Red Hot Chili Peppers

Nowhere ManNowhere Man Posts: 345
edited July 2009 in Other Music
Just recently got into the Red Hot Chili Peppers and have about 20 songs or so, most of the basic greatest hits stuff. Can anyone recommend some other songs by the band? Thanks
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MFC9289MFC9289 Posts: 144
    In my opinion By the Way is their best album...their most mellow but has some of the classic funk from their earlier stuff. 16 songs and each song is awesome.
    Boston II 9/29/04, Bonnaroo 6/14/08, Mansfield II 6/30/08

"Ransom paid the devil
    He whispers pleasing words
    Triumphant are the angels if they can get there first..."
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    If you like it hard and funky go with the early stuff. If you like the more classic sounding stuff, go with the last 2 albums.

By The Way is my overall favorite, but I only like a handful of stuff pre BSSM.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,755
    MFC9289 wrote:
    In my opinion By the Way is their best album...their most mellow but has some of the classic funk from their earlier stuff. 16 songs and each song is awesome.

Couldn't agree more. I've never been a huge Chili Peppers fan, but I love the "By The Way" album. "Tear" is one hell of a song.
  • Bloodsuagrsexmagik is in my top 5 albums. Such a range of styles from song to song, but flows really well. Saw them headline Lolla 92 touring for BSSM and it doesn't get any better!
    7/28/1992 Lollapalooza Cincinnati, 9/22/1996 Toledo, 8/20/2000 Cincinnati, 6/24/2006 Cincinnati, 8/5/2007 Lollapalooza Chicago @ Grant Park, EV solo 8/21/2008 Chicago @ Auditorium Theater
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    MFC9289 wrote:

Couldn't agree more. I've never been a huge Chili Peppers fan, but I love the "By The Way" album. "Tear" is one hell of a song.

That song alone should redeem them in the eyes of the old school fans. The harmonies that Froosh and Flea bust out on the last few albums are just phenomenal, not to mention all the studio tricks JF has added with SA and BTW.
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,956
    just go for Blood Sugar Sex Magik. Everything off that album is great. IMO, Stadium Arcadium was great and if it weren't for that album being their big "sell-out" it would have been better. It's a great bunch of songs. You can't go wrong with Californication either. I've got some good RHCP bootlegs too if you're interested. PM me.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • Stu42Stu42 Posts: 178
    blood sex sugar magik is necessary as a whole album, no questions, get it now. among my top albums ever, and like someone said, a huge range of styles that flows perfectly, and in my opinion has frusciante's best guitar work as well as songwriting.
  • mbangel10mbangel10 Posts: 548
    Here is the best thing RHCP has ever done...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCliDUJQ90

/obligatory for any RHCP thread :lol:
    Pitt 98, Pitt 00, Cleveland 03, Pitt 03, State College 03, Toledo 04, Toronto 05, Pitt 05, Cleveland 06, Pitt 06 & Chicago 07, Chicago 1&2 09, Philly 2,3,4 09, Cleveland 10, Columbus 10, Alpine Valley 1& 2 11
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    My favorite album will always be Blood Sugar Sex Magik. So many awesome songs. Mothers Milk is a lot of fun. I kind of always preferred the older stuff, and while Stadium Arcadium was good I never played it the way I played BSSM and Californication. I do like to catch them once or twice per tour.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,939
    good to see the love for By The Way. i am obliged to say BSSM is my fav though, but By The Way is very close second......beautiful tunes. they stray from their usual blueprint and NAIL it. so solid.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
  • red mosred mos Posts: 4,953
    I'd get the greatest hits album for all their popular suff.

For Albums: I back up the following 3:
    (As they have already been mentioned)
    BSSM
    By the way
    Stadium Arcadium (this discs gets alot of hit or miss oppinions here. The problem is that the radio singles for the album Dani california, Tell me baby, songs like that are very poppy sounding and appeal to the masses. They are not bad songs, BUT the classic great songs on Stadium Arcadium (are not played on the radio). ( check out the following: slow cheetah, storm in a tea cup, desicration smile, wet sand (one of their best songs, period!) she looks to me, stadium Arcadium).
    PJ: 10/14/00 06/09/03 10/4/09 11/15/13 11/16/13 10/08/14
    EV Solo: 7/11/11 11/12/12 11/13/12
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    Not a huge RHCP but I think my favorite song by them is Soul to Squeeze... too bad it didn't make an album, think it's on the soundtrack to the Coneheads movie though.
    soul to squeeze is available on the greatest hits cd.
  • dustinparduedustinpardue Las Vegas, NV Posts: 1,829
    I definitely think By The Way is their best. I was disappointed with Stadium Arcadium, not that it isn't a good record but I think for me it was impossible to live up to By the Way
    "All I Ever Knew" available now in print and digital formats at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iBooks.
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,825
    their early stuff is pretty amazing. 'Freaky Styley' from 1985 is produced by George Clinton. I'd try that before I checked out any of their adult contemporary, snoozefest as of late (Stadium Arcadium).
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,084
    wot no love for Californication? :D its my fave, just for Road Trippin alone..........also love By The Way too though, can't go wrong with those 2 (IMO)
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    Check out Mother's Milk. Fantastic album.

