely.
    If it is, I think i'd be satisfied finding a torrent to download the dvd stuff and stick with TenClub for my purchase. Rather have the money go direct to the band than pad the pockets of stockholders.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    Target, I waited a week past the release date to get Avocado from 10c. If 10c would toss in an extra, maybe I would buy one from them.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    This is pure speculation, but...

Everyone has been referring to the Target video shoot as a commercial, but what if it actually filled two purposes:

1. To get some current footage for Cameron Crowe's documentary/film.

2. To provide video footage for the rumored DVD that will come with the Target edition of Backspacer. Like when a single is released, but instead, a DVD with one or two videos on it.

I could be mistaken, but didn't the band refer to videos themselves as commercials back in the day?
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Options
    timctimc Posts: 664
    I pre- ordered from 10c last time they through in a cd from the vault.... Who knows maybe you will get another freebie???