Backspacer is going to fn' rule!!

GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
edited July 2009 in The Porch
I can't wait! I'm feeling sentimental... I know the porch has been a bit tense lately. Complaints, complaints about complaints... And I understand. Living somewhere where you just can't pull off getting to see them, it's frustrating. But I just feel so luck that we are about to get a new album from this band. They could have stopped at Vitalogy and I'd still be coming to their web site and paying a fan club membership. Yet all these years later we're still getting new music!
I have the same feeling right now that I did before Yield ( greatest album ever) came out. Sorta this, what are they up to, type of feeling. I know Backspacer is going to rock. I don't care if it's 10 minutes! That's 10 minutes of new Pearl Jam! 20 years later, they're still doing it, and it's always original and authentic. I've got one life to live, and I'm so glad that pj has been in it. Backspacer, 2 months, no way... Fuck, I love Pearl Jam.
Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• HIwideHIwide Posts: 46
    Thank you -- THANK YOU FOR A POSITIVE POST. And yes, it IS going to fucking rule! Fuckin no matter what it is -- it's just awesome that there's more of it coming. You know I live in Hawaii, and I feel so beyond lucky that my number one favorite band actually likes to come and play a state that seriously NO ONE else really ever comes to. It doesn't matter that their visits are few and far between -- you can tell the band goes out of their way to make it an extra special show. People all over complain that PJ might not have come to their state in years, but if they want they can always drive over to the next state -- we live in the center of Earth's largest ocean! Besides, from what I hear from fans and on the bootlegs, it seems PJ pulls out all the stops at every show anyway. The members of the Ten Club are also already super spoiled with all the treatment we get. There are alot of people out there who need to put a lid on it and be not only thankful that we're still getting primo acts out of these guys but also have a respectful and thoughtful attitude towards whatever decisions are made by the band or the Ten Club. PEACE!
  • GardenpartyGardenparty Posts: 1,908
    edited July 2009
    Great post!

this band has been with me since i was in 8th grade. Just the fact that i still get so excited for new music by them so far into the journey of my life is crazy. As i've grown older i've learned that ed isn't the messiah so many of us once thought of him as. He's a real dude, he plays in a real band. They make music that i relate to (most of the time). I've loved and listened and subscribed to hundreds maybe thousands of bands since PJ broke the scene yet none have held a candle in the dept that they've somehow created in my life,

Granted i've not loved every song they've given us or every move they've made as far as bands and business go. But to be upset with anything they do these days would just be wrong. 20 f'n years of the greatest band i've personally ever had is just...
    Post edited by Gardenparty on
    “I know this song so well, I can smoke a cigarette, have a drink, brush my teeth, take a shit, and mow the lawn while singing it. But I'll only be doing a couple of those things during this version.”
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    99% right my friend,,,u dont the the whole 100% couse TEN is the best album ever!!!!!!!!!!backspaser will kick the complainers ass...we was lishening all of us in a small part of the fixer was out,and we singing something going on ,yea yea for a week,till get some played in obrian show...and insted of hello with my pj friends we say "get some,,and the other answer ..if u need it...will be epic,will be so fuckin great,,,
    thank u for remind me how much I FUCKIN LOVE THE BEST ROCK BAND IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!! :!: :!:
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • T C HT C H Posts: 85
    Thanks for a great post!
    Good to hear some good vibes. Keep em coming.
    I can't wait for the new album and some shows. This band is the best - FULL STOP
    I've got a Gibson without a case, but I can't get that even tanned look on my face...
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208
    I hope you're right!
  • Dark StarDark Star Posts: 496
    edited July 2009
    Pearl Jam finally got their 6th member back (Brendan O'Brien) so I am fairly optimistic. Kinda hard being TOO optimistic after their last two above-average-yet-not-earth-shattering releases. With Brendan back in the band, I think we will be pleased.

O'Brien is like a million pearl jam fans all thrown together in one brain... this guy knows his f'kn Pj.
    Post edited by Dark Star on
  • benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,929
    It's already been said, but great post. As far as the length of the album, quality over quantity! If they've got nothing but good stuff on here, I wouldn't care if it was fifteen minutes frankly.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • mrveddersonmrvedderson Posts: 784
    good, i was starting to think that i was one of the only ones still hyped ta shit for this album
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    love this thread! nice job! backspacer certainly will kick ass! can't wait!! hey at least we have the fixer to listen to in merely 8 days! and with brendan o'brien back in action i'm extra psyched!
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    Hells yea. Pearl Jam positive vibes sent to all of you... :)
  • lockedlocked Boston Posts: 3,996
    count me in for this one too..
    "This here's a REQUEST!"
    EV intro to Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns
    10/25/13 Hartford
  • Dirt Like MeDirt Like Me Posts: 204
    We've gotta stay positive!
    Let the ocean swell, dissolve 'way my past
  • Vedder_Girl77Vedder_Girl77 Posts: 4,335
    Backspacer is going to surprise all the haters and be 1,000 times better than anyone expected. :D
    8/29/00, 7/3/03, 5/24/06,6/28/08 & 6/30/08, 10/9/09,10/28/09, 10/30/09 & 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10 & 5/21/10, 10/23/10 & 10/24/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 9/23/11, 9/22/12, 9/30/12, 7/16/13, 7/19/13
  • Cinnamon GirlCinnamon Girl Posts: 1,854
    Gmoney wrote:
    I've got one life to live, and I'm so glad that pj has been in it.