And of course, Blood Sugar should be compulsary in everyones collection.

Some great stuff on the older stuff aswell. The albums after Californacation is just ok.
    Not a huge fan of Stadium Arcadium.
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    Check out Mother's Milk. Fantastic album.

And of course, Blood Sugar should be compulsary in everyones collection.

Some great stuff on the older stuff aswell. The albums after Californacation is just ok.
    Not a huge fan of Stadium Arcadium.

Hell yeah, finally some appreciation for Mother's Milk.

That was going to be my recommendation. That and Blood Sugar Sex Magik. I would have to say, at least in my opinion that those two are their strongest efforts.
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • whgarrettwhgarrett Posts: 574
    I just have to respond to someone earlier stating that Stadium Arcadium was known as the Pepper's "sell out" album. That's complete bullshit. For OLD SCHOOL fans BSSM was a sell out. That being said, I like all the albums except one hot minute with Navarro. ;)
  • Stephen FlowStephen Flow Posts: 3,327
    whgarrett wrote:
    I just have to respond to someone earlier stating that Stadium Arcadium was known as the Pepper's "sell out" album. That's complete bullshit. For OLD SCHOOL fans BSSM was a sell out. That being said, I like all the albums except one hot minute with Navarro. ;)

I don't like One Hot Minute all too much either, but I gotta admit I do like Aeroplane.
  • doujodoujo Posts: 285
    I highly recommend Blood Sugar and The Uplift Mofo Party Plan. Both are awesome albums. I also really love One Hot Minute. People don't give it any love but it's one hell of an album. Navarro is fn sweet on it. I would stay away from By the Way and Stadium Arcadium to start with. Both are pretty boring after 1 or 2 listens.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,963
    BSSM
    Mother's Mild
    Californication

all solid

someone mentioned 'soul to squeeze' earlier in the thread...no offense, but i can't stand that song. what baffles the hell outta me is the staying power it's had on rock stations over the years.
    I love to turn you on
  • blondieblue227blondieblue227 Va, USA Posts: 4,505
    Californication and by the way are my favs. good beach music.

they're my 3rd fav band and it blows that they suck live.

i will get to see the drummer thou this summer. i have chicken foot tixs.
    *~Pearl Jam will be blasted from speakers until morale improves~*

• Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    Blood Sugar is the definitive chili peppers album, with all due respect to their earlier work, but its the best realized example of what they were trying to do.

I like the way they keep evolving, and Stadium was really damn good, but I believe the original question was where to start in their body of work, and Blood Sugar Sex Magic is where you should start since its got the best of their trademark hard-edged party funk-rock and it represents the beginning of adding more dimensions to their sound with Under The Bride and Breaking the Girl.

More importantly, what's the deal with the chili peppers? I know they're like on hiatus, but for how long?
    Blood Sugar is the definitive chili peppers album, with all due respect to their earlier work, but its the best realized example of what they were trying to do.

I like the way they keep evolving, and Stadium was really damn good, but I believe the original question was where to start in their body of work, and Blood Sugar Sex Magic is where you should start since its got the best of their trademark hard-edged party funk-rock and it represents the beginning of adding more dimensions to their sound with Under The Bride and Breaking the Girl.

More importantly, what's the deal with the chili peppers? I know they're like on hiatus, but for how long?

Well I think I read in an article a few months back that the hiatus may have been extended to possibly another year. (Not sure if it's that long??). Flea is studing music at a university in California I think right now. Chad is touring with Chicken foot. Anthony Keidis is said to be sick and recieving medical care for kidney disease. (Just what I read, but he fired back at the media saying "he was fine, and leave his private life alone". Not sure really what John and Anthony are up too.
  • g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,120
    Mother's Milk and Californication are my favs, love that song Sexy Mexican Maid.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Wolf At BayWolf At Bay Posts: 236
    red mos wrote:
    Well I think I read in an article a few months back that the hiatus may have been extended to possibly another year. (Not sure if it's that long??). Flea is studing music at a university in California I think right now. Chad is touring with Chicken foot. Anthony Keidis is said to be sick and recieving medical care for kidney disease. (Just what I read, but he fired back at the media saying "he was fine, and leave his private life alone". Not sure really what John and Anthony are up too.

Well John put out another solo album, but as far as I know he hasn't toured for it, which he should, because its a really cool record.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited July 2015
    Stadium Arcadium reissues happening for $39.99 (http://www.soundstagedirect.com/red-hot-chili-peppers-stadium-arcadium-vinyl-4lps.shtml)!!!!

So stoked!

Glad I didn't cave on this one for ridiculous amounts of money.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • TGardenTGarden Posts: 56
    I need this, to bad the shipping cost to Sweden is ridiculous.
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,579
    Blood Sugar Sex Magic
    Californication
    One Hot Minute