+1 8-)
    05-10-06, 08-05-07, 06-14-08 , 08-12-08(EV), 06-11-09(EV), 06-12-09(EV), 08-21-09, 05-10-10, 09-11-11, 09-12-11, 07-16-13, 07-19-13, 10-12-13, 10-21-13, 10-22-13,
  • mach271mach271 Posts: 562
    Im just as pumped as all of you are....BUT

Do you all remember 2006?

The boys were talking about how S/T was the best stuff they have ever done!

This time around they really arent making many statements about this album. Its as if they arent proud of it, and just did it to keep the PJ green $ machine still greased and rolling....

JMHO
  • LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,972
    Backspacer is going to surprise all the haters and be 1,000 times better than anyone expected. :D
    you go that right! 8-)
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • It's gonna be a kick ass album, no doubt. But that doesn't change the fact that it's going to be a really short 36 minute album. Doesn't it bother you guys that a short album is a lot easier to wear out than a longer one? The songs will be incredible, and they will get a lot of repeat plays, and then we're just gonna get bored of them faster. That's why longer records kick ass. It has more material to absorb, thus making the longevity of pure enjoyment that much more potent. Well, anyways, that doesn't change the fact that it will be a great record. It's just gonna be overplayed too fast unfortunately.
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136
    +1 :)
    "...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • tcaporaletcaporale Posts: 1,577
    mach271 wrote:

This time around they really arent making many statements about this album. Its as if they arent proud of it, and just did it to keep the PJ green $ machine still greased and rolling....

JMHO
    I sincerely doubt this. Remember, the album doesn't come out until late September, so there hasn't been very much press for it yet. Once the interviews and everything start to come, the band members will probably be gushing all about it.
  • letsongsprotestletsongsprotest Novi, MI Posts: 548
    Im pumped for this record, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its nice to have a positive thread here so I can post. 99.9% of the time I stay away from all the negative ones which seem to always be taking up the whole first page of the porch.
    There's a trapdoor in the sun.
  • HIwideHIwide Posts: 46
    It's gonna be a kick ass album, no doubt. But that doesn't change the fact that it's going to be a really short 36 minute album.

I don't know about some other people, but the fact that it's such a short album has me kind of excited to see why it's so short, what's on it. Like, what are they up to?
  • mach271 wrote:

JMHO

I'm Pumper than you are. You're insane.
  • GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    It's gonna be a kick ass album, no doubt. But that doesn't change the fact that it's going to be a really short 36 minute album. Doesn't it bother you guys that a short album is a lot easier to wear out than a longer one? The songs will be incredible, and they will get a lot of repeat plays, and then we're just gonna get bored of them faster. That's why longer records kick ass. It has more material to absorb, thus making the longevity of pure enjoyment that much more potent. Well, anyways, that doesn't change the fact that it will be a great record. It's just gonna be overplayed too fast unfortunately.
    This how I look at the whole 36 minute deal... I just discovered Felicity's Surprise, it's 3:45 long and I've been on cloud 9 for 3 days, listening to it over and over again... 36 minutes of new PJ is going to be like an eternity of awesomeness!
  • HermanBloomHermanBloom Posts: 1,764
    I talked to someone who has heard it and he says it definitely rocks.
    SLC 11/2/95, Park City 6/21/98, Boise 11/3/00, Seattle 12/9/02, Vancouver 5/30/03, Gorge 9/1/05, Vancouver 9/2/05, Gorge 7/22/06, Gorge 7/23/06, Camden I 6/19/08, MSG I 6/24/08, MSG II 6/25/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08; Eddie Albany 6/8/09, 6/9/09; Philly 10/30/09, 10/31/09; Boston 5/17/10
    I thought the world...Turns out the world thought me
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    I have a good feeling about Backspacer, too.
  • I talked to someone who has heard it and he says it definitely rocks.
    Is this from someone that works at a radio station that has received their promo copy? What other "groups" get to hear copies before it is released. Just curious because the radio station was the only one that came to mind. Thanks.
  • mach271 wrote:

JMHO

I don't think the money angle is plausible. They have never had much of a problem with money influencing their work. In fact the awful 09 tour schedule suggests money is not a motivating factor. It's possible that they are not ready mentally for an album/tour cycle but feel they should not keep folks waiting more than 3 years.

OTOH, "Got Some" sounded as if it had potential on the Conan Show (the album version should be better) and the once or twice I heard the bootlegged "The Fixer" it sounded pretty rockin'. They can be proud of this album and still not be as excited to go through the cycle as they were after Self Titled. The lead up to Self-Titled felt passionate, so far you can't say the same for Backspacer.
  • Chasea22Chasea22 Posts: 33
    Im pumped for this record, cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its nice to have a positive thread here so I can post. 99.9% of the time I stay away from all the negative ones which seem to always be taking up the whole first page of the porch.

I totally agree. I am so excited for the album.
  • mach271 wrote:

They lied! :lol:
  • I already have Got Some in my head. Woke up this morning singing GOT SOME IF YOU NEED IT!!!!!!!! Well in my head of course.